Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 Contradictions in the Bible

(05-20-2021, 01:28 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 01:09 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: How is that hand-waving? I explained how the question is resolved.

No, you didn't. You tried passing off your interpretation of what your buy-bull says as fact and trying to hand wave away what it actually says.

Um...arent YOU hand-waving my rationale?

Reinterpreting the words to fit your point isn't rationale, it's desperation. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Deesse23

(05-20-2021, 01:53 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 01:41 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 12:39 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: Where's that one?
Damn. That would be a deal-breaker for me if that's what is actually claimed.
What's the proof text?

@Percie did you know about this one?
That the bible allegedly claims (quote) "flying insects have four legs" (unquote)???
I can't remember ever reading that. 

Dunno

Leviticus 11:23 

Quote:Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket, or grasshopper.  (23)  ALL other flying insects that have four legs are detestable to you.  

Bolding is mine.   

There is no flying insect that has four legs.

Here's one.

[Image: Praying-Mantis.jpg]

Quote:All adult insects have six legs; and most have wings.
Source

Sorry princess, but finding a picture of one reared up doesn't make it four legged, just as a picture of a rearing horse doesn't make it two legged. Pretty sad that you'll fly in the face of reality to protect your delusion.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:22 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: This isnt a question of allegory versus literal.

Human : I've seen the face of God. (Genesis 32:30)
God : No. You haven't. (John 1:18)
Human : ....but, but, I thought... (Deuteronomy 5:4)
God : Nope. (Exodus 33:23)

So. That takes care of that alleged contradiction.

Hand waving 101. Dodgy Surely you have something better. Then again...

How is that hand-waving? I explained how the question is resolved.

If I say I think I've seen God's face and God tells me I'm mistaken...(because my physical, terrestrial eyes cannot view an omnipresent, immaterial Being) thats not God contradicting Himself.

A contradiction would be God telling Percie that everyone/anyone on earth can see His face and live, and then telling me that its impossible for everyone/anyone to ever see His face.

It seems to open the door for any every other person speaking in the bible to be mistaken.  Isn't that a problem?  Why could any and every word of Jesus be someting like "I saw the face of God" (but turns out I kinda didn't really)

(05-20-2021, 01:57 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: The mantis doesn't fly so much as it jumps.

AHA!
A clear contradiction.
Which is it science? Jump or fly?

Sheesh! I rely on science to get these things right.

A flying fox isn't a fox. A red panda isn't a panda. A killer whale isn't a whale. The flying lemur doesn't fly - it doesn't even have wings.
OH wait! Thats not in Leviticus.

(05-20-2021, 09:42 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 01:57 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: The mantis doesn't fly so much as it jumps.

AHA!
A clear contradiction.

A flying fox isn't a fox. A red panda isn't a panda. A killer whale isn't a whale. The flying lemur doesn't fly - it doesn't even have wings.

We all know fuck-face, that if you were having chest pain, you would not just start praying.
You would call 911 and avail yourself of the very best science you could get.
You actually trust science a whole lot more than your hypocrtical post indicates.
So far you're batting ZERO here, shit-for-brains.
Test

(05-20-2021, 04:09 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:22 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Hand waving 101. Dodgy Surely you have something better. Then again...

How is that hand-waving? I explained how the question is resolved.

If I say I think I've seen God's face and God tells me I'm mistaken...(because my physical, terrestrial eyes cannot view an omnipresent, immaterial Being) thats not God contradicting Himself.

A contradiction would be God telling Percie that everyone/anyone on earth can see His face and live, and then telling me that its impossible for everyone/anyone to ever see His face.

It seems to open the door for any every other person speaking in the bible to be mistaken.  Isn't that a problem?  Why could any and every word of Jesus be someting like "I saw the face of God" (but turns out I kinda didn't really)

This really gets to the heart of the whole 'bible contradiction' trope.

The very same ambiguity which allows two scriptural verses to be interpreted as being in tension with one another, is the ambiguity skeleton key which allows them to be harmonised.

When I say the modern, and commonly used term "sunrise" is scientifically false, everyone knows I'm nit picking and that this is lame, juvenile quibbling. And when skepticsannotatedbible.com does the equivalent, thats equally lame.

(05-18-2021, 11:55 AM)Percie Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:51 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: If I encountered a contradiction in the bible, I would abandon my faith in God's Word.

I wouldn't. There have been contradictions I didn't understand at first, but then later did. If I encounter a contradiction I can't explain (and maybe I will, I didn't read the whole list) I'd take it on faith that there is an answer, but I just don't have it yet. I suspect you'd do the same.

A few Bible contradictions for your reading pleasure.

Mark:  Jesus appears to his apostles in a house in Jerusalem.  From there he ascends to heaven.

Matthew:  Jesus appears to two women.  He sends them to tell his apostles to meet him him Galilee and disappears.  They do so.  A three day walk from Jerusalem.  No ascent to heaven is mentioned.

Luke:  Jesus appears to two disciples who take him to his apostles in Jerusalem.  He leads them out to a small village, Bethany and ascends to heaven.  On the same day he left the tomb.

Acts:  Jesus meets his apostles in Jerusalem.  he tells them not to leave Jerusalem, and they do not.  He stays with them 40 days and ascends to heaven

John:  Jesus meets his apostles in Jerusalem.  He then meets them in Galilee.  No ascent to heaven is mentioned. John then claims that Jesus went on to do so many things, no book could contain them all.

5 major sets of contradictions from the Bible, supposedly inspired by God himself.  No need to thank me.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Gwaithmir, Phaedrus, Alan V, TheGentlemanBastard, brunumb

(05-20-2021, 09:59 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 04:09 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: How is that hand-waving? I explained how the question is resolved.

This really gets to the heart of the whole 'bible contradiction' trope.

The very same ambiguity which allows two scriptural verses to be interpreted as being in tension with one another, is the ambiguity skeleton key which allows them to be harmonised.

When I say the modern, and commonly used term "sunrise" is scientifically false, everyone knows I'm nit picking and that this is lame, juvenile quibbling. And when skepticsannotatedbible.com does the equivalent, thats equally lame.

You forgot, "in my opinion".
And then of course, you are not qualified, (and neither is Percival) to say anything at all about the matter.
Did anyone here raise the question of "sunrise" ? No. You are committing the "reductio ad absurdam" falacy.
Stop preaching your LAME cult. Hello lame.
If your god(s) actually existed, they could have made sure there were no contradictions.
Test

(05-20-2021, 09:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 09:42 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:

AHA!
A clear contradiction.

We all know fuck-face, that if you were having chest pain, you would not just start praying.
You actually trust science a whole lot more than your hypocrtical post indicates.

See Percie?
Here's a poster who whines about being ignored yet does everything zhe can to send signals that zhe doesn't want zir posts replied to. Whenever I reply to hir posts @me zhe accuses me of  preaching and agitates to have me banned. (So that zie can have the stage all to xemself in an echo chamber of upvotes, and in a forum with 3 registered users online.)

Bucky Balls posts are interesting and you can key off or riff the themes zhe raises, but here is a poster who doesn't seem to understand that its better to be quarrelling than lonesome.
I feel sorry for hir.

(05-20-2021, 10:02 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:55 AM)Percie Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:51 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: If I encountered a contradiction in the bible, I would abandon my faith in God's Word.

I wouldn't. There have been contradictions I didn't understand at first, but then later did. If I encounter a contradiction I can't explain (and maybe I will, I didn't read the whole list) I'd take it on faith that there is an answer, but I just don't have it yet. I suspect you'd do the same.

Mark:  Jesus appears to his apostles in a house in Jerusalem.  From there he ascends to heaven.

Matthew:  Jesus appears to two women.  He sends them to tell his apostles to meet him him Galilee and disappears.  They do so.  A three day walk from Jerusalem.  No ascent to heaven is mentioned.

Luke:  Jesus appears to two disciples who take him to his apostles in Jerusalem.  He leads them out to a small village, Bethany and ascends to heaven.  On the same day he left the tomb.

Acts:  Jesus meets his apostles in Jerusalem.  he tells them not to leave Jerusalem, and they do not.  He stays with them 40 days and ascends to heaven

John:  Jesus meets his apostles in Jerusalem.  He then meets them in Galilee.  No ascent to heaven is mentioned. John then claims that Jesus went on to do so many things, no book could contain them all.

5 major sets of contradictions from the Bible, supposedly inspired by God himself.  No need to thank me.

The Last Supper, in Mark, on the evening of the Day of Preparation for the Passover. Institutes the Eucharist.
In John, it's not the Day of Preparation. It's the day before, and Last Supper is not a Passover meal. No Eucharist, washes feet, (in no other gospel). John says specifically when Pilate pronounces the death sentence ... "It was the Day of Preparation, and it was about noon". One of these is false. Or both. They just made it all up.

Other major discrepancies : what did the voice say at Jesus' baptism ? Matthew and Mark - different.
Where was Jesus the day after his Baptism ? Synoptics are different than John.
Was Jarius' daughter already dead ? Matthew and Mark conflict, no way to reconcile. Either she was dead or not.
Was Jesus silent at his trial ? In Mark he is silent, in another gospel he gives a long speech. Which is it ?
How did Judas die ? Which of the fairy stories is really true ? They are WAY different.
Who actually went to the tomb on Easter morning and what did they see ? The stories are all different.
Matthew quotes the WRONG prophet : The business of the 30 pieces of silver is not in Jeremiah, it's in Zechariah. Woops.

Yeah Leon, it's not just nitpicking. There are substantial differences in the naratives, ... they cannot be reconciled.
The differences are so important that real scholars have written MANY books about them, attempting to explain them away.
This is why the childish nonsence that Percival thought he would get into, has totally backfired here.
There really ARE contradictions, and they are recognized by scholars as problems that need to be addressed.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(05-20-2021, 10:14 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 09:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 09:42 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: AHA!
A clear contradiction.

See Percie?
Here's a poster who whines about being ignored yet does everything zhe can to send signals that zhe doesn't want zir posts replied to. Whenever I reply to hir posts @me zhe accuses me of  preaching and agitates to have me banned. (So that zie can have the stage all to xemself in an echo chamber of upvotes, and in a forum with 3 registered users online.)

Bucky Balls posts are interesting and you can key off or riff the themes zhe raises, but here is a poster who doesn't seem to understand that its better to be quarrelling than lonesome.
I feel sorry for hir.

Too bad fuck-face, but I did not whine about anything. I told Percival that if I were him, I would ignore me also. I encouraged him.
Just like you, he is incapable of adding anything to a conversation here. You are preaching, and you are a liar.
Test

LOL

(05-20-2021, 10:42 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: LOL

Just so you can't change your great reply.
You boys got nuthin'.
Test

Of course, it’s easy for us with our 21st Century, materialistic minds to dismiss the Bible as a load of rubbish. But in the actual analysis, that is exactly what the Bible turns out to be---a load of rubbish! It is a book of nonsensical, fantastic stories about talking animals, talking bushes, mythical creatures, people rising from the dead, magic and pseudo-history. It is the creation of ignorant, fallible men, reflecting the prejudices, superstitions, bad theology and fears of the times in which it was written. It promotes slavery, ethnic cleansing, race prejudice, wars of conquest, the subjugation of women, child abuse and genital mutilation. It promotes the worship and celebration of a god who is little more than an egotistical, homicidal, fear-mongering tyrant. It is a book which any reasonable, intellectually honest, and intelligent person should heartily dismiss as bad fiction.  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, TheGentlemanBastard, brunumb

(05-20-2021, 12:39 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 03:12 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The bible claims that flying insects have 4 legs, not six....

Where's that one?
Damn. That would be a deal-breaker for me if that's what is actually claimed.
What's the proof text?

@Percie did you know about this one?
That the bible allegedly claims (quote) "flying insects have four legs" (unquote)???
I can't remember ever reading that. 

Dunno

Sure, I'm aware of it.

What I can't imagine is being so dense as to think that an ancient foreign word best translated into modern English as "insect" must necessarily have intended the exact same meaning as today's word. Same for "leg" etc. It's just such a ridiculous argument that I don't get into it.
The following 1 user Likes Percie's post:
  • Lion IRC

Insects did not evolve legs over the ages. They've always had six. That the bible makes the mistake of claiming they are four legged is yet another example of how the book cannot be trusted in relation to knowledge.

(05-20-2021, 02:23 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Google, "how many legs does a phasmatodea have?"   

Do a search for the word "phasmatodea" in the bible.
And you won't find any contradictions with science.
The following 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post:
  • Percie

(05-20-2021, 11:35 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Insects did not evolve legs over the ages. They've always had six. That the bible makes the mistake of claiming they are four legged is yet another example of how the book cannot be trusted in relation to knowledge.

Exactly. It's ridiculous to think that an educated person (not a high rate of literacy back then) in a rural society didn't know such very common knowledge. Going about on all fours was probably an idiom, or perhaps they classified the appendages differently.

(05-20-2021, 02:16 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Almost forgot this one.  

Quote: Deuteronomy 20:17[edit]

But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee

The bible is wrong, wrong, wrong.  DNA has proven that there are many descendants of the Canaanites today.  

Quote: New genetic research from the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute has found that far from being destroyed, the Canaanites morphed into the inhabitants of modern Lebanon.

Scientists in the United Kingdom-based genetic research center sequenced the genomes of five 4,000-year-old Canaanite individuals and compared them to other ancient and present-day populations, including a sample of 99 modern Lebanese

The results, published July 27 in the American Journal of Human Genetics, show that 93 percent of the ancestry of modern Lebanese ancestry comes from the Canaanites.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-canaan...o-lebanon/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_su...ite_cities

Quote:The list of destroyed and surviving Canaanite cities at Judges 1:17-36 is an account of the failures and successes of the military campaigns of the Israelites in their attempt to conquer Canaan. While the Book of Joshua portrays complete victory, Judges presents the tribes which were to become the western half of the Kingdom of Israel as having several failures. In each of these cases, the book of Judges says that the tribes later subjugated the Canaanites into forced labour.

Then of course there's the enormous colossal insurmountable problem inherent in calling a bible "god's word" and the "inspired word of god" where the "god" is declared incapable of imperfection.  The KJV is just shy of a million words, and, as words are intended to be used, puts across concepts in those less than million words on the assumption that said concepts aren't already understood by the recipient and so need to be said.  Language is plastic and slippery so any given concept can be expressed with infinite variety that ranges from incoherent to perfect clarity.  A perfect "god" would naturally use those less than million words perfectly, putting across the concepts in the best possible way.

Now along comes imperfect humanity and encounters those flawless less than a million words and - fails to understand them?  The ideas are expressed in such a perfect way it is impossible to express them differently and have a better chance of understanding than from the original.  Yet, where the bible is less than a million words, trillions (or more) words have been set forth that purport to explain what the bible says.  How does that work?  Every single author attempting to express some biblical concept in words other than the bible's words is essentially declaring his literary excursions are superior to what the god produced, that what the god produced is imperfect.

You can't call your god the apex of perfection and then paraphrase what the god said without making yourself and your god look like idiots.

(05-20-2021, 11:55 AM)Percie Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 11:35 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Insects did not evolve legs over the ages. They've always had six. That the bible makes the mistake of claiming they are four legged is yet another example of how the book cannot be trusted in relation to knowledge.

Exactly. It's ridiculous to think that an educated person (not a high rate of literacy back then) in a rural society didn't know such very common knowledge. Going about on all fours was probably an idiom, or perhaps they classified the appendages differently.

LOL
Thanks for making his point for him. "Maybe it's an idiom", LMFAO.
Your problem is, that your ilk, (incluiding the bs you posted about inerrancy) claim it's the "word of God".
AND that the origins of you holy horseshit are divine. Your speculation about literacy, "and perhaps" are dismissed.
Support your bullshit with references, or STFU.
Test
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(05-20-2021, 10:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 10:02 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:55 AM)Percie Wrote: I wouldn't. There have been contradictions I didn't understand at first, but then later did. If I encounter a contradiction I can't explain (and maybe I will, I didn't read the whole list) I'd take it on faith that there is an answer, but I just don't have it yet. I suspect you'd do the same.

The Last Supper, in Mark, on the evening of the Day of Preparation for the Passover. Institutes the Eucharist.
In John, it's not the Day of Preparation. It's the day before, and Last Supper is not a Passover meal. No Eucharist, washes feet, (in no other gospel). John says specifically when Pilate pronounces the death sentence ... "It was the Day of Preparation, and it was about noon". One of these is false. Or both. They just made it all up.

Other major discrepancies : what did the voice say at Jesus' baptism ? Matthew and Mark - different.
Where was Jesus the day after his Baptism ? Synoptics are different than John.
Was Jarius' daughter already dead ? Matthew and Mark conflict, no way to reconcile. Either she was dead or not.
Was Jesus silent at his trial ? In Mark he is silent, in another gospel he gives a long speech. Which is it ?
How did Judas die ? Which of the fairy stories is really true ? They are WAY different.
Who actually went to the tomb on Easter morning and what did they see ? The stories are all different.
Matthew quotes the WRONG prophet : The business of the 30 pieces of silver is not in Jeremiah, it's in Zechariah. Woops.

Yeah Leon, it's not just nitpicking. There are substantial differences in the naratives, ... they cannot be reconciled.
The differences are so important that real scholars have written MANY books about them, attempting to explain them away.
This is why the childish nonsence that Percival thought he would get into, has totally backfired here.
There really ARE contradictions, and they are recognized by scholars as problems that need to be addressed.

When exactly are Leon and Percival going to explain away these contradictions ?

Waiting.
Test
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(05-20-2021, 01:02 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: I'm looking for the verse which says...""Flying insects have four legs."
An insect which uses four limbs to walk on and two other limbs besides, doesn't violate Leviticus 11:20...

"All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you..."

creep: verb —to move slowly, quietly, and carefully, usually in order to avoid being detected.

You've simply used semantics to change creep to "walk".   Not good enough.

Oh... and bats are birds and dolphins are fish LOL.

And why doesn't the bible make even one mention of koalas, kangaroos, numbats,
echidnas, platypuses, or emus?   The emu is the second largest bird in the world,
but apparently your god forgot it actually made them?    How does that work?

Bearing in mind that...

In Genesis 7:15 it states that Noah’s cargo was limited to all land-dwelling animals
in which was the breath of life.   (Which clearly excludes fish and other sea creatures).
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(05-20-2021, 12:49 PM)airportkid Wrote: Yet, where the bible is less than a million words, trillions (or more) words have been set forth that purport to explain what the bible says.  How does that work?  Every single author attempting to express some biblical concept in words other than the bible's words is essentially declaring his literary excursions are superior to what the god produced, that what the god produced is imperfect.

What if the perfect god determined that it was best to give his word in such a manner that men needed to think, write and talk about it in order to understand it?

Prov 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter,
But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

How much for a bushel of precision picked cherries?
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Phaedrus