Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New robots patrolling for 'anti-social behaviour' causing unease in Singapore street

New robots patrolling for 'anti-social behaviour' causing unease in Singapore street
I have nothing to fear from shot spotters and neither does any lawful person. They serve a purpose when 911 is called for shots fired, and they can triangulate the real location. There is no valid reason to be firing off a gun in the city.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-11-2021, 06:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 03:37 PM)Dom Wrote: My early memories are the best! No one will erase them, they are mine!

For me, many are rough, and still others are splendid. I wouldn't trade any of them, because they all go into making me who I am.

I could trade in a few memories if I could choose them specifically from a list. The question is would that change my new personality much. I might be a better person without them, or not. Who can tell beforehand? But I might sleep better at night not reviewing some things I wish I had done differently or not at all.

I am risk-averse legally and financially, but not so sure about memories. It is an interesting question. Who here doesn't have some memory they could do without?
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(10-12-2021, 03:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 03:07 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 01:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Having one's points waved away without a single bit of reasoning being offered is to my mind quite rude, so yes, you got Truculent Thump. If you want to address my points going forward, kindly address them, rather than simply quote them in order to be dismissive.

Your idea of what is rude is different than mine.  I thought the implications of what I originally said were enough to answer you, then you requested me to detail my thinking even after I responded in some detail to Teresa.  So I did so.  I don't see how rudeness figures into the situation.

Whatever.

See how rude that is? What person doesn't regard dismissiveness as rudeness?

Discussion is truncated when you're discussing via implication. After you replied to Teresa, I specifically pointed out your refusal to discuss my points in-depth. Maybe that's rude to you, but I don't care. When you treat me rudely -- i.e. in this case being dismissive -- you will be treated likewise in return. I make change in the coin tendered.

Anyway, I'm done derailing this thread. In the future, if you quote me, address my points, please. Discussion by implication is like fucking while wearing an astronaut's suit.

I didn't see his reply as rude. He didn't reply according to your specifications but he did reply to you substantively. He wasn't dismissive. If you took it as dismissive, that's on you. For someone who incessantly tells people how unaffected he is, you're awfully easily triggered.

So, you're full of shit. And your attitude is rather tiresome.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(10-13-2021, 04:48 AM)skyking Wrote: I have nothing to fear from shot spotters and neither does any lawful person. They serve a purpose when 911 is called for shots fired, and they can triangulate the real location. There is no valid reason to be firing off a gun in the city.

If that is all they did....
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Tres Leches

(10-13-2021, 01:52 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 12:37 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 02:16 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: This is a rather overly optimistic view. Private corporations' only concerns are to make lots of money and keep their shareholders happy. Governmental jurisdictions have no interest in reigning in companies that take their money-grubbing tech too far because those same gov't officials are getting $$ in the form of "campaign donations" from those tech companies.
But I do agree that the slippery slope argument doesn't apply here. We've already slid to the bottom.

-Teresa

I have read this kind of assessment again and again in this forum, and still don't understand it.  So perhaps you can clarify what you meant.

In my opinion, the profit motive (the desire for money) is based not only on people having to make a living, but on people wanting to contribute to others.  You have to appeal to a rather wide audience with your product or service to make a lot of money (unless you are selling it only to a few rich people who can afford to support your whole effort).  That means that money, in itself, is a roughly accurate measure of human service.  We effectively vote for the kind of world we want not just by voting for the representatives we want, but also by what we buy in the marketplace.  Most politicians understand that people need jobs and to serve others, and they accept monetary support as an essential part of what they do to promote human interests.  It's just a part of people working together for common goals.  The bigger the human interests involved, the more money in the system to support them.

That profit motive can no doubt be distorted through the unequal distribution of rewards from the system, through bribery and so on, but I still assume those are a minority of cases and not an overriding trend.  I guess that's what you are calling optimistic, but I think any other view of human nature is jumping to unwarranted conclusions considering how much actually works in our own culture.  People complain against the wealthy, but most U.S. citizens are the wealthy compared with most of the rest of the world's population.  I attribute more of the stress on workers to over-population and competition than to the evils of wealth, though even then the U.S. is holding its own fairly well, relatively speaking.

We do have laws in place that work to mitigate distortions in the use of money to whatever extent.  But you will always have a minority of people with criminal intentions who game the system, as well as petty criminals.  Thus the need for surveillance among other measures, and perhaps even robots to watch what happens.  They are just an extension of such surveillance in the instance being discussed, although of course Singapore with its strict cultural values is on the cutting edge of this.

"Sliding to the bottom" would seem to entail letting criminals free to run amok.  So again, perhaps you could clarify.

I typed out a detailed response, hit the wrong button and lost it.  Big Grin Story of my life.

Surveillance is a real life concern for me. I'm not a criminal or a fugitive but the government must be kept in check and every leader should be kept in check, not just the leaders we don't like. 

The jurisdiction in which I live uses automated license plate readers.
https://www.eff.org/pages/automated-lice...aders-alpr
I don't want to say precisely where I live but I was just on the police department website and it says they scanned about 11 million license plates in 2019 using automated license plate readers. This is a jurisdiction with a population of about 90,000.

A store a few blocks from me has a Shot Spotter, which is a listening device parked in the middle of the parking lot that's supposed to alert the police when there are gunshots fired. (Whatever happened to calling 911?)
https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-techno...on-system/

After I read about bluetooth beacons, I saw that my favorite convenience store down the street has them. And it seems they're everywhere else.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019...ivacy.html

To what end is all my information being collected? Why am I not allowed to opt out or charge companies money that want to monetize my personal life?

The horse has left the barn but leaders who are able to put the brakes on constant surveillance and privacy violations have barely lifted a finger.

-Teresa

Businesses often want my phone number and email address. I offer to sell it to them. None has ever offerred a dime. I guess they don't value it if it isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Tres Leches

(10-13-2021, 04:01 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 04:48 AM)skyking Wrote: I have nothing to fear from shot spotters and neither does any lawful person. They serve a purpose when 911 is called for shots fired, and they can triangulate the real location. There is no valid reason to be firing off a gun in the city.

If that is all they did....
as far as I can tell, that is it. They identify the sharp high decibels of a gunshot over the city background noise. I can't believe that they would be effective for traditional eavesdropping.
test signature
  • Dom

Here's another real life story:
One of my best friends is Ukrainian and lived in the Soviet Union. Her father had a typewriter and he had to register this with the gov't. As quaint as this may sound nowadays, he wasn't a dissident or an unlawful person. But the govt decided it needed to keep a tight rein on its people who were simply going about their everyday business and deemed unregistered typewriters unlawful.

(10-13-2021, 04:48 AM)skyking Wrote: I have nothing to fear from shot spotters registering my typewriter and neither does any lawful person. They serve a purpose when 911 is called for shots fired, and they can triangulate the real location a government decides it wants to watch people closely and protect others from lawbreakers. There is no valid reason to be firing off a gun in the city expect the ability to walk through a public parking lot without a listening device nearby.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Mr Greene

(10-13-2021, 04:47 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Businesses often want my phone number and email address.  I offer to sell it to them.  None has ever offerred a dime.  I guess they don't value it if it isn't free.

That's a huge pet peeve for me. I'm buying a bottle of shampoo with cash, why do they need my phone number and email address?
My response to the retailer is always "I'll pass" and that seems to work.
Until my cell phone pings off the bluetooth beacons.   Cranky

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Cavebear

(10-13-2021, 08:16 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: Here's another real life story:
One of my best friends is Ukrainian and lived in the Soviet Union. Her father had a typewriter and he had to register this with the gov't. As quaint as this may sound nowadays, he wasn't a dissident or an unlawful person. But the govt decided it needed to keep a tight rein on its people who were simply going about their everyday business and deemed unregistered typewriters unlawful.

(10-13-2021, 04:48 AM)skyking Wrote: I have nothing to fear from shot spotters registering my typewriter and neither does any lawful person. They serve a purpose when 911 is called for shots fired, and they can triangulate the real location a government decides it wants to watch people closely and protect others from lawbreakers. There is no valid reason to be firing off a gun in the city expect the ability to walk through a public parking lot without a listening device nearby.

-Teresa
well that's a huge straw man you just created are you happy? are you happy with how many people die from gunshots in this country because of our beloved second amendment?
I'm sick and tired of people just firing off rounds in my neighborhood because they can do so with impunity. That's not a freedom I need. Being struck with a stray round is not anything I'm interested in. it happens.
how many people die from impacts from typewriters?
how about that gang typewriter violence?

(10-13-2021, 03:31 PM)Dānu Wrote: I didn't see his reply as rude.  He didn't reply according to your specifications but he did reply to you substantively.  He wasn't dismissive.  If you took it as dismissive, that's on you.  For someone who incessantly tells people how unaffected he is, you're awfully easily triggered.

So, you're full of shit.  And your attitude is rather tiresome.

Put me on ignore if you find me tiresome.
On hiatus.

(10-13-2021, 08:57 PM)skyking Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 08:16 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: Here's another real life story:

-Teresa
well that's a huge straw man you just created are you happy? are you happy with how many people die from gunshots in this country because of our beloved second amendment?
I'm sick and tired of people just firing off rounds in my neighborhood because they can do so with impunity. That's not a freedom I need. Being struck with a stray round is not anything I'm interested in. it happens.
how many people die from impacts from typewriters?
how about that gang typewriter violence?

Perhaps a link to the device under discussion is in order...

Me checking back on this thread like:

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

I don't need a link to the device, I hear 50 gunshots in my neighborhood every 4th of July every Seahawks win, and happy new year's enjoy your lead poisoning.
maybe some people don't have this in their neighborhood. Good for them I'm still in America and I shouldn't have to put up with that shit. I would welcome a device that would help curb this random shooting.
test signature
  • Fireball

(10-13-2021, 09:37 PM)skyking Wrote: I don't need a link to the device, I hear 50 gunshots in my neighborhood every 4th of July every Seahawks win, and happy new year's enjoy your lead poisoning.
maybe some people don't have this in their neighborhood. Good for them I'm still in America and I shouldn't have to put up with that shit. I would welcome a device that would help curb this random shooting.

Oh, so there isn't an actual shot detector? My neighborhood is like that, but the cops don't care. People shoot all the time, at whatever.

Yes this listening device is a horrible thing (sarcasm intended), what it does is detect the distinctive sound of gunfire it gives a direction and a time and if there's a couple of them you can triangulate a location. they are not going to put any out in the rural areas that we live in. I wish.
test signature
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-13-2021, 08:21 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 04:47 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Businesses often want my phone number and email address.  I offer to sell it to them.  None has ever offerred a dime.  I guess they don't value it if it isn't free.

That's a huge pet peeve for me. I'm buying a bottle of shampoo with cash, why do they need my phone number and email address?
My response to the retailer is always "I'll pass" and that seems to work.
Until my cell phone pings off the bluetooth beacons.   Cranky

-Teresa

Oddly, most places will accept

800-555-1212

Me Myself
My street
Anytown, (State of choice)

Emails are trickier...

Love the old cranky guy BTW, never saw that one before...