Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amusing!

Amusing!
(09-01-2021, 05:43 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Firstoff, you never said "or it's improper to call this man a chaplain", you are moving the goalposts., which is dishonest

I am still waiting for an answer as to what the (religious) belief is that the atheist chaplain has, and why atheism is a religion respectively, according to your following statement:
Quote:I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.
You have ignored this until now, which is dishonest.

I haven't ignored it. You just don't understand what's going on. I agree that atheism isn't a religion. The initial argument was a reductio ad absurdum used to show that an atheist shouldn't be called a chaplain.

ETA: Or think about it this way. What if a public high school decided to call its guidance counselors chaplains? You know plenty of people here would have a fit over the title, even if the individuals were atheists.

Amusing!
(09-01-2021, 09:29 AM)Percie Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 05:43 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Firstoff, you never said "or it's improper to call this man a chaplain", you are moving the goalposts., which is dishonest

I am still waiting for an answer as to what the (religious) belief is that the atheist chaplain has, and why atheism is a religion respectively, according to your following statement:
Quote:I find it amusing that most atheists strongly object when theists say that atheism is itself a religion...and here you have an atheist chaplain, showing that the theists are right.
You have ignored this until now, which is dishonest.

I haven't ignored it. You just don't understand what's going on. I agree that atheism isn't a religion. The initial argument was a reductio ad absurdum used to show that an atheist shouldn't be called a chaplain.

ETA: Or think about it this way. What if a public high school decided to call its guidance counselors chaplains? You know plenty of people here would have a fit over the title, even if the individuals were atheists.

Are you perhaps conflating "chaplain" with "priest or minister or allamhah"? When I look up "chaplain", it seems mostly indefinite about religion.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Amusing!
(09-01-2021, 10:12 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Are you perhaps conflating "chaplain" with "priest or minister or allamhah"?  When I look up "chaplain", it seems mostly indefinite about religion.

I already gave the link to religion from dictionary.com. To repeat:

Quote:Chaplain: 1. an ecclesiastic attached to the chapel of a royal court, college, etc., or to a military unit.

Ecclesiastic: 1. a member of the clergy or other person in religious orders.

Merriam-Webster:

Chaplain: 2. a clergyman officially attached to a branch of the military, to an institution, or to a family or court

Quote:When I look up "chaplain", it seems mostly indefinite about religion.

Where did you look it up?

Amusing!
Poor Percie....catholick bishop is really pissed over this whole thing.

Of course, catholicks are just child-raping pervert, indulgence-selling, criminal scum and not even xtians, eh Percie!

https://nypost.com/2021/08/31/catholic-b...-chaplain/

Quote:Catholic bishop: Harvard jumped the shark with atheist ‘chaplain’

Quote:What does bother me is the complete and abject surrender on the part of the presumably religious leaders at Harvard who chose this man. If a professed atheist counts as a chaplain — which is to say, a leader of religious services in a chapel — then “religion” has quite obviously come to mean nothing at all.

And at the end there, he finally comes to understand.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, brunumb

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 06:29 PM)Percie Wrote: ... I supplied definitions showing that chaplain is certainly a religious term. The only options I see for a supposed atheist chaplain are: atheism is a religion, or it's improper to call this man a chaplain. You seem to favor the second one. I don't see a problem here, except that you don't want to agree with me for some reason.

Of course you "don't see a problem" here.  That's simply because of your outlook being inevitably
skewed by your religious zeal.  In simple terms, a chaplain can be a theist or an atheist, just as a
doctor can be either.  It simply doesn't make any difference to how they ultimately serve people.

Your truly absurd argument that if an atheist happened to be a chaplain then that made atheism
a religion was beyond the pale;  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at your blatant idiocy. I did
end up laughing however, assuming you were making some sort of black joke.    Hopefully.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Deesse23, Szuchow, brunumb

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 04:42 PM)Percie Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 04:06 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: The fact that his position is called "chaplain" doesn't make atheism a religion.

So you agree that this guy shouldn't be called a chaplain?

I find it amusing that you can\t see past your biases to see this is an example of an organization attempting to be inclusive. Typical of your breed to attempt to re-write it to fit your pathetic narrative, though.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Amusing!
(08-31-2021, 04:42 PM)Percie Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 04:06 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: The fact that his position is called "chaplain" doesn't make atheism a religion.

So you agree that this guy shouldn't be called a chaplain?

The title of "Dean" used to be a religious position within the university system going back to the Early Middle Ages but the usage of the word "dean" doesn't have the same religious meaning or title anymore.  I'm pretty sure the Mormon church still has Dean positions in their church. You're not all hopped up about that because you're simply used to how the word is flexibally used today. 

The atheist chaplain is an advisor to the students and helps with socal problems and difficult situations in their lives.  It's a non religious position. You do realize that one can help people without referencing a god or using religion?   Or do you not understand that?
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ, brunumb

Amusing!
Come on people, think for once. If chaplain isn't a religious term, why did OP find an atheist chaplain amusing?

Amusing!
Oh dumbass..... what was amusing was the predictable reaction of religitard assholes like you.

And...true to form.... Big Grin
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, brunumb

Amusing!
(09-01-2021, 07:56 PM)Percie Wrote: Come on people, think for once. If chaplain isn't a religious term, why did OP find an atheist chaplain amusing?

Percie, because of the very reaction you are having.  It's kinda-like funny.     Giggle
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

Amusing!
It's hysterical.

ROFL2 

They do so hate to hate to have their little holy applecart upset.

Amusing!
(09-01-2021, 07:56 PM)Percie Wrote: Come on people, think for once. If chaplain isn't a religious term, why did OP find an atheist chaplain amusing?

Oh dear... you are really thick aren't you? You've just confirmed—again—why we find
theists' butthurt responses to the notion of an atheist chaplain so amusing. Thank you
for rising to our bait.     ROFL2
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.