Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amusing!

Amusing!
https://www.rawstory.com/harvard-univers...-chaplain/

Quote:Harvard University elects atheist as head chaplain

Quote:America's prestigious Harvard University, founded by Puritan settlers almost 400 years ago, has a new chief chaplain -- and he doesn't believe in God.
Greg Epstein, 44, took up the role this week, becoming the first atheist elected president of Harvard's organization of chaplains.
"I'm obliged and honored," he wrote on Twitter.
Epstein has been Harvard's humanist chaplain since 2005 and is the author of the bestselling book "Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe."

Wait until the xhristards learn of this.  The whining will be piteous!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 9 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Cavebear, Gwaithmir, Thumpalumpacus, mordant, Deesse23, skyking, KevinM1, Phaedrus

Amusing!
(08-28-2021, 04:20 AM)Minimalist Wrote: https://www.rawstory.com/harvard-univers...-chaplain/

Quote:America's prestigious Harvard University, founded by Puritan settlers almost 400 years ago, has a new chief chaplain -- and he doesn't believe in God.
Greg Epstein, 44, took up the role this week, becoming the first atheist elected president of Harvard's organization of chaplains.
Epstein has been Harvard's humanist chaplain since 2005 and is the author of the bestselling book "Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe."

I think I read once that the job was a rotating function among all "religious" thoughts. So an atheist is getting a turn. Am I incorrect about that?
I am tying notes to balloons and tumble-weeds and sending them out to the world. Where they are found, I do not know...

Amusing!
Australia’s chaplaincy program actually prohibits preaching or religious practice.  
Every week, Australia’s school chaplains have an estimated 28,000 informal
conversations with students. While chaplains can have these chats, a psychologist
cannot without consent from parents. In these moments, chaplains can provide
pastoral care to encourage effective coping, friendship skills and resilience without
having to go through an official process.  

The Victorian state education department states school chaplains must not: take
advantage of their privileged position to proselytise, evangelise or advocate for a
particular religious view or belief,  conduct religious services or ceremonies or lead
students or staff in religious observances unless agreed to by the principal if working
in a government school, or deliver special religious instruction if working in a state
government school.

—It's important (at least it is here) that people disassociate religion form chaplaincy;
   its meaning has changed.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Amusing!
(08-28-2021, 05:42 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 04:20 AM)Minimalist Wrote: https://www.rawstory.com/harvard-univers...-chaplain/

I think I read once that the job was a rotating function among all "religious" thoughts.  So an atheist is getting a turn.  Am I incorrect about that?
That is more or less my understanding. It is occasionally true, at least in theory, of some other institutions, e.g, prison or military chaplains. In practice, though, even liberal Christian heads have been known to explode at outright atheism coming from someone in a clerical role. They tend to take it personally. So humanist / atheist chaplains are often somewhere between non-existent and token.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Cavebear

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 03:01 AM)mordant Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 05:42 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

I think I read once that the job was a rotating function among all "religious" thoughts.  So an atheist is getting a turn.  Am I incorrect about that?
That is more or less my understanding. It is occasionally true, at least in theory, of some other institutions, e.g, prison or military chaplains. In practice, though, even liberal Christian heads have been known to explode at outright atheism coming from someone in a clerical role. They tend to take it personally. So humanist / atheist chaplains are often somewhere between non-existent and token.

Token representation is a start. A foot in the door, so to speak. We go from there...
I am tying notes to balloons and tumble-weeds and sending them out to the world. Where they are found, I do not know...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • mordant

Amusing!
Chaplain: 1. an ecclesiastic attached to the chapel of a royal court, college, etc., or to a military unit.

Ecclesiastic: 1. a member of the clergy or other person in religious orders.

I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 01:36 PM)Percie Wrote: Chaplain: 1. an ecclesiastic attached to the chapel of a royal court, college, etc., or to a military unit.

I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.

Nope.  Atheists have no rituals, doctrines, dogma, creeds....nothing.  All atheism is is the lack of belief in a god or gods.  I'd bet dollars to donuts you dont' believe Thor is a god, only that he is a mythological character. That makes you an atheist regarding Thor.  Is non-belief in the god Thor a religion to you? Do you go to Non-Thor services and follow Non-Thor creeds and dogma?    Betcha don't.   Whistling
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Minimalist, Szuchow

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 01:36 PM)Percie Wrote: I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.
Which is the belief that makes him an atheist chaplain?
R.I.P. Hannes

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 03:27 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 01:36 PM)Percie Wrote: I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.

Go ask your chaplain!

But if you're implying that this guy isn't really a chaplain, no arguments here.

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 01:36 PM)Percie Wrote: Chaplain: 1. an ecclesiastic attached to the chapel of a royal court, college, etc., or to a military unit.

And I find it amusing whenever a theist has to resort to imprecise and outmoded
dictionary definitions in order to support his or her claims.       Chuckle

The "chapel of a royal court"?  Are you still living in the 18th century?     Fuck me.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Inkubus, brunumb

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 03:30 PM)Percie Wrote:

Go ask your chaplain!

But if you're implying that this guy isn't really a chaplain, no arguments here.

He's not a chaplain in the same sense as a religious chaplain is.  The position is more of an ethics leader or sort of a social worker.  Now if you assume atheists have no ethics then that's a different discussion and you're welcome to open another thread on the subject.
                                                         T4618

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 03:30 PM)Percie Wrote:

Go ask your chaplain!

I am not a member of Harvard, so, no he's not my chaplain.
Nope, i am asking you, but you don't seem to be willing to engage in conversation, the troll you are.

The fact that his position is called "chaplain" doesn't make atheism a religion.
The fact that the pope is called "papa" doesn't make Catholicism a family.
R.I.P. Hannes

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 03:57 PM)SYZ Wrote:

And I find it amusing whenever a theist has to resort to imprecise and outmoded
dictionary definitions in order to support his or her claims.       Chuckle

The "chapel of a royal court"?  Are you still living in the 18th century?     Fuck me.

Percie is more of a 7th century sort of guy.  What a fine muslim he'd make!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 04:06 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: The fact that his position is called "chaplain" doesn't make atheism a religion.

So you agree that this guy shouldn't be called a chaplain?

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 04:42 PM)Percie Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 04:06 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: The fact that his position is called "chaplain" doesn't make atheism a religion.

As I posted above, this position is more of a counselor who deals with the students personal ethics and social problems.  The job title is not his choosing.
                                                         T4618

Amusing!

Oh dear... just how fucking dense are you?

Atheist author Greg Epstein, who's been Harvard's humanist chaplain, since 2005,
focusses on people’s relationships with each other instead of with God.  You seem
to be overly obsessed with the meaning of the word.  And it doesn't necessarily mean
what you erroneously think it does.

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 05:48 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 04:42 PM)Percie Wrote: So you agree that this guy shouldn't be called a chaplain?

As I posted above, this position is more of a counselor who deals with the students personal ethics and social problems.  The job title is not his choosing.

Using Percie's bizarre reverse logic, I guess one could say a Rabbi who
believes in evolutionary theory is an atheist—because all atheists do?

Amusing!

Still not able to engage in honest conversation?
R.I.P. Hannes

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 06:09 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: Still not able to engage in honest conversation?

What's dishonest? I supplied definitions showing that chaplain is certainly a religious term. The only options I see for a supposed atheist chaplain are: atheism is a religion, or it's improper to call this man a chaplain. You seem to favor the second one. I don't see a problem here, except that you don't want to agree with me for some reason.

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 06:29 PM)Percie Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 06:09 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: Still not able to engage in honest conversation?

What's dishonest? I supplied definitions showing that chaplain is certainly a religious term. The only options I see for a supposed atheist chaplain are: atheism is a religion, or it's improper to call this man a chaplain. You seem to favor the second one. I don't see a problem here, except that you don't want to agree with me for some reason.

The title, in this case, doesn't matter.  The position is not religious.  There are other chaplains at Harvard who are Christian.  It's similar to being a Dean at a college which at one time was a religious position at universities in the Middle Ages.  Get over yourself.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

Amusing!

Well, no, "atheism" is not a religion.  But it is "about religion" to some degree.  My best understanding of the difference is possibly old and trite, but "atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color".  I wish I could create a better analogy, but it's hard to beat that one.

I will say that my understanding of Chaplains in the Armed Forces is they have the responsibility to to represent all views about all religious views for each member desiring their services.  And that requires them to administer to non-religious members as well.  So they can't very well do their job and ignore atheists, can they?  

I expect that anyone serving as an Armed Services Chaplain has some particular religion they most agree with, but are able to deal with all respectfully and even none at all.  Do you disrespect THEM?

Amusing!
Ole @Percie has a a problem understanding that job titles don't define a person or his or her beliefs. He also seems to be ignoring the fact that words have not only denotations but connotations.

Taking the title wasn't a confession of faith, no matter how much you try to pretend otherwise. I bet you pass false deathbed-confession rumors around too.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Cavebear, Deesse23

Amusing!
(09-01-2021, 04:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Ole @Percie has a a problem understanding that job titles don't define a person or his or her beliefs. He also seems to be ignoring the fact that words have not only denotations but connotations.

Taking the title wasn't a confession of faith, no matter how much you try to pretend otherwise. I bet you pass false deathbed-confession rumors around too.

Love the last part. While I intend to be cremated (which means SOME unfortunate relative has to keep my remains for a while) I want the box inscribed "Died An Atheist".

Note to self: Add that to the Will (due to be updated soon)...

Amusing!

Firstoff, you never said "or it's improper to call this man a chaplain", you are moving the goalposts., which is dishonest

I am still waiting for an answer as to what the (religious) belief is that the atheist chaplain has, and why atheism is a religion respectively, according to your following statement:
Quote:I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.
You have ignored this until now, which is dishonest.

I am still awaiting you to acknowledge that just because a position has the title "chaplain" and the person who happens to hold that position being an atheist doesnt make atheism a religion, although it has been pointed out to you more than once. Thats dishonest too. ( and one of the more stupid non sequiturs i have read from you lately, btw.
)
Its also already well known, that a lot of pastors are atheists, either colseted ones fearing to lose their only way of being able to make a living, or con-men who are skimming the gullible. Does that make atheism a religion?

You either are a.troll or so mindboggingly uninformed that i rather hope you are a troll.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Cavebear, brunumb

Amusing!
(09-01-2021, 05:43 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:

Firstoff, you never said "or it's improper to call this man a chaplain", you are moving the goalposts., which is dishonest

I am still waiting for an answer as to what the (religious) belief is that the atheist chaplain has, and why atheism is a religion respectively, according to your following statement:
Quote:I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.
You have ignored this until now, which is dishonest.

I am still awaiting you to acknowledge that just because a position has the title "chaplain" and the person who happens to hold that position being an atheist doesnt make atheism a religion, although it has been pointed out to you more than once. Thats dishonest too. ( and one of the more stupid non sequiturs i have read from you lately, btw.
)
Its also already well known, that a lot of pastors are atheists, either colseted ones fearing to lose their only way of being able to make a living, or con-men who are skimming the gullible. Does that make atheism a religion?

You either are a.troll or so mindboggingly uninformed that i rather hope you are a troll.

Oh, he certainly is a theist.  Possibly trolling.  People like him are just astonishingly dumb. And maybe come here to upset people. But that's for the admins to decide.  You can just put him on "ignore".