Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aussie Church Social Security Ripoff
Exclamation 
Last year, religious institutions in Australia were eligible for Jobkeeper payments
of $1,500 fortnightly per eligible employee if their actual or projected revenue fell
by more than 15% in a given period compared to the same period the previous
year.  It was intended to subsidise workers' wages during the pandemic.

But... More than $500K funding has been given to former Aussie tennis great and
well-known bigot Margaret Court’s Pentecostal church, Victory Life Centre, despite its
accounts show that over the course of the 2019-20 financial year its revenue fell by
only $19,669, or 0.72%, making it technically ineligible for any Jobkeeper payments.

Victory Life Centre was one of about 3,500 religious institutions that have received the
payments totalling $627M, according to taxation office statistics.

Margaret Court[Image: b5a2c194fbbbd32392cbb71fe19d124f]

Court founded Victory Life Centre 16 years ago. Its vision she said is "to train an army
who know who they are in Christ and who Christ is in them, to take this city and nation for
Jesus
".  She's also homophobic, opposes same-sex marriage, claims tennis is full of
lesbians, and that transgender people are the work of the devil.

These Jobkeeper payments—funded by the taxpayer—are in my opinion totally inappropriate
government expenditures handed out to the already tax-free churches.  Is this not double
dipping?  Surely the millions of dollars these churches avoid in income tax could be used to
pay their employees?  And what exactly defines a "paid" church "employee"?  The preacher,
the verger, the organist, the flower ladies?

And according to an Australian NCLS Leader Survey Study, less than 10% of "full time" church
workers actually work for 30-39 hours per week.    So... where's all that government funding
going?  Into some bottomless religious pit?

Angry

Footnote:  It's difficult to find an accredited source,
but Court's personal wealth has been estimated to
be from $5M to $10M by several sources.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Peebothuhlu, Minimalist, brunumb

She didn't age well.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, vulcanlogician

3rd magnitude "resting bitch face", and she should return all the money.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 4 users Like Fireball's post:
  • mordant, SYZ, brunumb, vulcanlogician

Ouch.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Fireball

(08-11-2021, 12:13 AM)skyking Wrote: Ouch.

Yeah, she hurts my eyes, too!  Tongue  Could be a Hapsburg descendant...she has the entitlement part down, that's for sure.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

A Christian organization leeching off the state? It's almost as if they haven't read "render unto Caesar" and all that.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ, Fireball

(08-11-2021, 01:39 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: A Christian organization leeching off the state? It's almost as if they haven't read "render unto Caesar" and all that.

I'm reminded about what Napoleon said about the clergy...  Girl_yes2
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

There must be a lot of fictional employees to reach such sums. Churches aren't known for paying anyone they don't have to and use mostly volunteers from among their faithful. I'm sorry to hear that other countries than the US have to contend with out-of-control religious folk.
The following 1 user Likes Cubeology's post:
  • SYZ
Star 
It's almost as if religion were all about funneling money into the hands of the priesthood.  Imagine that.

(08-11-2021, 06:44 AM)Cubeology Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that other countries than the US have to contend with out-of-control religious folk.

Also, every officially-Muslim country out there.  ... Also, about half of Central and South America.  .... also Myanmar, and India, and Russia, and... you know what, let's just low-ball it at 50% of the world and work our way up from there.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov