Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teal and orange, and puke, oh my!

Not sure if it is because I spent quite some time editing photographs today but now that I'm trying to watch a movie (a couple, actually, as is my wont), I seem unable to get over just how disgustingly orange-and-teal they are.  Aggravated  

Like someone on reddit said: " Every major film looks like Donald Trump burst into the post-production offices and smeared his face on film from random scenes, leaving behind a residue of spray tan and pig sweat." hobo

Finding something to watch is bloody hard for me as it is... and now all of a sudden I've developed hypersensitivity for this?!  Panic

Here's a funny article (from ten years ago!) about it. And several terrifying examples of the horrific abomination that teal and orange is  Dodgy  

Show ContentSpoiler:

[Image: mona-lisa+copy.jpg]

[Image: 08060402_blog.uncovering.org_seurat.jpg]

[Image: GrantWood-American-Gothic-1930.jpg]

[Image: in495-munch-bst-scream-1893.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dom, Aliza, Bcat, Dancefortwo

There's an new abomination in town... possibly even worse than the teal monstrosity!

For some reason (people are saying that they're using anamorphic lenses) more than one series I've watched recently (incl. a hugely popular Netflix one) have painfully visible blurry edges and when I say edges I mean literally the top and bottom thirds were often completely blurry. At one point two people were having a conversation and one of them was standing slightly behind the other and you literally couldn't see her face. No, it wasn't an artistic choice, it was just extremely shoddily shot.

It's happening in the one I'm watching now, and the blurring covers even more of the screen.

It's so bad, I'm struggling to concentrate on the plot (which is actually interesting enough) Aggravated

[Image: giphy.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Bcat, Antonio

Oversaturating pics or footage happens. It's people who have discovered the toolbox on Photoshop but have yet to learn about good taste.
On hiatus.

(01-11-2022, 07:27 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Oversaturating pics or footage happens. It's people who have discovered the toolbox on Photoshop but have yet to learn about good taste.

Nah, oversaturation I can deal with.

People looking like they've been afflicted by some weird orange jaundice and then plopped on a different, eerily coloured planet, on the other hand, gets old (and annoying!) extremely quickly Dodgy

[Image: orange-and-teal-at-play.png]

Like, the movie that prompted me to make the thread was an Aussie one (which I love, but apparently hadn't noticed it the first time... but once seen, it really can't be unseen)... and a big part of the fascination of Aussie movies for me is the nature, it's just so utterly stunning... and then someone decided to pour all that tealy-orangey vomit on it... like, are you blind or do you hate nature or what?!  Aggravated

Not related but I was watching another Aussie series, set in the 80ies and for some reason they decided to give it a really weird colour scheme... like, did people and colours look differently in the 80ies? Yes, movies might have because now we have better technology or something, but shooting a series about the 80ies and giving it some random, pulled-out-of-ass colour scheme is just... why?!

(Maybe I shouldn't have taken up photography - I'm never gonna be really good or anything but I've ruined watching movies for myself apparently  hobo )

(06-29-2021, 09:21 PM)Vera Wrote: Not sure if it is because I spent quite some time editing photographs today but now that I'm trying to watch a movie (a couple, actually, as is my wont), I seem unable to get over just how disgustingly orange-and-teal they are.  Aggravated  

Like someone on reddit said: " Every major film looks like Donald Trump burst into the post-production offices and smeared his face on film from random scenes, leaving behind a residue of spray tan and pig sweat." hobo

Finding something to watch is bloody hard for me as it is... and now all of a sudden I've developed hypersensitivity for this?!  Panic

Here's a funny article (from ten years ago!) about it. And several terrifying examples of the horrific abomination that teal and orange is  Dodgy  

[spoiler]The Cohen brothers ushered in the new era of digital color grading with their excellent 2000 film, "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou." This was the first feature film to be entirely scanned into a computer, a process known as "Digital Intermediary", or DI.  Once inside the computer, the colorist now had unheard of control over every element of the image.  Imagine tweaking an entire movie with the tools and precision that one has with their still images using Photoshop, and you get some idea of what power was unleashed.

But was that power used for good...  Nooooooooooooooo, or course it wasn't!

Some unnamed yahoo decided that the only acceptable look for a movie these days is this.

This screenshot from the excellent color theory and exploration site, kuler, shows what happens when you apply complementary color theory to flesh tones.  You see, flesh tones exist mostly in the orange range and when you look to the opposite end of the color wheel from that, where does one land?  Why looky here, we have our old friend Mr. Teal.  And anyone who has ever taken color theory 101 knows that if you take two complementary colors and put them next to each other, they will "pop", and sometimes even vibrate.  So, since people (flesh-tones) exist in almost every frame of every movie ever made, what could be better than applying complementary color theory to make people seem to "pop" from the background.  I mean, people are really important, aren't they?

Most of those movie stills in your link don't bother me all that much.  What gets me is when a black and white movie is colorized and the faces are a light brown with no undertones.  

[Image: colorizing-movies_6.jpg]

Or they look like pasty morgue makeup on dead people.    v v v     Ick

[Image: nothing-but-trouble.jpg?w=641]

And then famous black and white photographs are colorized.  Why?  

[Image: 1*jYjSpJV3R5gLzS2asdQJTw.jpeg]

[Image: d098441422a6ce8aa3bfd0d7195bce29.jpg]  

And for those who reeeeeally like colorized black and white photographs......here's some orange skin for ya.    

[Image: queen-victoria-with-king-george-and-quee...graphy.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Vera

(01-11-2022, 07:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Most of those movie stills in your link don't bother me all that much.  What gets me is when a black and white movie is colorized and the faces are a light brown with no undertones.  

[Image: colorizing-movies_6.jpg]

Or they look like pasty morgue makeup on dead people.    v v v     Ick

[Image: nothing-but-trouble.jpg?w=641]

And then famous black and white photographs are colorized.  Why?  

[Image: 1*jYjSpJV3R5gLzS2asdQJTw.jpeg]

[Image: d098441422a6ce8aa3bfd0d7195bce29.jpg]  

And for those who reeeeeally like colorized black and white photographs......here's some orange skin for ya.    

[Image: queen-victoria-with-king-george-and-quee...graphy.jpg]

Nah, mine bother me much more... because they are purposefully done like this. Today. When technology has advanced soooooo much. I mean, I don't expect a colorised movie or photo to look realistic... something shot in this century, on the other hand, looking like it's taking place on an alien planet, inhabited by mutants?

[Image: e4766c3c74c57da9060c05ed65b9b240_w200.gif]