Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Founders of New Jersey gay conversion therapy practice lose appeal, must pay $3.5 mil

Founders of New Jersey gay conversion therapy practice lose appeal, must pay $3.5 mil
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2021/08/founde...llion.html

Quote:The founders of a Jersey City-based gay conversion therapy firm reneged on a 2015 settlement agreement to never again engage in the discredited practices and must pay $3.5 million, a New Jersey appellate panel ruled, affirming a prior decision.

In 2012, four former clients sued Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing (JONAH), claiming they suffered psychological abuse during treatment sessions. Among the claims made in testimony was that the treatment included clients undressing in front of other each and pummeling effigies of their mothers as part of a program that promised it could eliminate same-sex attraction.

It was the first case in the nation to put the controversial and scientifically discredited practice on trial.

The 2015 settlement called for JONAH founders Arthur Goldberg and Elaine Berk to pay $3.5 million, but they allowed to lower the payment to $400,000 in exchange for the promise that JONAH would close and Goldberg and Berk would never again engage in conversion therapy. The agreement also stiplulated that of Goldberg and Berk violated the agreement, they would have to pay the $3.5 million in attorneys’ fees.

Excellent. Fuck everyone who peddles this nonsense.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 9 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Fireball, Inkubus, julep, abaris, Vera, Thumpalumpacus, Paleophyte, brunumb, Dom

What a disgusting case!     Angry

Even the organisation's name was offensive to any rational thinker:

"Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing".

As far as I know "healing" only applies to illnesses or accidents.

In the case against the organisation in 2015, Charles LiMandri, the
president of the Freedom of Conscience Defense Fund, who represented
JONAH, said in a statement "This is a sad day, not just for my clients,
but for America: Our freedom to choose to live according to Biblical
values is being restricted by powerful forces
".
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Quote:Our freedom to choose to live according to Biblical
values is being restricted by powerful forces

No. You and your brethren are a bunch of dangerous uneducated fools and there is a powerful force keeping things that way. That force is religion.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Bucky Ball

So what are my options now if I want to convert to being gay?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(08-09-2021, 05:35 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: So what are my options now if I want to convert to being gay?

It's "turn gay".
And most anything can turn you gay. You must be very very careful.
Just watch Public TV's Tinky Winky ... you'll be gay in no time.
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Dom

(08-09-2021, 06:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Just watch Public TV's Tinky Winky ... you'll be gay in no time.

Swear to god, I literally came across Tinky Winky today as a sort of insult for a small penis (jokingly suggested for someone who complained his gf's breasts are too small. Don't even ask!)... I thought the person just made it up...

'Pparently I was wrong

[Image: teletubbies-tinky-winky.gif]

Speaking of, someone (I think it might've been Kim) posted this on fb... never having watched the tubbies I thought it was really *was* the opening theme...

They've also done this

“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Bucky Ball, GenesisNemesis, Alan V

Looks around for the intense dude in the black suit. "Zilla thought he had logged into the forum, but in reality he had logged into the twilight zone."
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(08-09-2021, 03:42 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2021/08/founde...llion.html

Quote:The founders of a Jersey City-based gay conversion therapy firm reneged on a 2015 settlement agreement to never again engage in the discredited practices and must pay $3.5 million, a New Jersey appellate panel ruled, affirming a prior decision.

In 2012, four former clients sued Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing (JONAH), claiming they suffered psychological abuse during treatment sessions. Among the claims made in testimony was that the treatment included clients undressing in front of other each and pummeling effigies of their mothers as part of a program that promised it could eliminate same-sex attraction.

It was the first case in the nation to put the controversial and scientifically discredited practice on trial.

The 2015 settlement called for JONAH founders Arthur Goldberg and Elaine Berk to pay $3.5 million, but they allowed to lower the payment to $400,000 in exchange for the promise that JONAH would close and Goldberg and Berk would never again engage in conversion therapy. The agreement also stiplulated that of Goldberg and Berk violated the agreement, they would have to pay the $3.5 million in attorneys’ fees.

Excellent. Fuck everyone who peddles this nonsense.

They should get jail time.  So-called 'conversion therapy' is nothing less than physical and psychological torture.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 5 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Gwaithmir, Dom

(08-09-2021, 05:35 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: So what are my options now if I want to convert to being gay?
Try Grindr.

That’s easy. Reality shifting.  Smile

ETA:
Actually, it’s easier than that. All you need to do is define “gay,” in some way that you think it applies to you, just like with any other sex/gender identity.