Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does God actually do?

(09-01-2021, 06:26 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:27 AM)brunumb Wrote: Whatever God may actually do, the thing he must surely excel at is hidingThumbs Up

It's so true.  It's also true that invibile garden fairies are real good at hiding.   I've never seen any magical invisible unicorns but I'm told they're hiding everywhere.   Sneaky little imps, I must say.

Yeah, wherever you look, all those magical creatures are "somewhere else".
I am tying notes to balloons and tumble-weeds and sending them out to the world. Where they are found, I do not know...

(09-05-2021, 12:33 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: God:  "I'll equipt Adam with a penis just to see how long it takes him to figure out what evil thing he can do with it.  But first I'll put a snake in the garden to temp Adam's girlfriend into eating from the tree of Knowledge and with any luck Adam will have a lightbulb moment and know exactly how  to use that penis of his on Eve, who coincidently, has the exct type of equipment that Adam needs to sin with.  Ladies and gentlemen, let's see what happens here."

God was going to make Adam without a penis, but then he realized he'd forgotten to give him a brain.
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]

Oow that's nasty.

I'm pretty sure he sits on a cloud and masturbates in ecstacy at us infidels suffering because he's a sadist.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Justaminute   The whole point of having cake is to eat it! 

(09-05-2021, 03:22 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 12:33 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: God:  "I'll equipt Adam with a penis just to see how long it takes him to figure out what evil thing he can do with it.  But first I'll put a snake in the garden to temp Adam's girlfriend into eating from the tree of Knowledge and with any luck Adam will have a lightbulb moment and know exactly how  to use that penis of his on Eve, who coincidently, has the exct type of equipment that Adam needs to sin with.  Ladies and gentlemen, let's see what happens here."

God was going to make Adam without a penis, but then he realized he'd forgotten to give him a brain.

LOL That was a low blow.  Ouch.   And I'm not even a guy.
                                                         T4618

(08-31-2021, 06:15 PM)Teddy Wrote: I thought of another cognitive dissonance in Christianity during my walk today. Have you heard that saying, "God helps those who help themselves"? I was always taught this in the manner of "if you pray to pass the test, you have to put the work in and study. You can't just sit around and expect to pass the test based on prayer alone."

Why not? If I study for it, what is God's part in it? Like, where exactly is he helping? I would expect, if I study for something and memorize/understand the material, then yeah, no duh. I'll probably pass it. Prayer or no payer. Yet if I said a prayer, fully expecting to pass the test when not doing anything for it, wouldn't that be an example of devoted faith? Like, I believe so much I'll pass the test because I asked God to help me, that I don't need to study.

I don't believe in that type of god, but I would say that if you don't know the material you wouldn't pass.  That seems logical for a god.

What doesn't seem logical is someone praying to god "I believe in you, and prayed, so I should pass.". That doesn't make any sense to me.

One thing I despise is when, after successful brain surgery on a friend, the Christians
say that the surgeon's hands "were guided by God".  The fact that their friend didn't
die on the table meant that the patient's friends had their prayers "answered".

You can't beat logic like that!    Weeping
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • brunumb, Thumpalumpacus, adey67

Jebus keeps the 3 by 5 cards.
Billions of them. One for every one of us.
You think that's easy ?
Hell no.
You think it's easy to remember to order more pens to mark up the 3 by 5 cards ?
You fail to appreciate all the hard work all this takes to save our souls.
Ungrateful heathens .. the lot of yous.
I fart in your general direction.  Angel

(09-06-2021, 02:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: ... Billions of them. One for every one of us ...

I'm sure he economizes.  For example, he only needs a single card for "Republicans".  And it's already marked with a large zero; there's no need to update it.  Tongue

(09-05-2021, 07:19 PM)adey67 Wrote: I'm pretty sure he sits on a cloud and masturbates in ecstacy at us infidels suffering because he's a sadist.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Well the Bible actually supports that:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory."
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • adey67

(09-06-2021, 01:26 AM)SYZ Wrote: One thing I despise is when, after successful brain surgery on a friend, the Christians
say that the surgeon's hands "were guided by God".  The fact that their friend didn't
die on the table meant that the patient's friends had their prayers "answered".

You can't beat logic like that!    Weeping

Yeah, never mind the eight years of university and how many long hours through internship?

Maybe this God fella taught their Pancreas 103 class. Or maybe the surgeon just paid attention. And then they'll just thank god for that.

They will thank god and not the doctor when they survive, but they'll go to a hospital and not a church for best results. Tells me all I need to know what they think of the value of prayer.
Freedom isn't free.