Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The SCOTUS Chronicles

The SCOTUS Chronicles
A bipartisan SCOTUS?  Not any more.  On 14 November last year, Slate's Mark Joseph Stern
wrote of Justice Samuel Alito's speech to the conservative Federalist Society the day before:

"Alito abandoned any pretense of impartiality in his speech, a grievance-laden tirade against
Democrats, the progressive movement, and the United States' response to the COVID-19
pandemic. Alito's targets included COVID-related restrictions, same-sex marriage, abortion,
Plan B, the contraceptive mandate, LGBTQ non-discrimination laws, and five sitting Democratic
senators... Flouting his ethical obligations, Alito waded into fierce political debates over public
health during a pandemic, reproductive rights, LGBTQ equality, and other issues that routinely
come before his court."

The justice's speech did not go unnoticed in legal circles. "This speech is like I woke up from
a vampire dream," University of Baltimore law professor and former federal prosecutor Kim Wehle
wrote. "Unscrupulously biased, political, and even angry. I can't imagine why Alito did this publicly.
Totally inappropriate and damaging to the Supreme Court."

The LA Times' Harry Litman added that this was "as politically partisan a speech as I’ve ever
seen from a justice," adding that Alito's remarks were "arrogant, tendentious, and sloppy."
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 7 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dānu, Antonio, Dom, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, Bucky Ball

The SCOTUS Chronicles
(09-10-2021, 05:18 PM)Inkubus Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 04:44 PM)Percie Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 04:31 PM)Dom Wrote: Every piece of flesh of yours has your DNA. If you cut off your finger, is it a human being?

No...but if you found a finger, you would know it came from a human being.

This worthless little prick has to be the most pathetic troll to date.

It is also "human life".
It has (we know now) stem cells which could form a human being.
It's every bit as much a potential human, as an embryo is.
I fart in your general direction.  Angel
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dom

The SCOTUS Chronicles
(09-10-2021, 04:44 PM)Percie Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 04:31 PM)Dom Wrote: Every piece of flesh of yours has your DNA. If you cut off your finger, is it a human being?

No... but if you found a finger, you would know it came from a human being...

[Image: Screenshot-2021-09-15-at-21-20-13-r-pics...e-hand.png]

So... who does this hand belong to?

[Image: bots-bush-dt-32_article_column@2x.jpg]

OR...

[Image: featured.jpg]

Huh
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

The SCOTUS Chronicles
You are talking to an idiot who does not understand that a fetal heartbeat is not a heartbeat and you expect him to understand DNA?

You'd have more luck explaining radar to a cat.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Bucky Ball, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, skyking

The SCOTUS Chronicles
Yes radar is far above a cat. they are however quite versed in PET scans and CAT scans.
test signature
The following 7 users Like skyking's post:
  • Fireball, Bucky Ball, epronovost, Dancefortwo, Antonio, Dom, Thumpalumpacus

The SCOTUS Chronicles
(09-15-2021, 04:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote: You are talking to an idiot who does not understand that a fetal heartbeat is not a heartbeat and you expect him to understand DNA?

You'd have more luck explaining radar to a cat.

From what I read from someone who is a ultrasound technician the sound doesn't have anything to do with the fetus at all.  It's a noise the machine makes when it's turned on. A little bit like static on an old radio.   I'll try to find where I read it.

ETA:  Here it is. https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-ab...ors-2021-9

Quote:  "The flickering that we're seeing on the ultrasound that early in the development of the pregnancy is actually electrical activity, and the sound that you 'hear' is actually manufactured by the ultrasound machine." Dr. Verma added.Dr. Jennifer Kerns, an OB-GYN and associate professor at the University of California, San Francisco, also told NPR that this noise is simply not a sign of a working heart or functional cardiovascular system.

Dr. Kerns also added that this is a term doctors would use to simplify complicated medical discussions with patients - similar to the term tummy ache, rather than gastroenteritis, or dizzy spell instead of vertigo - and should not be used to make laws. 

Likewise, at six weeks post-conception, the correct term is an embryo. 

But "fetus" may have an appeal that the word "embryo" does not, Kern told NPR: "The term 'fetus' certainly evokes images of a well-formed baby, so it's advantageous to use that term instead of 'embryo' — which may not be as easy for the public to feel strongly about, since embryos don't look like a baby," she explains. "So those terms are very purposefully used [in these laws] — and are also misleading."
A number of laws have been crafted to limit access to abortion based upon this false notion of a fetal heartbeat, according to the Guttmacher Institute - but the Texas law is the first to go into effect. 

T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, Dānu, Antonio, Thumpalumpacus

The SCOTUS Chronicles
Quote: But "fetus" may have an appeal that the word "embryo" does not, Kern told NPR

I prefer the term "gob of goo" which I apply uncritically to all republiKKKunts, too.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

The SCOTUS Chronicles
(09-15-2021, 04:34 PM)skyking Wrote: Yes radar is far above a cat. they are however quite versed in PET scans and CAT scans.

LOL Good one, Skyking.   

[Image: brian-baumgartner-badumtss.gif]
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, skyking