Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor grill

Outdoor grill
I have this nice outdoor grill, gas, including a burner. I loved it and cooked on it almost every day, heat or snow. When hubby died I carried on with it for a while and then stopped. It just didn't feel right anymore.

Now I miss it. It is still sitting there after not being used for 8 years, over grown with roses. I wonder if it would still work? If I have to take it all apart, that's a no. I remember putting one together vividly, I swore never to do that again. 

I was going to add a pic of the grill covered with roses, but postimage seems to have issues today. Or maybe it's my IP.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • c172, Fireball, vulcanlogician

Outdoor grill
(07-31-2021, 07:22 PM)Dom Wrote: I have this nice outdoor grill, gas, including a burner. I loved it and cooked on it almost every day, heat or snow. When hubby died I carried on with it for a while and then stopped. It just didn't feel right anymore.

Now I miss it. It is still sitting there after not being used for 8 years, over grown with roses. I wonder if it would still work? If I have to take it all apart, that's a no. I remember putting one together vividly, I swore never to do that again. 

I was going to add a pic of the grill covered with roses, but postimage seems to have issues today. Or maybe it's my IP.

Trim everything back and try it. You might have to hose out the cobwebs and such, though. We (mostly the one son, as I don't care for cooking, in general) grill quite a bit, year 'round.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Dom

Outdoor grill
(07-31-2021, 07:22 PM)Dom Wrote: I have this nice outdoor grill, gas, including a burner. I loved it and cooked on it almost every day, heat or snow. When hubby died I carried on with it for a while and then stopped. It just didn't feel right anymore.

Just don't grill the roses - roses are bitterly bitter.

Source: tried eating rose petals as a kid.  hobo

We do have rose jam at home right now and it's nice though I still feel weird about using rose water in salads and such... to me that one's for cosmetics.

I think you might have posted a picture before or have at least mentioned it but I'd love to see a picture.

Also, I've always found the fascination with barbecues funny - it's nice (and apparently to you it evokes pleasant memories!) but that's about it (and it's apparently not that healthy, something to do with the method of cooking I think). Though I've always found it really funny how, in my own personal experience, people from as different countries as Argentina and Uruguay (asado) and South Africa (braai) are really proud with "their" barbecues and even claim them as national dishes. And I'm like - there are barbecues in pretty much every country, it ain't anything special and unique (esp. when they have other, MUCH more unique and interesting meals. But that's just me. Meat is boring  Angel )

That said, a shish-kebab - really heavy on the peppers and mushrooms and onions and other vegetables is indeed good  Big Grin

[Image: The-Best-Shish-Kabob-Recipe-with-Beef-07-scaled.jpg]

[Image: __opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__conte...4eb16f.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dom, Alan V

Outdoor grill
Grill the meat. The veggies should take shelter as god intended, in a salad.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom

Outdoor grill
I used to cook everything on that grill. You can grill most veggies, or put them in foil with some water and steam them, or add butter instead of water and sautee them. But yes, salads are nicely refreshing along side grilled items. Especially during the warm season. It's just a quick and simple way of cooking.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

Outdoor grill
(07-31-2021, 08:15 PM)Vera Wrote: Also, I've always found the fascination with barbecues funny - it's nice (and apparently to you it evokes pleasant memories!) but that's about it (and it's apparently not that healthy, something to do with the method of cooking I think). Though I've always found it really funny how, in my own personal experience, people from as different countries as Argentina and Uruguay (asado) and South Africa (braai) are really proud with "their" barbecues and even claim them as national dishes. And I'm like - there are barbecues in pretty much every country, it ain't 

Not just countries.  In the U.S., there are a variety of regional and even city styles of barbecue.

https://www.tastingtable.com/dine/nation...q-barbecue
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dom, Vera

Outdoor grill

I don't cook over propane grills, so apply salt to this advice; but if it's sat for eight years, you likely have corrosion in the joints of the gas feed-lines, and they will need cleaning and lubricating first (and perhaps replacing), followed by a foodless fire to cleanse the lines.

I remember your pic, and would imagine that the grill needs a thorough once-over.

You shouldn't have to take it entirely apart, but before you fire it up you should really check every gas-line connection and ensure they can maintain proper seal. I use charcoal-fired to avoid this maintenance issue; all I have to do is dump the ashes, brush the grill surface, and protect it from rain. Plus, it tastes better, as I can choose the charcoal or wood to season the cooking better, which is really helpful when smoking.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, mordant

Outdoor grill
Yes!  I'm an outdoor girl.  Love hikes in the woods and and babbling brooks and nature and stuff.   

.......oh......I didn't read that right.  Sorry.....   Blushing
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dānu, vulcanlogician

Outdoor grill
(08-01-2021, 12:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I don't cook over propane grills, so apply salt to this advice; but if it's sat for eight years, you likely have corrosion in the joints of the gas feed-lines, and they will need cleaning and lubricating first (and perhaps replacing), followed by a foodless fire to cleanse the lines.

I remember your pic, and would imagine that the grill needs a thorough once-over.

You shouldn't have to take it entirely apart, but before you fire it up you should really check every gas-line connection and ensure they can maintain proper seal. I use charcoal-fired to avoid this maintenance issue; all I have to do is dump the ashes, brush the grill surface, and protect it from rain. Plus, it tastes better, as I can choose the charcoal or wood to season the cooking better, which is really helpful when smoking.

We all have our preferences. I find the propane so much more convenient, not much preheating, just simple.

Yes, it's the gas lines I am worried about. I'm not going to take anything apart, so if it can't just be fired up, it belongs to the roses.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Outdoor grill
(08-01-2021, 01:00 AM)Dom Wrote: Yes, it's the gas lines I am worried about. I'm not going to take anything apart, so if it can't just be fired up, it belongs to the roses.

Disconnect the gas lines and inspect the rubber O-rings inside the joints. If they show dry-rot, cracking, or crushing signs, you may be able to replace those O-rings for a few bucks and get 'er done yourself. All those O-rings should, old or new, should receive a light coat of vegetable or mineral oil.

O-ring cracks in the rubber, or powdering, indicate replacement before use. And again, once you've cleaned and lubed the joints, do a light and food-free burn.

If it goes beyond that, by all means, let the roses take it over, and post pics.
On hiatus.

Outdoor grill
After thinking about it, I'll say this- The tank(s) are probably outside their proof pressure test date (10 or 12 years, I forget which). Not a big deal, because if you take it/them in to Lowe's or the BORG, you can exchange a tank for one that is in proof date. However, the flexible hose connecting the tank to the grille is bound to also be aged out of safe use, and the metals are probably corroded at the connections. And I wouldn't trust a regulator of that vintage, either. You can buy a small assembled unit with a new tank for less than it would cost to fix up the old one. You don't need a big unit, if it's only you that you are cooking for. Plus, the newer units have electronic ignition. Turn on the gas, push the button, FIRE! How sweet is that!?  Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Outdoor grill
(08-01-2021, 02:54 AM)Fireball Wrote: After thinking about it, I'll say this- The tank(s) are probably outside their proof pressure test date (10 or 12 years, I forget which). Not a big deal, because if you take it/them in to Lowe's or the BORG, you can exchange a tank for one that is in proof date. However, the flexible hose connecting the tank to the grille is bound to also be aged out of safe use, and the metals are probably corroded at the connections. And I wouldn't trust a regulator of that vintage, either. You can buy a small assembled unit with a new tank for less than it would cost to fix up the old one. You don't need a big unit, if it's only you that you are cooking for. Plus, the newer units have electronic ignition. Turn on the gas, push the button, FIRE! How sweet is that!?  Big Grin

The old one has that too. Well, I turned a button. It was once the top of the line. It's been 7 or 8 years since I used it.

Outdoor grill
(07-31-2021, 09:45 PM)Alan V Wrote: Not just countries.  In the U.S., there are a variety of regional and even city styles of barbecue.

https://www.tastingtable.com/dine/nation...q-barbecue

Yeah, but do they claim it's their state dish? I mean, I totally get it, there are differences between the way people barbecue stuff in different places (hell, "Serbian BBQ" is a very common thing in restaurants here, so there must be a difference) but I've literally had people try to present "their" national BBQ as something which is totally different and unique and can't be had anywhere else. It's just grilled meat, my son, it ain't gonna be a gastronomic epiphany or something the likes of which I've never tasted Angel

Now, the Argentinian (and Uruguayan) empanadas, even if also not really unique, were something else, so to speak Drool

[Image: grande-beef-empanada.eps?keep=c&u=7fueml]

And so were the alfajores

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4bvfq-CPux8vR8Q6KfKa...Q&usqp=CAU]

[Image: 71bs80kRKCL._SL1412_.jpg]

They also make mashed potatoes (of sorts) in Uruguay, with pumpkin - it's awesome because the pumpkin/squash (they really are the same vegetable) is very soft and creamy and mixed together it has a lovely texture and a wonderful flavour...
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu

Outdoor grill
(08-01-2021, 12:21 PM)Vera Wrote: I've literally had people try to present "their" national BBQ as something which is totally different and unique and can't be had anywhere else.

I don't know. BBQ is very regional. There is world of difference between North Alabama smoked chicken with white sauce, North Carolina pulled pork, Kansas City ribs, and Texas brisket. Type and amount of spices, cuts of meat, Even how you cook it is different. It's true that you can get most of that in almost any big city in the US, but that's because you are eating in a restaurant that is copying another region's techniques.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 1 user Likes PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Outdoor grill
(08-01-2021, 01:30 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Disconnect the gas lines and inspect the rubber O-rings inside the joints...

Excellent advice.     Thumbs Up

I'd just add that you need to remember that brass gas fittings utilize a left-hand thread.

Rotate clockwise to undo, and anticlockwise to tighten.

[Image: gas-help-pol.jpg]

The "nicks" in the corners of the hex nuts indicate a LH thread if you're unsure.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dānu, Thumpalumpacus

Outdoor grill
Hubby is from South Carolina.  He doesn't "grill".  Pish-posh on that.    He Barbeques.    I haven't had anything grilled since we've been married.   On occation he gets out the Dutch ovens and stacks them up and cooks all sorts of stuff in them.  Recipes call for a certain number of briquets for each Dutch oven.  The ovens usually have the biggest oven on the bottom with the meat and on the top maybe a blueberry cobbler.  

One time he took 5 of the dutch ovens camping and cooked a whole turkey on the bottom and several other items on top with a cobbler in the top oven.  People in other camp sites smelled all the wonderful food and came over to watch this crazyness going on. 

[Image: df1a4bd59e7e344deba2fe5414ab3bbc.jpg]

He ended up cooking so much food we had to share it with other campers and they were happy to oblige. 

I haven't watched this video so I don't know if it's any good but if your curious about cooking with iron Dutch ovens here ya go......

T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, Dom

Outdoor grill
I don't think that would go over well in the playground across the street. Wish I could, though. I'll bet that's some fine eating.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda