Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
apatheism

apatheism
So, since I quit going to church or thinking about it when I was a kid, I kind of went through my entire life just ignoring religion. Once in a blue moon (two occasions come to mind) I ran into someone who was so religious that they annoyed the heck out of me. So, I removed them from my life. Gave it no second thought.

Fast forward to some 10 years ago, hubby died and in his living will he wrote that he wanted no last rites because he was an atheist. The first responders reacted badly, and that motivated me to find atheists to talk to which landed me at TTA.

That was the first time I actually identified as atheist. Before that, it wasn't even a thing in my life. 

So, what label would apply? I thought of myself mainly as a freethinker before. 

Quote:  Freethinkers hold that knowledge should be grounded in facts, scientific inquiry, and logic. The skeptical application of science implies freedom from the intellectually limiting effects of confirmation biascognitive biasconventional wisdompopular cultureurban mythprejudice, or sectarianism.

It's actually a broader concept than just atheism. Now, I still prefer that to the atheist label.

But, I don't much care for labels in the first place, no matter how you try to whittle them down, they are still too broad to capture everyone's basic attitudes.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 7 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, KevinM1, Thumpalumpacus, Antonio, Kim, Inkubus, skyking

apatheism
I never quite cared for apatheism, personally.  Tongue
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom, Aegon, KevinM1, Dancefortwo, Inkubus

apatheism
When I'm describing myself I usually go with atheist as it is fitting enough but other term is more applicable: afideist*, that is someone who rejects faith. Besides not believing in god I find the mere idea of faith to be absurd, no matter if it is faith in god or faith in some other nebulous concept.

*idea that faith is superior to reason
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on Earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 4 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Kim

apatheism
"free thinkers make no choices based on a statement of belief about god. Weather its no god or god.  Were free to use data to form a conclusion. 

I prefer to describe reality the best we can first. Then people call me names like "atheist".  I never think to myself "I am atheist so I should be careful how I talk so theist don't miss use it." That's not free thinking to me. 

I am assuming that "acted badly" meant they gave him last rights".  Lets flip that story.  I am atheist and if theist asked me to give their spouse last rights. I would.  I would have to ask them what it is tho.

IMO those two guys acted like dorks.  My guess is they would be dork atheist too.  If a theist asked them to do last rights as a favor they would be rude and ignorant.
The following 2 users Like Scoop's post:
  • Dom, Kim

apatheism
I'm not opposed to using the atheist label, but in introductions I refer to myself as religiously unaffiliated. That leaves it open to have a discussion about the details.
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, Kim

apatheism
Apatheism fits perfectly. It's sort of "atheism matured''.
Strictly speaking, I'm an igtheist. There is no coherent definition of a god. "Atheism", which also strictly speaking is true (I am without any belief concerning the gods), is long ago settled, and anything to do with definitions are not something I concern myself with, practically, ... ever, for a long time. I'm way beyond even the slightest thought concerning the actual subject. It's a settled matter. The superstitions of present day religionists do not interest me, except in their historical context.

I am however, interested in the human history of the subject, Comparative Mythology, world religions, .. in the Joseph Campbell sense.
Most religionists know next to nothing about the actual human history of religion in general, or specifically their own cults.
They think their holy books are literally true. We can prove they are not.
I fart in your general direction.  Angel
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Szuchow, KevinM1, Dom, Kim

apatheism
I used to call myself a functional atheist. 

It was an attempt to describe a position of being an agnostic who has decided, on the basis of my lived experience and the evidence of which I'm aware, to live and act as if there is no god. 

I was raised by religious nuts, who in the name of their gawd inflicted physical and psychological damage (psychological damage I'm still trying to repair0. Unfortunately I have many of them in my life still. I've been trying to get out of one family relationship for more than seven years; he won't let go and he threatens me with detectives and police "well checks" if I cut him off.  

I'd love to be able to be apatheistic, at least in a larger sociological sense, but the religious keep abusing people and trying to make laws based on their religious tenets and are currently threatening my healthcare and other rights.
god, ugh
The following 5 users Like julep's post:
  • Szuchow, Vera, Dom, Kim, skyking

apatheism
Frankly I can't imagine anyone reading this really being apatheist. How apathetic could one be on this topic if you sign up for, and regularly post on, an atheist forum?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 03:14 PM)Aegon Wrote: Frankly I can't imagine anyone reading this really being apatheist. How apathetic could one be on this topic if you sign up for, and regularly post on, an atheist forum?

This forum is not composed of only atheists.
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • SYZ

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 03:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 03:14 PM)Aegon Wrote: Frankly I can't imagine anyone reading this really being apatheist. How apathetic could one be on this topic if you sign up for, and regularly post on, an atheist forum?

Sure, regardless of what you label yourself as, none of us are apathetic towards theism or we wouldn't be here.

apatheism

Why did you sign up?

apatheism
I'm here for the tacos.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Antonio

apatheism
I wish you would fuck off with the tacos.

apatheism
I like tacos.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Antonio

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 03:26 PM)Inkubus Wrote:

Why did you sign up?

To talk about UFOs, obviously.

The following 3 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Kim, skyking

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 03:20 PM)Aegon Wrote:

Sure, regardless of what you label yourself as, none of us are apathetic towards theism or we wouldn't be here.

Oh, you are right.
I think theism has many positive elements.

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 03:20 PM)Aegon Wrote:

Many people are here and never engage in the atheist discussions. Lots of other topics.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Kim

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 03:09 PM)julep Wrote: I used to call myself a functional atheist. 

It was an attempt to describe a position of being an agnostic who has decided, on the basis of my lived experience and the evidence of which I'm aware, to live and act as if there is no god. 

I was raised by religious nuts, who in the name of their gawd inflicted physical and psychological damage (psychological damage I'm still trying to repair0. Unfortunately I have many of them in my life still. I've been trying to get out of one family relationship for more than seven years; he won't let go and he threatens me with detectives and police "well checks" if I cut him off.  

I'd love to be able to be apatheistic, at least in a larger sociological sense, but the religious keep abusing people and trying to make laws based on their religious tenets and are currently threatening my healthcare and other rights.

You can chose to separate the subjects of atheism/apatheism and what others do with their theism.
The fact that they use theism to perpetrate injustice, and force their beliefs on others has no direct impact on whether I believe in the gods.

I am apathetic towards the subject /question of the gods.
That has no bearing on whether I will stand by while others use their superstitions to drive social injustice.
The following 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Vera, KevinM1, Dom, Antonio, Kim

apatheism

I usually don't frequent the atheist parts of this forum, or, come to think of it, the ones on the late TTA. I'm here because I went with the crowd I came to know on previous forums, but have lost interest in discussing atheism for some years.

Apatheism, maybe, if there has to be a label attached. I'm simply bored by the constant to to and fro between theists and atheists.
The following 4 users Like abaris's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom, Kim, skyking

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 04:29 PM)abaris Wrote:

I usually don't frequent the atheist parts of this forum, or, come to think of it, the ones on the late TTA. I'm here because I went with the crowd I came to know on previous forums, but have lost interest in discussing atheism for some years.

Apatheism, maybe, if there has to be a label attached. I'm simply bored by the constant to to and fro between theists and atheists.

Yeah I guess you're right. Nobody was initially apathetic when they signed up for an atheist forum, but over time the discussions do get stale. Same has happened to me over the years. The last thing I want to do now, after being on atheist forums for almost a decade, is debate a Christian on the existence of God lol.

The following 5 users Like Aegon's post:
  • abaris, Dom, KevinM1, Thumpalumpacus, Kim

apatheism
I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God. Any of them. But I'm apathetic to what others believe, at least until they proselytize. Then my blood boils.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
-Carl Sagan

"The best counter to extremist speech is not censorship. The best counter is more speech." -Thumpalumpacus
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • abaris, Kim

apatheism
[Image: i-am-proud-to-be-an-atheist-9259681.png]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

apatheism
Yeah, I think multiple labels can fit.

I'm an atheist. I'm a free thinker. I'm a secular humanist. I'm an apatheist in terms of my every day life (frankly, I don't care about religion or god or whatever... until I see some religious person doing something dumb/harmful to others). I'm an igtheist because no one has ever presented a version of god that doesn't have a host of logical fallacies clinging to it.

I'm also an Aquarius, I like autumn most of all, and I'm single. Feel free to swipe right Tongue
The following 4 users Like KevinM1's post:
  • Dom, Kim, Inkubus, skyking

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 01:58 PM)Dom Wrote: But, I don't much care for labels in the first place, no matter how you try to whittle them down, they are still too broad to capture everyone's basic attitudes.

I regard myself first as a freethinker, secondly as a rationalist, and thirdly as deeply apathetic about what anyone else thinks about my views. Quoth Jimi Hendrix: "I'm the one who's got to die / when it's time for me to die / so let me live my life / the way I want to."

I happily wear apt labels (freethinker, independent, musician), and happily combat any cunt trying to broad-brush me.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Inkubus, Dom, Kim

apatheism
(09-03-2021, 01:58 PM)Dom Wrote: So, since I quit going to church or thinking about it when I was a kid, I kind of went through my entire life just ignoring religion. Once in a blue moon (two occasions come to mind) I ran into someone who was so religious that they annoyed the heck out of me. So, I removed them from my life. Gave it no second thought.

Fast forward to some 10 years ago, hubby died and in his living will he wrote that he wanted no last rites because he was an atheist. The first responders reacted badly, and that motivated me to find atheists to talk to which landed me at TTA.

That was the first time I actually identified as atheist. Before that, it wasn't even a thing in my life. 

So, what label would apply? I thought of myself mainly as a freethinker before. 

Quote:  Freethinkers hold that knowledge should be grounded in facts, scientific inquiry, and logic. The skeptical application of science implies freedom from the intellectually limiting effects of confirmation biascognitive biasconventional wisdompopular cultureurban mythprejudice, or sectarianism.

It's actually a broader concept than just atheism. Now, I still prefer that to the atheist label.

But, I don't much care for labels in the first place, no matter how you try to whittle them down, they are still too broad to capture everyone's basic attitudes.

Yes I suppose I'm a freethinker, a rational thinker and a secular humanist but I would never use any of those terms to describe myself to a casual inquirer.
I'm a freethinker: You're a what?
A label that needs an explanation is not much of a label, as it is people struggle with the simple term, atheist.
The following 4 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus, KevinM1, Kim