Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The News Keeps Getting Better

In at least this one category.

https://www.rawstory.com/americans-belief-in-god/

Quote:Americans’ belief in God hit an all-time low about 6 months ago — here's why

Quote:According to a 2022 Gallup survey, the percentage of people who believe in God has dropped from 98% in the 1950s to 81% today; among Americans under 30, it is down to an unprecedented 68%.

Up close, the trend looks even more dramatic. Only about half of Americans believe in “God as described in the Bible,” while about a quarter believe in a “higher power or spiritual force,” according to a Pew poll. Just one-third of Generation Z say they believe in God without a doubt.
Congregational membership, too, is at an all-time low. In 2021 Gallup found that, for the first time ever, fewer than half of Americans – 47% – were members of a church, synagogue or mosque.
Yet another crucial measure of institutional religion in the U.S., the percentage of people identifying as religious, is also at a low: About 1 in 5 adults now say they have no religious affiliation, up from 1 in 50 in 1960.
In short, when it comes to three key realms of religious life – belief, behavior and belonging – all are lower than they have ever been in American history.

And the fucks are scared shitless that they are losing their clout!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 8 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Dom, Inkubus, mordant, Thumpalumpacus, Reltzik, Free, Cavebear

(03-04-2023, 05:27 AM)Minimalist Wrote: In at least this one category.

Quote:Americans’ belief in God hit an all-time low about 6 months ago — here's why

Quote:According to a 2022 Gallup survey, the percentage of people who believe in God has dropped from 98% in the 1950s to 81% today; among Americans under 30, it is down to an unprecedented 68%.

Up close, the trend looks even more dramatic. Only about half of Americans believe in “God as described in the Bible,” while about a quarter believe in a “higher power or spiritual force,” according to a Pew poll. Just one-third of Generation Z say they believe in God without a doubt.
Congregational membership, too, is at an all-time low. In 2021 Gallup found that, for the first time ever, fewer than half of Americans – 47% – were members of a church, synagogue or mosque.
Yet another crucial measure of institutional religion in the U.S., the percentage of people identifying as religious, is also at a low: About 1 in 5 adults now say they have no religious affiliation, up from 1 in 50 in 1960.
In short, when it comes to three key realms of religious life – belief, behavior and belonging – all are lower than they have ever been in American history.

They're getting desperate, and they've still got the legislative, executive, and judicial power to do some pretty messed up stuff in a panic trying to reverse it, and when they screw that up in the most epic of shit shows they've still got guns.  The belief numbers trending downwards is a good thing, but it's also a sign things are about to get a whole lot worse on the way to getting better.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 3 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, rocinantexyz

Twitter is running rampant with the fucks. I had to learn to be careful with what I say so I don't get shadow banned, but I am a menace on Twitter for the religious right. The hate I get from them makes me feel all nice and tingly inside. Lost count of how many I managed to get banned by making them lose their shit on me.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 2 users Like Free's post:
  • Reltzik, Gwaithmir

Keep up the good work!
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Free

(03-05-2023, 03:30 AM)Free Wrote: Lost count of how many I managed to get banned by making them lose their shit on me.

I expect that, some day, belief in supernatural deities will go the way of flat Earth theory ideas. As science gradually continues to discover the non-deity origin and control of the universe, more and more people will just come to ignore the idea. The latest polls back that up. Thanks for the details.

Oddly, a lack of deity-believe will probably return us to our origins. There had to be a time when we ancient humans had no imaginings of deities and then "some damn idiot" got the idea to ask the Sun for a favor to be bright one morning and that happened randomly. Or something like that. And then he told his tribe that it worked.

100-20 thousand years of stupidity followed and it is not done yet. But "someday"...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(03-05-2023, 04:44 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I expect that, some day, belief in supernatural deities will go the way of flat Earth theory ideas.

You mean, some day believers in these supernatural deities will be creating conspiracy theorists cults of believers generations after the thing should have been dead and burred, who are now claiming they have the truth that the scientists are trying to hide from you and who pester everyone with this bizarro not-workable model for how the universe can be reconciled with their articles of faith and somehow getting WAY more time and traction than they ever rationally should?

... I mean, you're not WRONG in that expectation, but predicting it after it's happened is kinda playing on easy mode.

Tongue
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 2 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus

(03-05-2023, 07:21 AM)Reltzik Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 04:44 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I expect that, some day, belief in supernatural deities will go the way of flat Earth theory ideas.

You mean, some day believers in these supernatural deities will be creating conspiracy theorists cults of believers generations after the thing should have been dead and burred, who are now claiming they have the truth that the scientists are trying to hide from you and who pester everyone with this bizarro not-workable model for how the universe can be reconciled with their articles of faith and somehow getting WAY more time and traction than they ever rationally should?

... I mean, you're not WRONG in that expectation, but predicting it after it's happened is kinda playing on easy mode.

Tongue

You were good until you went off-logic saying "predicted it after it happened". It hasn't happened yet. The process is happening but not there yet.

Did you miss "some day"?

(03-05-2023, 07:40 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 07:21 AM)Reltzik Wrote: You mean, some day believers in these supernatural deities will be creating conspiracy theorists cults of believers generations after the thing should have been dead and burred, who are now claiming they have the truth that the scientists are trying to hide from you and who pester everyone with this bizarro not-workable model for how the universe can be reconciled with their articles of faith and somehow getting WAY more time and traction than they ever rationally should?

Tongue

You were good until you went off-logic saying "predicted it after it happened".  It hasn't happened yet.  The process is happening but not there yet.

Did you miss "some day"?

Nope, it's just it seems "some day" is already here.  Which part of that hasn't happened yet?

(Yes, I know you meant general loss of belief and were focusing on the overall trends rather than the minority of nuts, and you explicitly said as much.  I wasn't disagreeing, just sharing a bit of do-I-laugh-or-cry humor that was there to be mined out of your post.)
The following 1 user Likes Reltzik's post:
  • Cavebear

(03-05-2023, 07:57 AM)Reltzik Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 07:40 AM)Cavebear Wrote: You were good until you went off-logic saying "predicted it after it happened".  It hasn't happened yet.  The process is happening but not there yet.

Did you miss "some day"?

Nope, it's just it seems "some day" is already here.  Which part of that hasn't happened yet?

(Yes, I know you meant general loss of belief and were focusing on the overall trends rather than the minority of nuts, and you explicitly said as much.  I wasn't disagreeing, just sharing a bit of do-I-laugh-or-cry humor that was there to be mined out of your post.)

"Some day" will happen when the last theist dies. It won't happen in my lifetime. I wish it would so I could laugh about the last one. Sorry, I'm feeling kind of serious tonight... You do have some promise...

(03-05-2023, 03:35 AM)Inkubus Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 03:30 AM)Free Wrote: Lost count of how many I managed to get banned by making them lose their shit on me.

Dance
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

Quote:"Some day" will happen when the last theist dies.

It's already happened in Europe.  The churches are emptyfor the most part.  The US is not the whole world....although we do seem to have more than our share of jesus freak asswipes.

This is just what satan wants, a distressed US.

Everyone knows, the only thing stopping luci from taking over god's spot, is a fully functional U S of A.

America is mired in its own mess like any backwater.