Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawsuits identify 230 priests as molesters

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crime...219ea.html

Quote:Child Victims Act lawsuits filed in Western New York alleged that 230 area Catholic priests molested children in nearly every parish in the Buffalo Diocese over the past 75 years, according to an analysis by The Buffalo News.

Eight of the 10 most-accused individuals identified in more than 1,300 lawsuits examined by The News are priests.

The numbers are a striking rebuke to Buffalo Diocese officials who for decades downplayed the extent of abuse in Western New York and protected molester priests from prosecution and public accountability.

“It really speaks to the culture of the diocese and the culture of the local priesthood. I have always maintained that there are good priests out there, but I tend to think almost everybody knew what was going on at some level,” said attorney Steve Boyd, who represents about 600 plaintiffs with Child Victims Act cases in the Buffalo and Rochester areas. “And to see a number that’s well over 200, as a former altar boy, that’s pretty disappointing.”

Boy Scout leaders, teachers, foster parents, relatives and youth sports coaches were among those identified as child molesters in lawsuits filed from Aug. 14, 2019, when a special window suspending the statutes of limitations in child sex abuse cases opened, until Aug. 14, when the window for filing lawsuits closed.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I'm both astounded and sickened to read this!

How in the "holy" fuck was this ever allowed to continue unabated and unpunished?
I can't even imagine the number of young adult lives ruined beyond repair by these
vile individuals—many of whom escaped retribution by dying in old age, and many
who're still being protected by the Catholic church hierarchy around the globe.

The Roman Curia should be facing charges of crimes against humanity in the International
Court of Justice, and subsequently be ordered to pay billions of dollars in restitution to
every living member of the church's sexually abused (former) congregation.

Article 7g of the Rome Statute says: A "crime against humanity" means
rape, sexual slavery, enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy, enforced
sterilisation, or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus, brunumb

(08-29-2021, 02:53 PM)SYZ Wrote: I'm both astounded and sickened to read this!

How in the "holy" fuck was this ever allowed to continue unabated and unpunished?

Maybe the Christian doctrine of forgiveness. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Just put them in general population.

Haha. It's funny when rape is used as punishment. Haha. Dodgy

Hopefully, they will "slip and fall" in the shower.

I wonder if female prisoners get raped too. Consider

Quote:How in the "holy" fuck was this ever allowed to continue unabated and unpunished?

When you think god is on your side you can get away with lots of shit.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(08-29-2021, 03:41 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:How in the "holy" fuck was this ever allowed to continue unabated and unpunished?

When you think god is on your side you can get away with lots of shit.

When other people think god is on your side you can get away with lots of shit.

Fixed that for you.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on Earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(08-29-2021, 02:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crime...219ea.html

Quote:Child Victims Act lawsuits filed in Western New York alleged that 230 area Catholic priests molested children in nearly every parish in the Buffalo Diocese over the past 75 years, according to an analysis by The Buffalo News.

Eight of the 10 most-accused individuals identified in more than 1,300 lawsuits examined by The News are priests.

The numbers are a striking rebuke to Buffalo Diocese officials who for decades downplayed the extent of abuse in Western New York and protected molester priests from prosecution and public accountability.

“It really speaks to the culture of the diocese and the culture of the local priesthood. I have always maintained that there are good priests out there, but I tend to think almost everybody knew what was going on at some level,” said attorney Steve Boyd, who represents about 600 plaintiffs with Child Victims Act cases in the Buffalo and Rochester areas. “And to see a number that’s well over 200, as a former altar boy, that’s pretty disappointing.”

Boy Scout leaders, teachers, foster parents, relatives and youth sports coaches were among those identified as child molesters in lawsuits filed from Aug. 14, 2019, when a special window suspending the statutes of limitations in child sex abuse cases opened, until Aug. 14, when the window for filing lawsuits closed.

Ya know, if circus clowns molested children the way priests do the circus would be shut down and put out of business.   But no....churches are still operating.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • adey67, Szuchow, GenesisNemesis, Fireball

(08-29-2021, 05:50 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 02:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crime...219ea.html

Ya know, if circus clowns molested children the way priests do the circus would be shut down and put out of business.   But no....churches are still operating.

Yeah well, but churches also do important things like scamming people of their money, influencing politicians so they will enact inhumane, barbaric laws dreamed up by ignorant goat fuckers millennia ago, helping to spread diseases whether by preaching against masks or condoms... Clearly church contributions to well being of mankind are immesurable.

Whistling
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on Earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 5 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Minimalist, Fireball, KevinM1, GenesisNemesis

All they could catch was 230 of them? Guess you have to start somewhere.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ