Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pigs

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 03:59 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: If you want to get rid of mice, bury a large barrel in the ground and put a funnel-shaped opening at the top. Fill it halfway with water and add some food items.

Wrong thread.  But that's ok.  I wonder if pigs could be trained to hunt and kill mice.   Hummmm.... Consider
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Pigs
(05-23-2021, 08:28 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: Gee. Great info. So 'conclusive'.
*rolls eyes*

This is the sort of drivel that comes from folks who don't know how to say "we don't know".
Freedom isn't free.

Pigs
These sort of things, like not eating pork, or eating fish on Fridays, or eating turkey on xmas, and so on, are just rituals people enjoy. They add some sort of certainty to an uncertain life. Some continuity, something to look forward to, some sort of satisfaction comes from fulfilling these things.

The actual roots are mostly availability and sometimes experience with resulting disease or health. The root causes are largely irrelevant today, but the value of the ritual remains. A lot of both religious and secular recurrent events exist now independently from their origins.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Pigs
I know what this shit is all about.

Quote:Frank Perdue approached the Pope and made the following offer. If the Catholic Church would officially change the last line of the Lord's prayer from "give us this day our daily bread" to "give us this day our daily chicken", then Perdue Chicken would donate 10 million dollars to Catholic charities. The Pope declined.

Two weeks later, Perdue approached the Pope again. This time, he raised the offer to 50 million dollars. Again, the Pope declined.

A month later he offers 100 million, and this time, the Pope accepts.

At a meeting of the Cardinals, the Pope announces his decision in the good news/bad news format. "The good news is... that we have 100 million dollars to settle lawsuits. The bad news is that we lost the Wonder Bread account."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dom

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 06:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I know what this shit is all about.

Quote:Frank Perdue approached the Pope and made the following offer. If the Catholic Church would officially change the last line of the Lord's prayer from "give us this day our daily bread" to "give us this day our daily chicken", then Perdue Chicken would donate 10 million dollars to Catholic charities. The Pope declined.

Two weeks later, Perdue approached the Pope again. This time, he raised the offer to 50 million dollars. Again, the Pope declined.

A month later he offers 100 million, and this time, the Pope accepts.

At a meeting of the Cardinals, the Pope announces his decision in the good news/bad news format. "The good news is... that we have 100 million dollars to settle lawsuits. The bad news is that we lost the Wonder Bread account."

With a little work you could make that into a joke.
  [Image: attachment.php?aid=31] Dog  

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 04:15 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 03:40 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Here you go, dear.  The Smithsonian rides in!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n...MyNjgzMAS2

Quote:What Archaeology Tells Us About the Ancient History of Eating Kosher

A new study of fish remains deepens scholars’ understanding of how the dietary laws came to be

Quote:Now, in a study published today in the journal Tel Aviv, the pair reveals that ancient Judeans, in a period that spans throughout much of the first millennium B.C., enjoyed a diet that didn’t fully adhere to Jewish kosher laws. According to the study, archaeologists have found the remains of three non-kosher species in the two ancients Judean settlements—the Kingdom of Israel in the region’s north and the Kingdom of Judah in the south. Judah residents in particular ate a lot of catfish. These findings help scientists and historians build a more complete picture of how the ancient Judean cultures developed and adopted these rules.

According to rabbinic tradition, Moses, the most important prophet in Judaism, received the commandments that outlined how to live life as a Jew sometime around the 13th century B.C. Scholars don’t know exactly when these rules and practices were written down into the Torah, but in his upcoming book, Adler argues that evidence for its observance does not appear until the Hasmonean period that lasted from 140 B.C. to 37 B.C. And the point in history at which Judean citizens adopted the dietary rules prescribed in Torah into their lifestyles, essentially becoming kosher, is also not certain.

And of course, they have to weigh in on the pigs.

Quote:Lidar Sapir-Hen, archaeozoologist at Tel Aviv University, who also studied the history of Judeans’ dietary restrictions but was not involved in this study, found similar evidence that Judeans weren’t following the laws of kashrut around similar dates that Adler examined. She had examined pig bones found in ancient Judean settlements. Pork is another type of non-kosher food and yet some digs yielded a number of pig remains. The ancient Kingdom of Judah, located in the region’s south part had very few pig bones, but the Kingdom of Israel up north had quite a few.

“It looks like in the Kingdom of Israel, a lot of people ate pork during the 8th century B.C.,” Sapir-Hen says. “So we think that these dietary prohibitions happened later.” Thus, the new study adds to the already mounting evidence that ancient Judeans weren’t strictly kosher. “I was happy to see that Yonatan and Omri came to a very similar conclusion as we did,” Sapir-Hen says.

So as you suggest....the bible is a pile of shit but we all knew that already.

LOL.  I doubt they were using those pigs for truffle hunting.   I have several friends who are Jewish but they never follow the kosher rules in any manner and eat pork in all forms.   On the other hand my daughter hasn't eaten pork since she found out how very intelligent pigs are and we're an Irish/Scotch mix.  You know.....whatever floats your boat.  

If the Bible said don't eat pigs because they are so smart or don't eat them because you could get sick if not cooked correctly, I'd say.  "Oh, ok. That makes sense."  But that doesn't seem to be what is going on with the Biblical text.  Kosher food doesn't seem to be based on reason, it's based on power and control.   But isn't that what all religions are about.

The reason for kosher laws are simply not provided. You're guessing a reason based on what makes sense to you, which is what others do when they guess that we don't eat pork due to health reasons, or we don't eat pigs because they're smart. Your guess is as good as any, but it's no more founded in text or tradition than any other reason. It's just your guess based on your world view.

I think many people forget that Jews do not tell other people that they must keep Jewish dietary laws, Jews do not excommunicate other Jews for breaking dietary laws, and we don't think anyone is "going to hell" for not following our system. ...If you want to live a Jewish lifestyle, then you follow the book as much or as little as you like. If you don't want to live a Jewish lifestyle, then that's okay too. There are many ways to live a happy, meaningful life.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 11:11 PM)Aliza Wrote: There are many ways to live a happy, meaningful life

There are mindsets that aren't happy unless they're unhappy.  My dad was one.  But bad as that might be, the mindset that really upends the world is the mindset that isn't happy unless you're unhappy.  That seems to comprise most of the GOP now.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Minimalist

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 11:35 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:11 PM)Aliza Wrote: There are many ways to live a happy, meaningful life

There are mindsets that aren't happy unless they're unhappy.  My dad was one.  But bad as that might be, the mindset that really upends the world is the mindset that isn't happy unless you're unhappy.  That seems to comprise most of the GOP now.

There are mindsets that aren't happy unless they're griping about the GOP.  It's a thread about pigs in the Atheism forum, Airportkid, don't let them own your brain.

Pigs
We know, Jerry.  You love nazis.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 12:37 AM)Minimalist Wrote: We know, Jerry.  You love nazis.

Lol you jealous Airportkid beat you to it.

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 11:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 04:15 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 03:40 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Here you go, dear.  The Smithsonian rides in!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n...MyNjgzMAS2

And of course, they have to weigh in on the pigs.

So as you suggest....the bible is a pile of shit but we all knew that already.

LOL.  I doubt they were using those pigs for truffle hunting.   I have several friends who are Jewish but they never follow the kosher rules in any manner and eat pork in all forms.   On the other hand my daughter hasn't eaten pork since she found out how very intelligent pigs are and we're an Irish/Scotch mix.  You know.....whatever floats your boat.  

If the Bible said don't eat pigs because they are so smart or don't eat them because you could get sick if not cooked correctly, I'd say.  "Oh, ok. That makes sense."  But that doesn't seem to be what is going on with the Biblical text.  Kosher food doesn't seem to be based on reason, it's based on power and control.   But isn't that what all religions are about.

The reason for kosher laws are simply not provided. You're guessing a reason based on what makes sense to you, which is what others do when they guess that we don't eat pork due to health reasons, or we don't eat pigs because they're smart. Your guess is as good as any, but it's no more founded in text or tradition than any other reason. It's just your guess based on your world view.

I think many people forget that Jews do not tell other people that they must keep Jewish dietary laws, Jews do not excommunicate other Jews for breaking dietary laws, and we don't think anyone is "going to hell" for not following our system. ...If you want to live a Jewish lifestyle, then you follow the book as much or as little as you like. If you don't want to live a Jewish lifestyle, then that's okay too. There are many ways to live a happy, meaningful life.

Well, it's my daughter who doesn't eat pork.  I ate a club sandwich today.  It had bacon and ham, cheese, tomatos, lettus and a bunch of other stuff.  It was really good.  It did have a kosher pickle on it though.    Girl_yes2   

Heck sakes Aliza, you eat what you want but most meat if not cooked properly will make you sick. Just sayin.   I really appreciate your lack of prosyltizing and threats of hell though.  It's one of the nicer things about Judaism.   If kosher food were a Christian thing they'd be running around knocking on people's doors trying to make everyone kosher and infusing it into government policy.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 03:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 02:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I have often wondered by a book that is absolutely not kosher can tell people what IS kosher.

What is not kosher about the book?

Maybe some Old Testament books covers are made from pig skin?  I know that the Torah is a scroll and not in a bound book form though.   

Perhaps this is why there are so few Jewish American football* players?    Big Grin

* An American football is made from pigskin.
                                                         T4618

Pigs
(05-26-2021, 08:46 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: Catfish and shark have fins.
Catfish and shark have scales...

Mate... nobody here really gives a fuck about your silly, ultimately irrelevant claim.
Your own fucking bible tells us that dolphins are fish, and that the Lord prepared a
great fish (Hebrew dag gadol ) to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the
fish three days and three nights [Jonah 1:17].

And, of course, that great "fish" was a whale, and in reality a mammal—apparently God
must've forgotten designing whales to give birth to live young, and breath air?   But
then your same holy book tells us that bats are birds, and that serpents and donkeys
could speak Hebrew!

Big Grin         Big Grin         Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Pigs
(05-30-2021, 11:11 PM)Aliza Wrote: ...I think many people forget that Jews do not tell other people that they must keep Jewish dietary laws, Jews do not excommunicate other Jews for breaking dietary laws, and we don't think anyone is "going to hell" for not following our system.

I think many Jews forget that atheists, or peoples of other religions ultimately pay at the
cash register for both Kosher and Halal foodstuffs.  Here in Australia, both food products
have to be certified and labelled as "Kosher" and/or "Halal".  Additionally, in order to obtain
this certification, the food processing companies and abattoirs and butcheries need to
construct entirely separate processing facilities, either sealed off within the building, or as
an isolated, dedicated on-site building.  These food processors also need periodic inspections
and pay an annual fee in order to label their food as accredited Kosher or Halal.

Kashrut dietary laws are extensive and share a number of similarities with Halal.

This is the main certification authority here in Australia.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Inkubus

Pigs
(05-23-2021, 01:19 PM)Dom Wrote: Yeah, I think the actual cause of food rules is experience with toxicity and availability.
I have always assumed this to be a factor. Trichinosis (or whatever they called it back then) wouldn't have been hard to associate with pork meat. They would not necessarily understand how to cook it sufficiently to prevent the larvae getting into people's guts. Seemingly random taboos often have some basis in real or perceived associations between a food or practice and illness.

Some of course are probably just there to humiliate followers of the religion in to debasing themselves and being controlled (the taboo against contact with a menstruating woman for example). And, as the article points out, some of it is just to reinforce "us vs them" distinctions. Even taboos with some basis in experience evolve to meet those other needs, too.

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 02:03 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:11 PM)Aliza Wrote: ...I think many people forget that Jews do not tell other people that they must keep Jewish dietary laws, Jews do not excommunicate other Jews for breaking dietary laws, and we don't think anyone is "going to hell" for not following our system.

I think many Jews forget that atheists, or peoples of other religions ultimately pay at the
cash register for both Kosher and Halal foodstuffs.  Here in Australia, both food products
have to be certified and labelled as "Kosher" and/or "Halal".  Additionally, in order to obtain
this certification, the food processing companies and abattoirs and butcheries need to
construct entirely separate processing facilities, either sealed off within the building, or as
an isolated, dedicated on-site building.  These food processors also need periodic inspections
and pay an annual fee in order to label their food as accredited Kosher or Halal.

Kashrut dietary laws are extensive and share a number of similarities with Halal.

This is the main certification authority here in Australia.

I suppose I can't speak for Australia, but I imagine it follows the same trends as other capitalist nations with sizeable Jewish populations. The cost for kosher certification is made up for with the increased sales it generates. Jewish and non-Jewish consumers use the certification to inform them about the food, and there are many other certifications (organic, vegan, gluten free, cruelty free, etc) that have followed the same marketing model to help people make choices about what food to buy. This results in increased sales for the company.

Higher sales is the motivating factor for non-Jewish and non-Muslim companies to certify their products. In no way are they pandering to the specialty food consumers to the detriment of others. Companies have a budget for all manner of methods to increase sales. Some money may go into research and development to make ever more appealing products, money can go into expensive marketing and social media campaigns, or money can be spent in think tanks to dream up new ways of making money. ALL business expenses are passed on to the consumer, but I'd be more inclined to blame advertisements as the primary price inflator, not certifications.

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 04:34 AM)Aliza Wrote: ...Jewish and non-Jewish consumers use the certification to inform them about the food and there are many other certifications (organic, vegan, gluten free, cruelty free, etc) that have followed the same marketing model to help people make choices about what food to buy. This results in increased sales for the company.

Why don't we see this advisory on a tray of lamb chops?

Quote:The latest FSA figures, published in February 2019, show an estimate of 94 million animals were slaughtered without pre-stunning in 2018:
  • 90.8 million meat chickens (9.7 percent of total slaughtered)
  • 3 .1 million sheep (25 percent of total slaughtered)
  • 22 thousand cattle (1.1 percent of total slaughtered)
RSPCA

I wonder would it affect the sales?

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 11:56 AM)Inkubus Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 04:34 AM)Aliza Wrote: ...Jewish and non-Jewish consumers use the certification to inform them about the food and there are many other certifications (organic, vegan, gluten free, cruelty free, etc) that have followed the same marketing model to help people make choices about what food to buy. This results in increased sales for the company.

Why don't we see this advisory on a tray of lamb chops?

Quote:The latest FSA figures, published in February 2019, show an estimate of 94 million animals were slaughtered without pre-stunning in 2018:
  • 90.8 million meat chickens (9.7 percent of total slaughtered)
  • 3 .1 million sheep (25 percent of total slaughtered)
  • 22 thousand cattle (1.1 percent of total slaughtered)
RSPCA

I wonder would it affect the sales?

What advisory? You mean like an advisory to notify consumers about slaughter techniques? Meat companies can advertise their product any way they like. If you want them to start labeling their meat, call them and tell them. Maybe make a business plan and start a company that can provide these services if no such services exist.

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 03:41 AM)mordant Wrote: Some of course are probably just there to humiliate followers of the religion in to debasing themselves and being controlled (the taboo against contact with a menstruating woman for example).

I think this particular case is just one of a myriad examples of the misogyny inherent to so many religions (funny, too, as many of the older religions/mythologies have mother goddesses (the idiotic "Heavenly Mother" of Xtianity is nothing like them). Of course, it must have had a hygienic aspect to it too, among other things. menstruation is actually rather interesting from an anthropological point of view, being considered both "scared" and "unclean", which is kinda understandable; I mean, blood is something vital to life (not to mention scary ;-)) and to have half of humanity bleed once a month was bound to give rise to all sorts of explanations and rituals

I remember reading an article/account by a Muslim woman about the abuse (mostly psychological I think but I read some time ago) she'd suffer from her brothers if she happened to be menstruating during Ramadan (if you do, you're "unclean" and can't observe Ramadan). It was so nasty, she would actually hide while eating (during the day) so they wouldn't find out and abuse her. In her own home she was being abused and shamed by those closest to her simply for being a woman.

Of course, man vs woman is possibly the oldest and most inescapable opportunity for a bit of good ole us and them fun, so there's that too (I'd be willing to bet that if men menstruated it would have been considered almost universally "sacred" and not "impure".)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Inkubus

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 12:31 PM)Vera Wrote: Of course, man vs woman is possibly the oldest and most inescapable opportunity for a bit of good ole us and them fun, so there's that too (I'd be willing to bet that if men menstruated it would have been considered almost universally "sacred" and not "impure".)
Lol ... it would be consider extremely manly and rolled into the whole blood-and-guts machismo of war, I'm sure.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dom, Vera

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 12:31 PM)Vera Wrote: Of course, man vs woman is possibly the oldest and most inescapable opportunity for a bit of good ole us and them fun, so there's that too (I'd be willing to bet that if men menstruated it would have been considered almost universally "sacred" and not "impure".)

When a guy cums he's considered unclean. Maybe the ladies came up with that part of the book.

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 02:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:

When a guy cums he's considered unclean. Maybe the ladies came up with that part of the book.

"Cum"?  Is that the verb you use?  I prefer to call it "the Holy Oil of life everlasting springing forth from the sacred wonder-wand." Deadpan Coffee Drinker   Smile
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Dānu

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 02:42 PM)Aliza Wrote: When a guy cums he's considered unclean. Maybe the ladies came up with that part of the book.

Yeah but I highly doubt they would (and sincerely hope they wouldn't Blinksmiley ) be touching any "sacred" statues or going to temple/church/the mosque *while* cumming Tongue (all things, among many others, than women are forbidden when they're "unclean"). Nor will they - hopefully - be cumming for several days on end hobo
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 02:23 PM)mordant Wrote: Lol ... it would be consider extremely manly and rolled into the whole blood-and-guts machismo of war, I'm sure.

Luckily, tampons are already suitably bullet-shaped Angel2

[Image: tampon-gun.jpg?w=800]
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • mordant

Pigs
(05-31-2021, 02:53 PM)Vera Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 02:42 PM)Aliza Wrote: When a guy cums he's considered unclean. Maybe the ladies came up with that part of the book.

Yeah but I highly doubt they would (and sincerely hope they wouldn't  Blinksmiley ) be touching any "sacred" statues or going to temple/church/the mosque *while* cumming Tongue (all things, among many others, than women are forbidden when they're "unclean"). Nor will they - hopefully - be cumming for several days on end hobo

No, I believe they're forbidden from touching certain things until they're clean again. 

It's like when you go to a buffet and you sneeze in your hand. You're forbidden from touching the salad bar until you've washed your hands. It's nothing personal against you and it's not an attack on your body functions... it's just that I don't want to eat off those hands.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Dānu