Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divine Command Theory Balcony Seating

(07-30-2021, 09:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Theists like to toss around big words. It's not a tautology.

I've got it! Our very well-educated and naturally bright friend here seems to think tautology and circular reasoning are the same. Good job, American school system (though really, I don't think it's the system's fault in this case. He's only working with god gave him. And seeing as there is no god, apparently he's ended with squat in the brains department).

His ludicrous "example" isn't really circular reasoning either because trans people are not trans *because* they want gender reassignment but I think such subtleties of thought are way, WAY above the paygrade of our village idiot.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(07-30-2021, 11:29 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I don't get why anyone would debate someone so intellectually dishonest as to simply eliminate the vast majority of dissenting voices with the ignore feature. He's not here for debate, but for an audience.

Exactly. And the corollary is that ideas which can't withstand scrutiny are probably not worth holding.

But he doesn't want to face that. So ignore it is, in his mind.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(07-30-2021, 07:59 PM)airportkid Wrote: There's being an idiot, and there's being a colossal idiot, and there's being ALL idiot, and there's being ALL colossal idiot.  Which of these correspondent Percie is, well, he makes that pointedly clear.  Let's make an inconsequential adjustment to his "dialogue":

Q: Why aren't you getting gender affirming surgery?
Percie: Because I'm not trans.
Q: Well yeah, but that's a tautology. What are the reasons you're not trans?
Percie: There aren't really reasons, it's just who I am.
Q: Oh, so it's an arbitrary choice, since it's not based on reason.

Percie is arbitrarily declining gender transitional surgery because [he/she/it] hasn't got any reason to decide one way or the other.  Facepalm

Er, yes, I considered noting that it works on cis as well, also on both gays and straights, but I didn't because I knew vulcan would understand that I was illustrating an application of HIS point. How did you not realize that?

Learn how to read in context of the conversation dude. 

Also, thanks for supporting my point!
The following 1 user Likes Percie's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

(07-30-2021, 11:29 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I don't get why anyone would debate someone so intellectually dishonest as to simply eliminate the vast majority of dissenting voices with the ignore feature. He's not here for debate, but for an audience.

He's here with the hopes of converting someone.   If he can convert an atheist on an internet atheist forum just think of the big huge feather his god will stick in his cap.  He will secure a prime spot in heaven for converting one of us horrible heathens.   So far he's batting zero.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(07-31-2021, 01:16 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [...] just think of the big huge feather his god will stick in his cap. 

I'm having a hard time not reading this metaphorically.
Freedom isn't free.

Percie says gender reassignment is "an arbitrary choice, since it's not based on reason".

This has to be one of his most nonsensical arguments yet!  To say that such a major
life-changing decision by an individual involved no reasoning indicates that Percie has
not the faintest notion of human biology, sexuality, science, or psychology.  Or anything
much else LOL.

At any rate, to propose this absurd debate with a transgender individual would by a
major incursion on their right to enjoy whatever their sexuality/lifestyle may be.  If
I were that transgender person, I would've immediately asked Percie why he chose to
be a heterosexual male, considering his choice wasn't based on reason.  It was purely
arbitrary.

Oh... and he introduced this transgender thing as an ultimately risible
strawman, which deserves to be ignored anyway.  Sexuality per se has
no pertinency to the  divine command 'theory' [sic ].
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(07-31-2021, 01:16 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

He's here with the hopes of converting someone.   If he can convert an atheist on an internet atheist forum just think of the big huge feather his god will stick in his cap.  He will secure a prime spot in heaven for converting one of us horrible heathens.   So far he's batting zero.

You're not a mind reader, none of us are.  Maybe he simply seeks the stimulation of having a viewpoint and having it challenged.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Percie

(08-01-2021, 03:44 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: You're not a mind reader, none of us are.  Maybe he simply seeks the stimulation of having a viewpoint and having it challenged.

Yep. Better than crossword puzzles.

(08-01-2021, 11:49 AM)Percie Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 03:44 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: You're not a mind reader, none of us are.  Maybe he simply seeks the stimulation of having a viewpoint and having it challenged.

How many people do you have on ignore? So much for you wanting to "challenge" your viewpoint.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Bucky Ball

(08-01-2021, 12:15 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

How many people do you have on ignore? So much for you wanting to "challenge" your viewpoint.

^^This!^^

When you systematically remove dissenting voices, you're not looking for your ideas to be challenged.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bucky Ball, SYZ

No. Don't fall for that crap.
Sorry, but his past posts put the lie to that,
as does his practice of putting just about everyone who disagrees with him on ignore.

It's also quite bizarre that one of the debaters is posting in the commentary thread for his own debate.
It's admitting he is doing a very poor job of explaining himself, and making his points clear.
I fart in your general direction.  Angel

It's more than obvious by now that Percie is NOT here in order to debate us meaningfully,
propose any logical arguments, or address any of the perfectly reasonable questions that
have been asked of him.  He's also refused to debate at any depth the core principles of
the divine command theory, and simply glosses over the fact that he hasn't addressed the
import of the word "divine" (of, relating to, or proceeding directly from God).

Without defining his understanding of divine, his defence of the 'theory' [sic ] becomes
pretty meaningless.  It's of course not even a theory as such; it's really only a hypothesis.
A theory is a set of principles used to explain phenomena already supported by data.
Theories are also a result of scientifically rigorous research, and therefore far more likely to
be true, whereas  hypotheses are, in effect, simply educated guesses.

There are no data even suggesting that a/any divine
command "theory" could exist in the real world.

Atheists = 1,    Percie = 0.

(08-01-2021, 12:23 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: ...When you systematically remove dissenting voices, you're not looking for your ideas to be challenged.

I really think it's time for Percie to do the right thing by this debate, and confirm
which of us he has on IGNORE.  It's kinda a waste of time responding to him if
he's not even reading those responses.  And I'm guessing he has me on ignore
as well as several others.

He's been backed into a corner, is lacking the intellect necessary to form meaningful
responses, and in effect is simply running away from any confrontation with atheists
who might destroy his absurd claims.  Quite pathetic really, but typical of the many
hypocritical theists who need to resort to this.  

So Percie... who amongst are on you ignore list?