Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Unchanging Word of God," My Ass.

https://www.rawstory.com/bible-verses-about-slavery/

Quote:An edition of the Bible aimed at right-wing evangelicals has quietly scrubbed references to slavery and 'the Jews'

Fucking jesus should fire his editors!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 7 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dānu, GenesisNemesis, julep, SYZ, Phaedrus, brunumb, RobbyPants

That's intriguing as the ESV is often regarded as a very literal and accurate translation. So much for self-examination.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Minimalist, RobbyPants

Obviously just a marketing ploy, Danu.

I heard they came out with a bible edition for militant right wingers that doesn't include that pacifist pansy Jesus.

(It's called the OT)
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Didn't Conservapedia get massive blowback for suggesting editing the bible to suit a conservative narrative? Apparently now the wingnuts are ready for clerical blasphemy on top of civil blasphemy...
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

When there's more than one way to interpret something, its meaning is clearly not fixed.

(07-13-2021, 02:04 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: When there's more than one way to interpret something, its meaning is clearly not fixed.

Yeah but you want to be working from an accurate translation.

Accurate translations are exceedingly difficult when the sources are unreliable.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

Reminds me of my time in Catholic grammar school when I had to read a bowdlerized edition of The St. Jerome's Bible.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(07-13-2021, 01:53 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I heard they came out with a bible edition for militant right wingers that doesn't include that pacifist pansy Jesus.  

(It's called the OT)

He's called "Hippy Jesus", and I kid you not, we used to have a poster here who used that phrase.
He got bann-ed. Tongue
Test

Right.

[Image: 87b3df44d5cad5103de2c5960d9e6540.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball