Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A plea against bigotry

A plea against bigotry
(08-15-2021, 07:16 PM)Critic Wrote: I think there needs to be an open discussion of ethics and bigotry within the atheist community.
I see that you haven't visited this forum since August 21, but I'm not sure that you won't see what's posted here, so I'll post this. I would be interested in a discussion about how to help stop all kinds of prejudices, including anti-religious prejudices, if you would ever want to do that.

ETA:
I'm thinking now that maybe your concerns are more about hostile attitudes and behavior, than about prejudices. I would be interested in discussions about how to help stop those, too, but I would want to broaden it to all kinds of harmful attitudes and behavior, not only openly hostile ones. We can use openly hostile attitudes and behavior against religious people as one example, but for me it would be in a context of helping to stop all kinds of cruelty, violence, injustices and oppression, against all kinds of people; and not associating any harmful behavior exclusively with one group or category of people.

A plea against bigotry
I'll post some of my ideas here, for what to do about prejudices, discrimination, animosities and hostilities across all kinds of popular dividing lines between people, including belief lines. I would like people to criticize these ideas.

One of my ideas is helping to train children to always be learning to free themselves from all of that, all their lives; and to value all people everywhere across all those lines, and all of nature, and care what happens to them.

A plea against bigotry
Be still my beating heart.
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

A plea against bigotry
(09-19-2021, 12:47 PM)Dānu Wrote: Be still my beating heart.

I'm hoping that you're planning to explain what that's about ...

ETA:
"Is it only a dream, that there'll be no more turning away?"

A plea against bigotry
(09-19-2021, 12:41 PM)jimhabegger Wrote: I'll post some of my ideas here, for what to do about prejudices, discrimination, animosities and hostilities across all kinds of popular dividing lines between people, including belief lines. I would like people to criticize these ideas.

One of my ideas is helping to train children to always be learning to free themselves from all of that, all their lives; and to value all people everywhere across all those lines, and all of nature, and care what happens to them.

Isn't that already being done?
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • jimhabegger, Inkubus, GenesisNemesis

A plea against bigotry
(09-19-2021, 12:41 PM)jimhabegger Wrote: I'll post some of my ideas here, for what to do about prejudices, discrimination, animosities and hostilities across all kinds of popular dividing lines between people, including belief lines. I would like people to criticize these ideas.

(09-19-2021, 01:00 PM)Alan V Wrote: Isn't that already being done?

Yes.

ETA:
I'm thinking that it needs to happen a lot more, before the injustices and oppression will stop getting worse, and that anyone can help who wants to. I also have some ideas that I might post, about what to do for people to want to do it more.

A plea against bigotry
Children are fine. It takes adults to inflict prejudices upon them.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • jimhabegger, Inkubus, GenesisNemesis

A plea against bigotry
(09-19-2021, 12:47 PM)Dānu Wrote: Be still my beating heart.

[Image: b6f025c963df9476b07805f55e59191e.gif]

A plea against bigotry

Sounds promising.... of course it would help if we had an educational system that did not see itself as a minor league for business interests.

Sadly, though, I think George Carlin had a better grasp of the US educational system than you do...and he died in 2008 so it has gotten much, much, worse since then.

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus, Cavebear

A plea against bigotry
(09-19-2021, 11:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Sounds promising....

Thanks.  Shy

A plea against bigotry
(09-19-2021, 11:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

Sounds promising.... of course it would help if we had an educational system that did not see itself as a minor league for business interests.

Sadly, though, I think George Carlin had a better grasp of the US educational system than you do...and he died in 2008 so it has gotten much, much, worse since then.

George Carlin was and remains, my hero. I've heard a lot of very thoughtful people discuss life. I always found something they said that I disagreed with. I never disagreed with anything Carlin ever said... He nailed it every word and sentence.

Great, now someone will find SOMETHING I have to disagree with, OK, bring it... Thumbs Up
I am tying notes to balloons and tumble-weeds and sending them out to the world. Where they are found, I do not know...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dom, adey67

A plea against bigotry
When I saw Mel Brooks' History of the World there was a scene where he goes to the unemployment office in ancient Rome and describes himself as a "stand up philosopher."

Bea Arthur, playing the clerk, says "oh, a bullshit artist."

But I thought the phrase stand up philosopher always fit Carlin well.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

A plea against bigotry
(09-20-2021, 06:04 AM)Minimalist Wrote: When I saw Mel Brooks' History of the World there was a scene where he goes to the unemployment office in ancient Rome and describes himself as a "stand up philosopher."

Bea Arthur, playing the clerk, says "oh, a bullshit artist."

But I thought the phrase stand up philosopher always fit Carlin well.

If you mean that in a positive sense, I agree.
I am tying notes to balloons and tumble-weeds and sending them out to the world. Where they are found, I do not know...

A plea against bigotry
(09-19-2021, 11:57 PM)jimhabegger Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 11:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Sounds promising....

Thanks.  Shy

Watch the Carlin tape before you thank me.

A plea against bigotry
(09-21-2021, 02:18 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Watch the Carlin tape before you thank me.

I watched it already. I agree pretty much with everything he says there, but in my personal, subjective and possibly wrong opinion, I think that videos like that, and people watching them, are part of the system that he's denouncing.

A plea against bigotry
The alternative to speaking out is to passively sit by and watch it happen. 

The situation either sucks or it doesn't. One or the other.  It can't be both at the same time.

A plea against bigotry
(09-21-2021, 04:39 AM)Minimalist Wrote: The alternative to speaking out is to passively sit by and watch it happen.

Seriously? Those are the only two ways that you can think of, of responding to what's happening?

ETA:
I think that videos like that, and people watching them, are part of what's helping to perpetuate the system that he's denouncing, helping people excuse themselves from doing anything that can actually help change it.

A plea against bigotry
(09-21-2021, 02:42 AM)jimhabegger Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 02:18 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Watch the Carlin tape before you thank me.

I watched it already. I agree pretty much with everything he says there, but in my personal, subjective and possibly wrong opinion, I think that videos like that, and people watching them, are part of the system that he's denouncing.

Bingo! Carlin constantly emphasises the the people he's attacking are the audience. That's his shtick.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • jimhabegger

A plea against bigotry
(09-21-2021, 05:51 AM)Inkubus Wrote: Bingo! Carlin constantly emphasises the the people he's attacking are the audience. That's his shtick.

Which, for me, includes his online audience. I've seen a lot of that, where people even pay money, to hear someone telling them how they are part of the system of oppression. It amazes me how people can be fooled into helping to perpetuate the injustices and oppression, by being told how they are helping to perpetuate the injustices and oppression. I think I understand how it works, just like I think I understand how airplane wings work, but it still amazes me when I think about it.

A plea against bigotry
Fascinating.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • SYZ

A plea against bigotry
Quote:Seriously? Those are the only two ways that you can think of, of responding to what's happening?

At 72, my knees won't let me march in protests and I'm too old to run for office.

I suppose I could join the bomb-throwers but it seems to me that they are all on the other side, with jesus.... and Fuckface.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • jimhabegger

A plea against bigotry
Quote:Seriously? Those are the only two ways that you can think of, of responding to what's happening?

(09-21-2021, 04:41 PM)Minimalist Wrote: At 72, my knees won't let me march in protests and I'm too old to run for office.

I suppose I could join the bomb-throwers but it seems to me that they are all on the other side, with jesus.... and Fuckface.

Okay, that clears it up for me. Thanks!