Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deathbed Dilemmas

Deathbed Dilemmas
(10-18-2021, 04:29 PM)JJonas93 Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 03:11 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Hospice often gets a really bad rap (being called "the death house" for example) but I was pleasantly surprised when I spent time in one during my training, I'd say about 90% of the work was about achieving symptom relief and patient comfort, after which they would return home to their families, there were many more discharges home than actual deaths. I would always advocate for hospice care, its so much more than dumping someone in a bed filling them full of opiates and waiting for them to die.

I have always heard great feedback about hospice workers. Never heard it referred to derogatively.

I agree, hospice tends to be a great option for those who want it. And especially so if the patient can remain at home and receive hospice visits - luckily that is often available.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • adey67

Deathbed Dilemmas
(10-18-2021, 02:29 PM)skyking Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 07:45 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 12:44 PM)skyking Wrote: when they draw the line on the internet for what I can and cannot write about, I'll worry about that then. Until then .......

It's simply not a matter of what "they" do or don't do. Are you going to maybe
write next about the pros and cons of sexual abuse?  The anonymity of the WWW
definitely doesn't give you any "right" to publicly post your opinions regardless of
their content—particularly in the matter of suicide.

BTW, who exactly are "they"?  Clinical professionals, or just some random bloke
on the internet?

(I've posted a link supporting my opinion;  can you do the same?)

Dom said it well. Thousands of people make their own exits across the world, and many of them are NOT suffering from a temporary mental condition. Many of those people are indeed depressed, because a painful terminal condition is pretty damn depressing. Your sexual abuse strawman is beyond offensive and you can piss right off about that. Don't do that shit here ever again mate.

I'll ignore the fact that you've totally misrepresented the gist of my comments
about posting the actual mechanics of a potential suicidal method in a
public forum.

I can only suggest you re-read my comments, and check out the link I posted.

—"Limit discussion about methods of harm.  Talking in graphic detail
about the method of suicide can create images that are upsetting and
can increase the risk of copying behaviour by people who are at risk of
suicide

Details about the method or location of a suicide death should be avoided,
especially in a group or as part of public conversations.  This also means
working with people who might be telling their personal story to consider
what details may be provided about a suicide attempt or death."

Furthermore, if you have any concerns about the content of my posting, feel free
to PM a moderator.     BTW... I'm not your "mate".
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Deathbed Dilemmas
(10-18-2021, 06:15 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 02:29 PM)skyking Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 07:45 AM)SYZ Wrote: It's simply not a matter of what "they" do or don't do. Are you going to maybe
write next about the pros and cons of sexual abuse?  The anonymity of the WWW
definitely doesn't give you any "right" to publicly post your opinions regardless of
their content—particularly in the matter of suicide.

BTW, who exactly are "they"?  Clinical professionals, or just some random bloke
on the internet?

(I've posted a link supporting my opinion;  can you do the same?)

Dom said it well. Thousands of people make their own exits across the world, and many of them are NOT suffering from a temporary mental condition. Many of those people are indeed depressed, because a painful terminal condition is pretty damn depressing. Your sexual abuse strawman is beyond offensive and you can piss right off about that. Don't do that shit here ever again mate.

I'll ignore the fact that you've totally misrepresented the gist of my comments
about posting the actual mechanics of a potential suicidal method in a
public forum.

I can only suggest you re-read my comments, and check out the link I posted.

—"Limit discussion about methods of harm.  Talking in graphic detail
about the method of suicide can create images that are upsetting and
can increase the risk of copying behaviour by people who are at risk of
suicide

Details about the method or location of a suicide death should be avoided,
especially in a group or as part of public conversations.  This also means
working with people who might be telling their personal story to consider
what details may be provided about a suicide attempt or death."

Furthermore, if you have any concerns about the content of my posting, feel free
to PM a moderator.     BTW... I'm not your "mate".

Nobody talked of the method in graphic detail.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, skyking

Deathbed Dilemmas
(10-18-2021, 04:29 PM)JJonas93 Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 03:11 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Hospice often gets a really bad rap (being called "the death house" for example) but I was pleasantly surprised when I spent time in one during my training, I'd say about 90% of the work was about achieving symptom relief and patient comfort, after which they would return home to their families, there were many more discharges home than actual deaths. I would always advocate for hospice care, its so much more than dumping someone in a bed filling them full of opiates and waiting for them to die.

I have always heard great feedback about hospice workers. Never heard it referred to derogatively.

That's great to hear, sadly I have and frequently from people that would benefit greatly from their imput.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

Deathbed Dilemmas
Hospice care in Australia predated the opening of St Christophers in London by 79 years.
The Irish Sisters of Charity opened hospices in Sydney in 1889, and in Melbourne in 1938.
Canada and the US didn't establish hospices until the mid-1970s, with India and China in
the mid-1980s.

I know in Australia, hospice care and palliative care are often but erroneously used to mean
the same thing.  Both palliative care and hospice care provide comfort. But palliative care can
begin at diagnosis, and at the same time as treatment. Hospice care begins after treatment
of the disease is stopped and when it's clear that the person is not going to survive the illness.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Deathbed Dilemmas
Personally, I've made my wishes very clear. When I'm dead, shoot me out of a cannon for all I care. I don't want a priest or anything like that involved in my death. [Edit: to add onto this, I've asked for the Klingon death ritual - you open the deceased eyes and scream into their face. This is a warning to the "other side" that you are on the way. Then the body is put in the trash]

For my family, outside of my dad - pretty much everybody else is either Christian or involved in some form of Christian based religion, even if through others [for example: Fairly sure my grandfather is atheist, but his wife is heavy catholic, so he'll be getting the works when he passes away]. However, thats them and not me - I know, for example, my mother will have a heavily Christian funeral when the time comes, and I'm ok with that. Its what she will want and I'm not against that at all.
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Dom, JJonas93