Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Have Driven on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn...They Aren't Exaggerating

(11-19-2021, 11:58 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I pissed in a ziploc while trying to clear the Sepulveda Pass one day. Good thing #2 wasn't that urgent.

Should've checked yer shorts.  Girl_yes2
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(11-20-2021, 03:46 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(11-19-2021, 04:47 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(11-19-2021, 04:26 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: When I lived in Los Angeles I drove over the Sepulveda Pass many times.  It's not fun.  I think the worst driving experience in LA was when I was about 7 months pregnant and I got stuck on the 405, though not in the Sepulveda Pass area.  There was a huge semi truck crash involving several cars and traffic was at a standstill.  I couldn't get off the freeway because I was between off ramps and so I just sat there.  When a woman is pregnant sometime hunger hits very quickly and suddenly I was famished but I had nothing in the car to eat.  I laid down to try and save energy.  I started to become faint but I think it was mostly out of fear and panic.  Eventually the traffic inched along and I got to an exit ramp and found the nearest convenience store and bought something to eat.   I hated LA traffic.  I hated Los Angeles just on general principle.  What a miserable place to live.

Preach it, sista. To paraphrase Sherman, or was it Sheridan, I forget: "If I owned Hell and Los Angeles, I'd live in Hell and rent LA out."

Probably Boston, given the era.  Tongue

He actually said that about Texas.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

This whole self driving car thing...I think not. I'll pass. I don't even see any need for it other than to prove it can be done. My issue is mostly with trusting a computer to not do what computers do. Crash, freeze up, execute the wrong program, become infected with a virus etc. No thanks.
The following 2 users Like PunkRockAtheist's post:
  • mordant, Alan V

(11-28-2021, 09:09 PM)PunkRockAtheist Wrote: This whole self driving car thing...I think not. I'll pass. I don't even see any need for it other than to prove it can be done. My issue is mostly with trusting a computer to not do what computers do. Crash, freeze up, execute the wrong program, become infected with a virus etc. No thanks.
Yeah, pretty much.

Look, I'm a software developer, and IF such things lived up to their hype (e.g., it could be statistically demonstrated that it's much safer to ride in a self-driving car), it would be great. I would love to play cards or read a book or take a nap while a car took me someplace. I'd love not to have to drive a car unless I were in the mood. The problem, as you point out, is that no software has yet been written that can be trusted to self-heal, self-correct, and self-direct, much less handle novel situations or simply not crash (the car, or itself). Software is part engineering, part craft, and part black art. We have not yet figured out how to manage that much complexity.

Besides we have several equivalents to the self-driving experience. They're called things like "bus" and "taxi" and "Uber". It's telling that we have less problems trusting a random stranger to drive us someplace than a powerful computer. I don't understand the Elon Musk fanboys who are willing to fork over an extra $10K for a future self-driving feature that probably will never be delivered.

My humble Hyundai Ioniq EV nudges the wheel left or right when I get to close to the centerline or the edge markings on the road. It also has a feature that suggests I might want to take a break when my attentiveness drops below a certain level. This and the chimes that go off when someone is passing me in my blind spot are great safety features, but keep the responsibility squarely where it belongs: the driver. And that's where it's going to stay, I think, for at least another generation, if not longer. AI has been seriously over-hyped.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Alan V, SYZ

(11-28-2021, 09:09 PM)PunkRockAtheist Wrote: This whole self driving car thing...I think not. I'll pass. I don't even see any need for it other than to prove it can be done. My issue is mostly with trusting a computer to not do what computers do. Crash, freeze up, execute the wrong program, become infected with a virus etc. No thanks.

You make some really good points, there.

Of course human drivers get drunk, text while driving, shoot at each other in road rage incidents and drive the wrong way on one way roads.

Perhaps the only solution is to stay off the roads?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”