Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Old People Die

Why Old People Die
This isn't a humorous post, and I'm not making light of death.  But at 72, I think I am beginning to understand why we die.  I don't mean biologically or accidentally; that can happen at any time and there are biological limitations.

What I mean is that eventually we realize that society and technology has gotten beyond us and we just start to shut down in a way.  Every year, I sense that I am understanding the world less well than I used to.  In the 70s, I learned to program in Fortran, Basic, and COBOL.  I knew all the cool tech and games (I have a bag of Atari Awards). I pirated programs on my Commodore 64.  In the 90s, I was the Telecommunications Manager for a minor Federal Agency.  I knew Blackberries inside and out, etc.

But I retired when I realized I wasn't "keeping up".  Stuff was getting beyond my experience and comprehension.  Last year, I bought my first smartphone.  I can't do a damn thing with it.  The manual assumes I know the basics, and a book I bought does the same.  Neither tells me how to navigate through the screens to get at what I want and I don't have grandkids around to help me.  

I'm "OK" on the desktop computer.  I can find any app I want (when did they go from "programs" to "apps"?).  I can do most anything I want there because it is "all right there".  But I can't figure out my smartphone.  I can't seem to make it go anywhere I want. Apparently, I should already know that, like knowing how to use a spoon.

And I suddenly realized by reading about 'Gas' that I have no idea how society works anymore.  It's apparently a place where you send anonymous messages to people to compliment them.  Why?  I don't know, but it seems important to get or send those.  Sort of like "participant trophies of a decade ago, but I didn't understand those either.

I don't really understand "social media" in general.  I have places I visit to discuss things, people I email regularly (and actually, they are just old style letters), and
I do some internet research of particular subjects.  The idea of being "in touch" 24/7 baffles me.

So I suspect I am slowly losing contact with the "modern world".  And it probably has an affect.  I think you can die mentally as well as biologically.  In 15-20 years (I'm healthy) I will lose all connectivity to the world.  And I will slowly shut down as a result.  I suspect (without a lot of evidence) that you can die just because you don't feel you "belong" to the world anymore.

I am not in the least suicidal, but I'm beginning to wonder why I am still here...

Thoughts?  Consider
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Dom

Why Old People Die
I always say "getting old sucks...but it beats dying young."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dom

Why Old People Die
(11-21-2022, 10:03 PM)Cavebear Wrote: This isn't a humorous post, and I'm not making light of death.  But at 72, I think I am beginning to understand why we die.  I don't mean biologically or accidentally; that can happen at any time and there are biological limitations.

What I mean is that eventually we realize that society and technology has gotten beyond us and we just start to shut down in a way.  Every year, I sense that I am understanding the world less well than I used to.  In the 70s, I learned to program in Fortran, Basic, and COBOL.  I knew all the cool tech and games (I have a bag of Atari Awards). I pirated programs on my Commodore 64.  In the 90s, I was the Telecommunications Manager for a minor Federal Agency.  I knew Blackberries inside and out, etc.

But I retired when I realized I wasn't "keeping up".  Stuff was getting beyond my experience and comprehension.  Last year, I bought my first smartphone.  I can't do a damn thing with it.  The manual assumes I know the basics, and a book I bought does the same.  Neither tells me how to navigate through the screens to get at what I want and I don't have grandkids around to help me.  

I'm "OK" on the desktop computer.  I can find any app I want (when did they go from "programs" to "apps"?).  I can do most anything I want there because it is "all right there".  But I can't figure out my smartphone.  I can't seem to make it go anywhere I want.  Apparently, I should already know that, like knowing how to use a spoon.

And I suddenly realized by reading about 'Gas' that I have no idea how society works anymore.  It's apparently a place where you send anonymous messages to people to compliment them.  Why?  I don't know, but it seems important to get or send those.  Sort of like "participant trophies of a decade ago, but I didn't understand those either.

I don't really understand "social media" in general.  I have places I visit to discuss things, people I email regularly (and actually, they are just old style letters), and
I do some internet research of particular subjects.  The idea of being "in touch" 24/7 baffles me.

So I suspect I am slowly losing contact with the "modern world".  And it probably has an affect.  I think you can die mentally as well as biologically.  In 15-20 years (I'm healthy) I will lose all connectivity to the world.  And I will slowly shut down as a result.  I suspect (without a lot of evidence) that you can die just because you don't feel you "belong" to the world anymore.

I am not in the least suicidal, but I'm beginning to wonder why I am still here...

Thoughts?  Consider

I can work the smart phone, but I tend to keep it in my purse and the battery runs out. I can't for the life of me understand why people like being interrupted by calls during any activity. I can understand teens wanting that, and I understand adults using it for work purposes, but why would you want to talk on the phone while going for a walk or sitting on a beach or whatever? You miss the experience!

When you get old, your world shrinks. For young folks, the world keeps expanding, when you get old it shrinks. For me mostly for physical, medical reasons, I still feel mentally up to date. A lot of things have changed in Bear's field of work, some things changed in mine too, but not as drastically. I could still maneuver. 

You're ready to go when you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. Or when you realize you are living on borrowed time, since most of your peers are dead. I'm ready to go in that way, but I still live and learn and have fun. To me, keeping learning is important.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Cavebear, c172, Fireball

Why Old People Die
There's a certain charm in knowing how old technology worked.  I have had a problem with passwords changing every 90 days for security.  Most of my accounts are so secure that they have locked me out.

You are more than the sum of your tech know-how.  There is a reason old folks are revered in many cultures.  True wisdom takes time.
The following 1 user Likes Vorpal's post:
  • Cavebear

Why Old People Die
(11-21-2022, 11:32 PM)Vorpal Wrote: There's a certain charm in knowing how old technology worked.  I have had a problem with passwords changing every 90 days for security.  Most of my accounts are so secure that they have locked me out.

You are more than the sum of your tech know-how.  There is a reason old folks are revered in many cultures.  True wisdom takes time.

I keep my passwords (all weird) on an Excel spreadsheet on a standalone computer I use otherwise for non-online games (I play Civ2 a lot). And then print them out for a binder to reference easily. Sometimes the best security is not an app. ROFL2

Yeah, saying you "forgot" your password is annoying when you didn't actually "forget" it but they just demand you change it. They always love to make it "your fault". LOL!

Why Old People Die
I finally gave in and got a smart phone. I don't receive calls on it, just texts. I also use it for maps/gps (driving stuff). I use a more traditional computers for everything else.
The following 1 user Likes rocinantexyz's post:
  • Cavebear

Why Old People Die
(11-21-2022, 11:50 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote: I finally gave in and got a smart phone. I don't receive calls on it, just texts. I also use it for maps/gps (driving stuff). I use a more traditional computers for everything else.

That's pretty much why I bought one too. Though I don't do texts yet. I tried it once and I think my fingers are too fat. I need to get one of those old eraser pens. Or maybe it needs the human electricity to work.