Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life begins at 40 my arse!

It's all down hill when you hit 40.

I was as strong as a bull in a china shop.  Big Grin
Everything has gone tits up since then, I never went to the doctor's surgery before I turned 40  I'm there every week now.

The list of ailments has become endless, oh to be young again.

Feel free to list your ailments here.
The following 5 users Like Thingymebob's post:
  • Alan V, c172, Gwaithmir, Brian37, Phaedrus

In my 30s I could deadlift 325 pound engine blocks and put them in the bed of a truck, all by myself, and install automatic transmissions by dragging them up on my chest and pressing them up and mounting them to the engine, again by myself, except I needed a helper to move the rear crossmember for the transmission mount into place. Now, I'm a (literally) anemic 69 YO man with arthritic hands, feet and back. When I got married (1981), I was able to lift my wife up over my head. She only weighed 98 pounds in those days. Now, if she fell I wouldn't even be able to roll her over.  Whistling
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 5 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Thingymebob, SYZ, Szuchow, Gwaithmir, Deesse23

Oh for fuck's sake! 40 is very cool, you are old enough to know what you want and young enough to get it. If 40 is bad for you, wait until you are in your 70s, that's when the shit starts hitting the fan and it won't let up until you die. Creaking bones, not being able to get the dog's ball out from under the bed, becoming intolerant of foods you have loved and eaten all your life, moving like a snail, on and on it goes. And the sins of your youth come to haunt you. Slouch much? It sticks. Broke your leg? It'll hurt every time the weather changes. And people - they suddenly all assume you are stupid.

40 marks the time when you need to get off your duff and do the things you want to do. You got half of your life ahead of you. That's a whole lot of life, like you can live all over again. Figure out a road map, you're old enough now. The first twenty years you were either too young or too hormone driven to do a decent job. Then you got busy trying to get married and maybe have kids and all that. You're just coming into your own now.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • Fireball, Alan V, Minimalist, Thingymebob, TheGentlemanBastard, Antonio

I was in fine fettle at 40. In the intervening fifteen years, I've developed an incurable bone disease that inflicts me pain all the clock around. But I got out of bed under my own steam today so I don't see a need to complain.

Wish I were forty again, but with the insight these last fifteen years have given me. You win some, you lose some, and hopefully we can focus on the good. In short, growing old for me might have hurt, but it's got its good points too.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Thingymebob, TheGentlemanBastard, Dom, tomilay

I was okay into my early forties athletically and fit, playing basketball etc., but then weirdly it all hit at once, I couldn't do much of anything. Myself to blame, health wise. It is strange knowing this moment right now (mid 50s) is as good as it will ever be, and all is a slide downward now.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thingymebob

(03-25-2022, 01:00 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I was okay into my early forties athletically and fit, playing basketball etc., but then weirdly it all hit at once, I couldn't do much of anything.  Myself to blame, health wise.  It is strange knowing this moment right now (mid 50s) is as good as it will ever be, and all is a slide downward now.

Yes, but it's a very slow slide, barring unexpected health complications. Those can happen at any age.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thingymebob, Antonio

(03-25-2022, 01:20 AM)Dom Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 01:00 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I was okay into my early forties athletically and fit, playing basketball etc., but then weirdly it all hit at once, I couldn't do much of anything.  Myself to blame, health wise.  It is strange knowing this moment right now (mid 50s) is as good as it will ever be, and all is a slide downward now.

Yes, but it's a very slow slide, barring unexpected health complications. Those can happen at any age.

Death is inevitable, but at least in my case mortality has given me the courtesy of a notice. I know I'm growing older and know as well to value what I enjoy today ... while I can. Fair play, I think.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Thingymebob

To quote Rodney Dangerfield:

"“At this point the best I can hope for is that if I take very good care of myself, some day I'll get sick and die!”

Enjoy life while you can.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 6 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Dānu, Thingymebob, Antonio, Gwaithmir, tomilay

(03-24-2022, 10:40 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: Feel free to list your ailments here.

I've had knee problems since I was injured in eighth-grade football.  Subsequently I had three knee surgeries, and both knees were affected.  So I stopped participating in sports not too many years later and have nursed them along so far.  My sister is two years older and had both of her knees replaced already.

My main problem is borderline diabetes.  My A1C number keeps fluctuating, and my doctor keeps threatening to put me on even more medications.  I'm already taking seven pills a day, and I'm "only" in my sixties.

However, I feel pretty lucky.  My wife seems to have worse problems (sleeping and digestion), and she's almost seven years younger than I am.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Thingymebob, SYZ

(03-25-2022, 01:36 AM)Alan V Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 10:40 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: Feel free to list your ailments here.

I've had knee problems since I was injured in eighth-grade football.  Subsequently I had three knee surgeries, and both knees were affected.  So I stopped participating in sports not too many years later and have nursed them along so far.  My sister is two years older and had both of her knees replaced already.

My main problem is borderline diabetes.  My A1C number keeps fluctuating, and my doctor keeps threatening to put me on even more medications.  I'm already taking seven pills a day, and I'm "only" in my sixties.

However, I feel pretty lucky.  My wife seems to have worse problems (sleeping and digestion), and she's almost seven years younger than I am.

Stop eating all those carbs.  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Alan V

[Image: MjAxMy0zOWQ4MThlNWUzMWUyZGY0.png]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • c172, Thingymebob, Dom, Antonio

Well, technically, life after 40, begins at 40.

Unless humans are some form of an underdeveloped Danny DeVito in Twins Yoda type species.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Thingymebob, Dancefortwo

Perfectly healthy here, 71 yo. Be jealous.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thingymebob, Minimalist, Antonio, Brian37

I was still getting carded at liquor stores and restaurants at 40 and didn’t notice real changes in stamina and creakiness until around 10 years later. I don’t know if I have any actual ailments (don’t go to doctors, too expensive and I don’t like that experience). i have to stretch more, my joints hate me for the first five minutes every day, and it’s harder to drive at night...glare from headlights bothers me more than it used to.
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • Thingymebob, Szuchow, Antonio, tomilay

(03-25-2022, 01:36 AM)Alan V Wrote: However, I feel pretty lucky.  My wife seems to have worse problems (sleeping and digestion), and she's almost seven years younger than I am.

Same here.  I'm no picture of health but my wife (two years younger) has over time passed me in ailments and health woes.  A bit scary, I always assumed I would die first and not have to worry about life without her.  I'm probably still more likely to get something drop-dead sudden though.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Alan V

Look at Jerry baiting such a fatburger.
On hiatus.

I am lucky. Old and still reasonably healthy with all the old people problems that Dom mentioned. 
I had my life it was good . I'm ready for the end , whenever
 All I know is that I know nothing
The following 1 user Likes Antonio's post:
  • SYZ

A John LeCarre book (forget which one - featured a traitor but they all do) had a line that stuck in my head - "He was in his early fifties, and in his prime."

I'm happier in my late 50s than in my late 40s. Kids are grown so more freedom, making more money than ever so fun things to do with the freedom.
The following 6 users Like Percie's post:
  • SYZ, Dom, Thingymebob, Alan V, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

(04-07-2022, 02:30 PM)Percie Wrote: A John LeCarre book (forget which one - featured a traitor but they all do) had a line that stuck in my head - "He was in his early fifties, and in his prime."

I'm happier in my late 50s than in my late 40s. Kids are grown so more freedom, making more money than ever so fun things to do with the freedom.

The lesson I've learnt the last fifteen years is that life is what you make of it, and that happiness can come from tough times too.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom

(03-24-2022, 10:40 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: It's all down hill when you hit 40.

I was as strong as a bull in a china shop.  Big Grin
Everything has gone tits up since then, I never went to the doctor's surgery before I turned 40  I'm there every week now.

The list of ailments has become endless, oh to be young again.

Feel free to list your ailments here.

I am 55 and I get it, my body cannot do what it used to, say like when I was 20 years old. I have chronic back pain. It all started when I was 14 jumping up and down on my bed in the basement. The carpet was outdoor carpet, and there was no padding underneath the carpeting, it was nothing but hard cement. My head hit the unfinished ceiling I beam, and I slipped off the side of the bed and landed smack down on my back. Now while I never went to orthopedic doctor, I did see a chiropractor. I consider them to be nothing but glorified knuckle crackers. He was able to "crack" my back forcing the herniated disk back into place. But that was always a temporary fix. I learned to "pop" my back into place, but it never gave me long lasting relief. Just like one can crack their knuckles, and it feels good for a while, but then you need to do it again. I swear I hairline fractured a vertebrae which never healed properly. Since then my back doesn't like any long term sitting or standing or laying down. 

But even without that, I do feel my joints, like my ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows and hands stiffen up. I think that could be an indicator of arthritis. 

Point being, the cliche "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is bullshit.
 Check out my atheist poetry here... https://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771 I also go by "RationalPoet"@brianrrs37 on Twitter and "Brian James" Rational Poet on FB. 
The following 2 users Like Brian37's post:
  • Dom, Alan V

I recently turned 52 and all those old injuries have caught up with me. Suffice it to say, I long for the days when ‘Roll out of bed’ was just an expression.

Boru
The following 2 users Like BrianSoddingBoru5's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

Coming up on 65 and no RX medications (OTC supplements/NSAIDS only) or MD visits (except yearly check). There is no rhyme or reason, I've certainly abused my body and mind over many many years. I've got a loose knee (ACL and meniscus tears) but no pain......... yet.

My hope is that I'll degrade all at once. When that time comes I have an exit strategy.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

I was 42 when I first began experiencing the symptoms of osteoarthritis.  Sad
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Caught the flu for the first time in twenty years, that's about it. Oh, it was bad. Had it for two months straight.

My 40s were okay but my 50s kicked my butt...that decade came in with breast cancer and went out with a heart attack. Almost 65 now and could easily sleep most of the day away given the chance. A bad, not clearly diagnosed, ailment set in a couple years ago that caused a mysterious weight loss which weakened me further. That's better and I have managed to put some weight back on. Suspected is long COVID and for that I am on an inhaler that's typically used for COPD that has made quite a welcome difference.
The following 1 user Likes arewethereyet's post:
  • Alan V