Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy international singles' day!

Well, apparently it's today!

As Fernando Pessoa, possibly the greatest Portuguese poet (though he can be a bit much) said: "If you cannot be alone, you were born a slave."

And another of his quotes: "Solitude desolates me, company oppresses me."

Here's one of the most charming models I've folded, called Sailing Heart (folded from a single 15cm square).

“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • Astreja, Szuchow, Dom, GenesisNemesis, Unsapien

As a convert from serial monogamy to single-by-choice, I heartily approve of this holiday.  Thumbs Up
The following 3 users Like Astreja's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom, Gwaithmir

I've flown solo for much of my life, and it takes a special gal to change that.

To me it's about understanding the difference between "loneliness" and "solitude".
On hiatus.

I liked being married, and I like living alone. Both my marriages were to people like me - people who require a good amount of solitude, and it is one of the things that made things work.

I am now living alone by choice and will not pair up with anyone anymore. There is a lot of freedom in living alone, no one to consider but myself. And my pets, lol, so I am not actually alone. They are plenty of good company for me.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir

(11-11-2022, 10:32 PM)Dom Wrote: I liked being married, and I like living alone. Both my marriages were to people like me - people who require a good amount of solitude, and it is one of the things that made things work.

I am now living alone by choice and will not pair up with anyone anymore. There is a lot of freedom in living alone, no one to consider but myself. And my pets, lol, so I am not actually alone. They are plenty of good company for me.

Though I'm a bit younger than you are, I've come to the same conclusion about myself. I doubt I could find a woman who'd put up with me anyways.
On hiatus.

Your art is beautiful, Vera! 

I enjoyed my single years a ton.  Learned a lot and had so much fun.

You might be amused to learn that a bunch of conservative pundits here in the US are blaming the red ripple-rather-than-wave in the midterm elections on single women. Those pesky unattached females, wanting control over their reproductive rights and stuff, amiright? The commentators are urging single men to “put a ring on it.” Somehow i don’t think this advice is going to resonate with singles of any gender or orientation.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Szuchow

I like being alone. Perhaps a bit too much. I'm planning to shake that up in the new year.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis

I've been single for so long that I can't even imagine living with a partner but curiously enough it is my family that is upset over it not I.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis

Always been single. Never even dated. Between my disability and having gone to four high schools in three states, it just wasn't happening. Kind of missed some of the normal social targets of child/human development.

I've had periods of loneleiness because of it. I've not been immune to a major crush here and there. But at 46, I am starting to witness that marriage is harder than it used to be, for reasons probably biblical. My grandparents were married for 66 years. Death did them part. As a kid, I felt like that was how it was supposed to be, and that divorce was a failure.

I think I still fear divorce for different reasons now. It just seems like it is sometimes stressful, even if it's obviously for the best. And if there are kids in the balance, then it's even harder. Luckily I can't look back and say that I've ever seriously wanted kids. In recent years, I have felt like having a wife and kids might adversely impact my relationship with my nuclear family (which is just my parents).

I dunno. I'm behind in certain experiences. But regardless, I am overall happy as single. Whatever stresses I have pale, I'd think.
Is this sig thing on?

My ugly mug pretty much guarantees solitude. For anyone foolhardy enough to brave the perils of this grotesque monstrosity, there's always my personality.

The thought of marriage and kids never appealed to me. Most of the young women I went to school with seemed only intent on marrying the best provider they could stand living with. I became a confirmed bachelor by the time I was in college and have never regretted it.  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Sometimes wonder what a relationship is like but I'm content with being single. One less thing to stress over.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow, Gwaithmir

Quote:Happy international shingles' day!
????
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(11-13-2022, 01:26 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
Quote:Happy international shingles' day!
????

I've had my shots!

(11-13-2022, 01:28 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(11-13-2022, 01:26 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: ????
Dog
I've had my shots!

Redo the distemper, please. Dog Dog Dog
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]