Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does God actually do?

(09-01-2021, 06:05 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Why should god care about person doing nothing to win and expecting divine assistance to solve all their problems? I don't see any dissonance here - christianity that I'm familiar with does not promise everything on silver platter for token effort.

The cognitive dissonance is that Christianity doesn't make sense BECAUSE God takes credit for the work I do. Read and answer my questions, please. If I study hard for a test and say a prayer to pass it, how is God helping? What role does he play? Would he make it so I fail if I don't say the prayer?

(09-01-2021, 06:40 PM)Teddy Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:05 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Why should god care about person doing nothing to win and expecting divine assistance to solve all their problems? I don't see any dissonance here - christianity that I'm familiar with does not promise everything on silver platter for token effort.

The cognitive dissonance is that Christianity doesn't make sense BECAUSE God takes credit for the work I do. Read and answer my questions, please. If I study hard for a test and say a prayer to pass it, how is God helping? What role does he play? Would he make it so I fail if I don't say the prayer?

Think at least a little before answering - if you study god still can help you memorize things, or make studying easier, or make sure that you actually study and not just look at the letters...

It took me seconds to come with some way for god to help you. Why you have problems with finding them?
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

(09-01-2021, 06:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Think at least a little before answering - if you study god still can help you memorize things, or make studying easier, or make sure that you actually study and not just look at the letters...

It took me seconds to come with some way for god to help you. Why you have problems with finding them?

How do we determine that those things are done by God and not just my ability to memorize/learn the material? That's why I brought up not studying at all. Because that would be a more direct example of God's power, if I did nothing but prayed and then I passed. The other way, those examples you listed, could be done without him. And what about prayers where it doesn't help? What if I study hard, pray for a passing grade, and fail? How do we determine what that means? Is it a failed prayer? Did I not have enough faith? Heaven forbid you tell me the reason is, I just didn't study hard enough.

(09-01-2021, 06:52 PM)Teddy Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Think at least a little before answering - if you study god still can help you memorize things, or make studying easier, or make sure that you actually study and not just look at the letters...

How do we determine that those things are done by God and not just my ability to memorize/learn the material? That's why I brought up not studying at all. Because that would be a more direct example of God's power, if I did nothing but prayed and then I passed. The other way, those examples you listed, could be done without him. And what about prayers where it doesn't help? What if I study hard, pray for a passing grade, and fail? How do we determine what that means? Is it a failed prayer? Did I not have enough faith? Heaven forbid you tell me the reason is, I just didn't study hard enough.

It's not my problem how you will determine these things. You asked how god could help you and I answered.

As for the rest - refer to my first post and maybe consider the character of biblical deity. Yahu-Wahu does not strike me as someone who would be concerned with helping passing tests. Helping to organize genocide on the other hand...

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Inkubus

(09-01-2021, 06:56 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Helping to organize genocide on the other hand...

Well, I'm sure you know that YHWH was a Canaanite tribal war god before the Hebrew peoples adopted him as their own.  So yeah, he's going to be good at the genocide thing.

There's also some archaeoloical evidence he might have been worshiped as a god of metallurgy and smelting in the copper mines in the Southern Levant area.  It's interesting stuff.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Szuchow

(09-01-2021, 07:10 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:56 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Helping to organize genocide on the other hand...

Well, I'm sure you know that YHWH was a Canaanite tribal war god before the Hebrew peoples adopted him as their own.  So yeah, he's going to be good at the genocide thing.

There's also some archaeoloical evidence he might have been worshiped as a god of metallurgy and smelting in the copper mines in the Southern Levant area.  It's interesting stuff.

I had read something on the subject but I don't care one way or another to be honest. It's not like Yahu Wahu is more non-existent if he was stolen from another pantheon.

As for other subject - I'm not adverse to reading about history of religion but I prefer other things.

Socrates.

god gives me reason to kill, and justify my narrow-minded hatred.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Vera, Antonio, Dancefortwo

no one knows

[Image: ba-dum-tss.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Antonio, Inkubus, Dānu

I'm only familiar with one god . The one that was drilled into my head as a youth and I'm pretty sure
it's a he god . And am pretty sure he's a psychopath doing what psychpaths do
 All I know is that I know nothing

(09-01-2021, 06:40 PM)Teddy Wrote:

I made this a few years ago for just such occasions.

[Image: Aq0QBod.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • KevinM1, Antonio, brunumb

The Christian belief-system is such that god gets 100% of the credit for things that go our way but WE get 100% of the blame for things that don't go our way. If it's good, its god; if it's bad, it's all your fault somehow.

Christians are notoriously unwilling to take their own god at his word. They have a long list of excuses and equivocations about god's alleged promises.

At the end of the day, all of these gods are indistinguishable from each other:

* Absent
* Indifferent
* Sufficiently capricious / flaky as to be indistinguishable from random happenstance
* Non-existent
The following 6 users Like mordant's post:
  • Minimalist, KevinM1, Teddy, Inkubus, Antonio, brunumb

He plays his favorite game.
It's called "Ineffable".
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Teddy, Inkubus, Antonio

I know one thing this god won't  do.  He won't clean toilets.  What kind of a useless god is it that won't clean toilets. 

[Image: clean-toilet-cleaning-toilet.gif]
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Minimalist, Antonio

[Image: 7d0561a36404988e8da2492b0e7a8e72.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Antonio, brunumb, Teddy, Gwaithmir

[Image: JfhOEVO.jpg]
On hiatus.
The following 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Szuchow, Minimalist, Gwaithmir, Inkubus, TheGentlemanBastard, Dancefortwo

[Image: 9-17-9i-god-at-his-computer-this-smite-h...865732.png]
The following 5 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir, SYZ, mordant, Dancefortwo

[Image: 15_71.jpg]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 7 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Minimalist, Inkubus, Dom, brunumb, TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo

(09-01-2021, 10:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: He plays his favorite game.
It's called "Ineffable".

Does "ineffable" mean you can give him an F for a grade then?

Quote:What does God actually do?

[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

I don't think god doesn't do anything at all

Has he ever answered a prayer of anyone ?

If that was the case we would all got what we were looking for at the right time , lol

But that is not the case

What does gawd do?!?

[Image: wanking.gif]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Inkubus, Thumpalumpacus

(09-04-2021, 11:50 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: What does gawd do?!?

[Image: wanking.gif]

According to Christians men are made in god's image but I always wonder why Christians think god would need a dick.  What would he do with it, besides what your emoji is doing?  Is there a Mrs. God?   I mean, he doesn't even touch little virgin Mary, he sends an angel to do the dirty work and even then poor little Mary has no say-so in the matter. The baby just sort of "poof" into her womb without even a how-do-you-do.  

(My mind is wandering here, so beware.) 

I guess god gave Adam a dick to further tempt him into bad behavior. It all makes sense now. 

God:  "I'll equipt Adam with a penis just to see how long it takes him to figure out what evil thing he can do with it.  But first I'll put a snake in the garden to temp Adam's girlfriend into eating from the tree of Knowledge and with any luck Adam will have a lightbulb moment and know exactly how  to use that penis of his on Eve, who coincidently, has the exct type of equipment that Adam needs to sin with.  Ladies and gentlemen, let's see what happens here."
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ, Inkubus

(09-04-2021, 01:40 PM)Ashwin39 Wrote: I don't think god doesn't do anything at all

Has he ever answered a prayer of anyone ?

If that was the case we would all got what we were looking for at the right time , lol

But that is not the case

Oh... God does indeed do a lot.

He allows little kids to die of cancer; he condones wars, famines, and floods; he doesn't bother
to develop new medicines; he lets hundreds of innocent people be killed in cyclones and wildfires;
he ignores drunk drivers and drug overdosing; he lets his followers ignore paying taxes and the
laws of the land; he's happy to see people drown or die in aircraft crashes; he has no problem
with a tiny virus wiping out millions of people globally; and he's perfectly OK with paedophilia
even under his own roof.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

Yeah.... it is almost as if this fucking god doesn't exist at all.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-01-2021, 04:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 12:28 PM)Cavebear Wrote: OK, but what's the point if the song makes no sense musically as spoken?  Does he do something different off stage that makes more sense?  I'm not trying to rag the guy, just don't get him...

Mate... I'm sorry, but it's more than obvious you "don't get it".  You've told us that four times LOL.

Practice makes perfect. I'm sure I say it better each time. Let's just say I don't like the musician for reasons of my own. And I did ask a question...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!