Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook et al

Facebook et al
Facebook suffered a major outage across several countries on Monday.

Users reported having issues accessing Facebook apps like Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger, and Facebook itself on the website Downdetector, which tracks outages and issues across various websites and services.

The issues began around 11:45am ET on Monday, according to user reports on Downdetector. They appeared to affect users in many countries around the world.

In a tweet addressing the outage, Facebook said, "We're aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products. We're working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience."

-------------------------------------

This on top of all the other issues facebook has these days.

-------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (AP) — A data scientist who was revealed Sunday as the Facebook whistleblower says that whenever there was a conflict between the public good and what benefited the company, the social media giant would choose its own interests.

Frances Haugen was identified in a “60 Minutes” interview Sunday as the woman who anonymously filed complaints with federal law enforcement that the company’s own research shows how it magnifies hate and misinformation.
Haugen, who worked at Google and Pinterest before joining Facebook in 2019, said she had asked to work in an area of the company that fights misinformation, since she lost a friend to online conspiracy theories.

She said Facebook prematurely turned off safeguards designed to thwart misinformation and rabble rousing after Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump last year, alleging that contributed to the deadly Jan. 6 invasion of the U.S. Capitol.

Post-election, the company dissolved a unit on civic integrity where she had been working, which Haugen said was the moment she realized “I don’t trust that they’re willing to actually invest what needs to be invested to keep Facebook from being dangerous.”
At issue are algorithms that govern what shows up on users’ news feeds, and how they favor hateful content. Haugen said a 2018 change to the content flow contributed to more divisiveness and ill will in a network ostensibly created to bring people closer together.

[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, RobbyPants, Mr Greene

Facebook et al
I closed my Facebook account a month ago. There was too much garbage.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Percie

Facebook et al
Wonder if they got hacked. They probably wouldn't say.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 05:14 PM)Dom Wrote: Facebook suffered a major outage across several countries on Monday.

Users reported having issues accessing Facebook apps like Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger, and Facebook itself on the website Downdetector, which tracks outages and issues across various websites and services.

The issues began around 11:45am ET on Monday, according to user reports on Downdetector. They appeared to affect users in many countries around the world.

In a tweet addressing the outage, Facebook said, "We're aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products. We're working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience."

-------------------------------------

This on top of all the other issues facebook has these days.

-------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (AP) — A data scientist who was revealed Sunday as the Facebook whistleblower says that whenever there was a conflict between the public good and what benefited the company, the social media giant would choose its own interests.

Frances Haugen was identified in a “60 Minutes” interview Sunday as the woman who anonymously filed complaints with federal law enforcement that the company’s own research shows how it magnifies hate and misinformation.
Haugen, who worked at Google and Pinterest before joining Facebook in 2019, said she had asked to work in an area of the company that fights misinformation, since she lost a friend to online conspiracy theories.

She said Facebook prematurely turned off safeguards designed to thwart misinformation and rabble rousing after Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump last year, alleging that contributed to the deadly Jan. 6 invasion of the U.S. Capitol.

Post-election, the company dissolved a unit on civic integrity where she had been working, which Haugen said was the moment she realized “I don’t trust that they’re willing to actually invest what needs to be invested to keep Facebook from being dangerous.”
At issue are algorithms that govern what shows up on users’ news feeds, and how they favor hateful content. Haugen said a 2018 change to the content flow contributed to more divisiveness and ill will in a network ostensibly created to bring people closer together.

Never used any of those...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Facebook et al
Hubby is on Facebook only to connect with other actors.  He's over on the chair listening to music.  It's also effecting Candy Crush.   Panic

I have an Instagram account only to follow a few ballet dancers.  I don't do anything on it other than that. As long as this forum is still going I'll be fine.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Cavebear, Dom, GenesisNemesis, Mr Greene

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 05:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Hubby is on Facebook only to connect with other actors.  He's over on the chair listening to music.  It's also effecting Candy Crush.   Panic

I have an Instagram account only to follow a few ballet dancers.  I don't do anything on it other than that. As long as this forum is still going I'll be fine.

Properly-managed, they are fine. Just that they aren't.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 05:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Hubby is on Facebook only to connect with other actors.  He's over on the chair listening to music.  It's also effecting Candy Crush.   Panic

I have an account on facebook to keep track of hubby's relatives and play a game I like. I gave no info about myself on there, don't read anything other than the above either. Other than that, I don't use social media, unless this forum falls into that category.

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 06:08 PM)Dom Wrote:

I have an account on facebook to keep track of hubby's relatives and play a game I like. I gave no info about myself on there, don't read anything other than the above either. Other than that, I don't use social media, unless this forum falls into that category.

Back in the 90s, I had a credit card from GE (I think).  I responsibly paid it off full every month.  I read a newspaper article that they considered people like me "deadbeats" because they didn't get enough money on interest fees to support their business plan.  That was educational.

I use internet sites the same way now.  They have a sucker pitch.  When they start charging, I move along.  I click on some ads to keep them hopeful, but I never buy the stuff they push.  

I agree that from their POV, I'm a deadbeat.  When any service asks too much, I just leave.  I use them as they want to use ME!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Mr Greene

Facebook et al
Just went to look at my account and it's down. So, that is still going on.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Cavebear

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 06:40 PM)Dom Wrote: Just went to look at my account and it's down. So, that is still going on.

Stocks or bonds, I assume... They go up and they go down. But generally up in the long term. So I'm in index funds and don't try to pick stocks. Pays off enough..

Facebook et al
Bad news for musicians in my area...a lot of jobs and gigs are posted on various FB groups. 

On the other hand, fuck FB. It has done a lot to spread hate and misinformation.
god, ugh
The following 5 users Like julep's post:
  • Cavebear, Dancefortwo, Inkubus, Thumpalumpacus, Mr Greene

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 08:03 PM)julep Wrote: Bad news for musicians in my area...a lot of jobs and gigs are posted on various FB groups. 

On the other hand, fuck FB. It has done a lot to spread hate and misinformation.

Let there be a new FB type site without the probs...

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 08:03 PM)julep Wrote: Bad news for musicians in my area...a lot of jobs and gigs are posted on various FB groups. 

Exactly.   Actors use Facebook to find out about auditions and acting gigs in smaller cities.  Not in New York though.  Most of the Broadway actors have agents getting them auditions.  Actors, musicians and singers will use whatever means they can to find out about a potential job.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Cavebear

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 08:16 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Exactly.   Actors use Facebook to find out about auditions and acting gigs in smaller cities.  Not in New York though.  Most of the Broadway actors have agents getting them auditions.  Actors, musicians and singers will use whatever means they can to find out about a potential job.

It is not the regular users who are at fault, it's FB itself.

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 07:21 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 06:40 PM)Dom Wrote: Just went to look at my account and it's down. So, that is still going on.

Stocks or bonds, I assume...  They go up and they go down.  But generally up in the long term.  So I'm in index funds and don't try to pick stocks.  Pays off enough..

No, this is the facebook thread. My facebook is still down.

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 08:30 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 07:21 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Stocks or bonds, I assume...  They go up and they go down.  But generally up in the long term.  So I'm in index funds and don't try to pick stocks.  Pays off enough..

No, this is the facebook thread. My facebook is still down.

Mine as well.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 08:16 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Well, there are a lot of non-Broadway, agent-less actors even in New York. 

Pretty much every musician--union and nonunion--that I know uses FB to find jobs, refer friends for jobs, find subs, etc. For all its flaws, FB is an extremely useful place for people in the arts (and many other professions).
god, ugh

Facebook et al
You still think FB is REAL! LOL!

Facebook et al
Mine's up but loading slowly.

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 09:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Mine's up but loading slowly.

Mine's still down.

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 09:41 PM)Cavebear Wrote: You still think FB is REAL!  LOL!

It's a way to connect with friends and family. Get off your fucking high horse.
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Cavebear, Teddy, Alan V, julep

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 09:58 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 09:41 PM)Cavebear Wrote: You still think FB is REAL!  LOL!

It's a way to connect with friends and family. Get off your fucking high horse.

I never did learn how to ride a horse, high OR low. No insults intended...

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 09:57 PM)Dom Wrote:

Mine's still down.

Ok, it's partially up.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Facebook et al
(10-04-2021, 10:36 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 09:57 PM)Dom Wrote:

Mine's still down.

Ok, it's partially up.

Everything working for me now. Although it doesn't show my photos on my main page anymore, but don't care so much about that.

Facebook et al
I assume Congress will now have to regulate Facebook somehow.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Fireball, Cavebear