Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID Vax Booster

COVID Vax Booster
So Pfizer is saying a third dose greatly increases immunities against the delta variant. At the same time the CDC is screaming you don't need a booster. Meanwhile the wifely unit who got her second shot of the Pfizer vaccine back in September as part of one of the studies just got a Moderna poke last Friday as part of another study on mixed vaccines. 

Would you take another shot after 6-months if available?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

COVID Vax Booster
If the CDC says to do it, I'd do it. Pfizer and the rest have a vested interest in more injections being administered, the CDC, not so much.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Alan V, Kim

COVID Vax Booster
If the CDC says do it, I'd do it.

If Fuckface says "don't do it, I'd do it twice."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, Kim

COVID Vax Booster
"I'd do it, and so would my wife!"
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Minimalist, Mr Greene

COVID Vax Booster
I'd want to see the data.
Then yes, I would if the data supports.
We don't really know at this point how long immunity lasts to COVID, so it is still TBD.
A lot of healthcare people got vaccinated in late December, 2020, or January of this year, and if there really is drop-off over a relatively short time,
then they'll have to deal with it, and they will need to know relatively soon.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • isbelldl

COVID Vax Booster
I am pretty sure that sooner or later we will need boosters.

Pfizer et al may as well get ready.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Fireball

COVID Vax Booster
(07-28-2021, 08:33 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: Would you take another shot after 6-months if available?

As long as the science is sound and an additional shot increases antibodies and/or reduces severity (preferably "and"), then hell yes. I spent 35 years compromising my lungs one puff at a time. That makes my a prime candidate for slow death on a ventilator, or worse, crippling lung damage.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Dom

COVID Vax Booster
(07-28-2021, 08:33 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: Would you take another shot after 6-months if available?

Yes.

Background: vaccinated with J&J at the beginning of May. Remasking for the last couple of weeks since the Delta is taking off. I've read that the vaccines are all pretty effective against Delta, but I also know that the immune system may "forget" things, or not be able to keep up.

No-brainer for me; I've got immunocompromised family members and don't have the right to expose them, even though they're vaccinated too.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Alan V, Kim, Fireball, Dom

COVID Vax Booster
What I'd like to see is a booster that specifically targets the Delta mutation and plays well with other vaccines. Regardless of what vaccines are available, if the local authorities offer boosters I'll almost certainly be an early adopter.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Dom

COVID Vax Booster
In Australia we have an annual "booster" for the seasonal flu vaccination in order
to allow for any new variants that develop.  Which is why I'd guess that eventually
we'll need to do the same with COVID mutations.  I'm happy to go along with whatever
our states' Chief Medical Officers advise.

I'm having my second AstraZeneca vaccination tomorrow;  I didn't have any side effects
with the first dose, so I'm not expecting any with the second.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, Dom

COVID Vax Booster
(07-28-2021, 08:33 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: So Pfizer is saying a third dose greatly increases immunities against the delta variant. At the same time the CDC is screaming you don't need a booster. Meanwhile the wifely unit who got her second shot of the Pfizer vaccine back in September as part of one of the studies just got a Moderna poke last Friday as part of another study on mixed vaccines. 

Yes, asked company doc and he agreed that he would deal out 3rd shots once its official (by german cdc and Biontech).
Currently its a claim of Biontech, based on a study in Israel (one of the first with mass vaccinations and new Delta Variant). The problem being making a claim about the waning effectiveness (after 6 months) of a vaccine that is hardly on the market for more than 9 is tuff, because you will have to simply wait for more data.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Mr Greene, SYZ, Fireball

COVID Vax Booster
(07-28-2021, 08:33 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: So Pfizer is saying a third dose greatly increases immunities against the delta variant. At the same time the CDC is screaming you don't need a booster. Meanwhile the wifely unit who got her second shot of the Pfizer vaccine back in September as part of one of the studies just got a Moderna poke last Friday as part of another study on mixed vaccines. 

Sure. I've survived two Pfizers, so I presume I'd make it through a third. Would need to see enough evidence that it wasn't just a money grab by Pfizer though.
The following 1 user Likes Percie's post:
  • SYZ

COVID Vax Booster
(07-29-2021, 04:21 PM)Percie Wrote:

Sure. I've survived two Pfizers, so I presume I'd make it through a third. Would need to see enough evidence that it wasn't just a money grab by Pfizer though.

I don't think that evidence will ever be available for anyone to see, if it exists.  CDC will be back and forth as the wind blows, so who knows.

COVID Vax Booster
(07-30-2021, 02:27 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I don't think that evidence will ever be available for anyone to see, if it exists.  CDC will be back and forth as the wind blows, so who knows.

I thought they already had some evidence from Israel, where the vaccine went out earlier. Haven't really looked into it yet.

COVID Vax Booster
Yep, evidence from Israel and India. My take is that it's a lot worse than they let on, hence they are doing things they know will not go down well with the mask requirements and vaccination requirements. They don't want to panic people. Delta is many times over as contagious as the previous version. I hope I am wrong here.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

COVID Vax Booster
I'd be inclined to even without CDC "guidance" and despite that Pfizer has reasons to push the notion.

There is some evidence coming out now that the protection of the mRNA vaccines are fading at a rate of about 6% every 2 months. Although this is the rate of protection from catching Covid at all, and the rate of protection from severe or fatal infection seems to be holding up better, I am pretty sure that the long term effects of even asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic infections are likely to be eventually found to be far worse than previously thought.

You don't have to monitor the "long Covid" situation very long to see studies pointing to multi organ system damage and multiple avenues of assault on the brain that are being uncovered upon closer scrutiny and with the availability of more time to assess the data.

I have too much respect for the severity of Covid, both obvious and subtle, to want to take any chances.

My family and I are in agreement on this and we've stopped the limited amount of easing we had done, of our self-isolation and masking and such.

Also factoring into my personal decision is age (64) and diabetes.

On the other side of the equation is the increasing number of "breakthrough" infections. There's a (hopefully one-off) cluster outbreak my wife read about today where 75% of the infected were vaccinated. Either NJ or DE reported 49 deaths among fully vaccinated in the state as of last week. I will be looking at the actual, un-spun vaccine efficacy data as input to my final decision on a booster. But in all probability even imperfect protection of a vaccine and booster is far better than none.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dom, SYZ

COVID Vax Booster
At least 125,000 fully vaccinated Americans have tested positive for Covid and 1,400 of those
have died.  The 125,682 "breakthrough" cases in 38 states represent less than .08% of the
164.2 million people who've been fully vaccinated since January, or about one in every 1,300.
The number of cases and deaths among the vaccinated is very small compared to the number
among the unvaccinated. A former Biden adviser on Covid estimated that 98% to 99% of deaths
are among the unvaccinated.

Some state officials said that they could not be sure the vaccinated individuals had died from
Covid or from other causes. But other states directly attribute the cause to Covid: 32 deaths
in Louisiana, 52 in Washington state, 24 in Georgia, 49 in New Jersey, 169 in Illinois [see below]

Excerpted from NBC News, 31 July 2021.

The Australian TGA has received and reviewed 399 reports of deaths in people who have recently
been vaccinated for Covid, and found only six that were confirmed to be linked to the immunisation,
from a base of more than 10,125,500 doses administered.

This mortality rate seems way out of step with Illinois which has administered 13,211,304 doses,
but with a much higher mortality rate of 169.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

COVID Vax Booster
(07-31-2021, 07:04 PM)mordant Wrote: I'd be inclined to even without CDC "guidance" and despite that Pfizer has reasons to push the notion.

This is me. Give me the opportunity, and I'll get a third shot.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 1 user Likes PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Fireball