Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 Contradictions in the Bible

(05-19-2021, 03:12 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The bible claims that flying insects have 4 legs, not six....

Where's that one?
Damn. That would be a deal-breaker for me if that's what is actually claimed.
What's the proof text?

@Percie did you know about this one?
That the bible allegedly claims (quote) "flying insects have four legs" (unquote)???
I can't remember ever reading that. 

Dunno

Quote:If I encountered a contradiction in the bible, I would abandon my faith in God's Word.

I knew he was lying.
Funny, this is one of the famous ones ... but Leon has probably never even read the Babble.

(05-20-2021, 12:39 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: Where's that one?

Leviticus 11:20–23
All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth. These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind. But all other flying insects which have four feet shall be an abomination to you.
[Image: 8a487e2d72e959c458857f1b72271166.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-18-2021, 11:22 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 02:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not....

This isnt a question of allegory versus literal.

Human : I've seen the face of God. (Genesis 32:30)
God : No. You haven't. (John 1:18)
Human : ....but, but, I thought... (Deuteronomy 5:4)
God : Nope. (Exodus 33:23)

So. That takes care of that alleged contradiction.

Hand waving 101. Dodgy Surely you have something better. Then again...

How is that hand-waving? I explained how the question is resolved.

If I say I think I've seen God's face and God tells me I'm mistaken...(because my physical, terrestrial eyes cannot view an omnipresent, immaterial Being) thats not God contradicting Himself.

A contradiction would be God telling Percie that everyone/anyone on earth can see His face and live, and then telling me that its impossible for everyone/anyone to ever see His face.
The following 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post:
  • Percie

We know what the ancient Hebrews thought the universe looked like, and how it is described in the Babble.
It is NOTHING like we know it actually looks, and the Hebrews knew of nothing that was any different than any of their surrounding cultures.
They were just another Semitic culture. Nothing special.
https://pursuingveritas.com/2014/05/14/a...cosmology/

(05-20-2021, 12:51 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth. These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind. But all other flying insects which have four feet shall be an abomination to you.

No. Thats not the one.

Im looking for the verse which says...""Flying insects have four legs."
An insect which uses four limbs to walk on and two other limbs besides, doesn't violate Leviticus 11:20. Carl Linnaeus wouldn't have a problem with that.

I've seen dogs walking on two legs. They don't cease being dogs.

(05-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:22 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: This isnt a question of allegory versus literal.

Hand waving 101. Dodgy Surely you have something better. Then again...

No, ou didn't. You tried passing off your interpretation of what your buy-bull says as fact and trying to hand wave away what it actually says.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Phaedrus, Deesse23

[Image: 85586_dlvvryux9dbpi6e_full.jpeg?v=2]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Bucky Ball

(05-20-2021, 01:09 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:22 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Hand waving 101. Dodgy Surely you have something better. Then again...

No, you didn't. You tried passing off your interpretation of what your buy-bull says as fact and trying to hand wave away what it actually says.

Um...arent YOU hand-waving my rationale?
  • Percie

Quote:Like I said earlier. Mary had sex before marriage.

The slut.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-20-2021, 12:39 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 03:12 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The bible claims that flying insects have 4 legs, not six....

Where's that one?
What's the proof text?

That the bible allegedly claims (quote) "flying insects have four legs" (unquote)???

Dunno

Leviticus 11:23 

Quote:Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket, or grasshopper.  (23)  ALL other flying insects that have four legs are detestable to you.  

Bolding is mine.   

There is no flying insect that has four legs.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus

[Image: young-earth-creationism-is-essentially-t...680417.png]
  • Phaedrus, brunumb

(05-18-2021, 09:03 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 02:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not....

This isnt a question of allegory versus literal.

So, some of the things the bible says are clearly false.

Yes. For example, satan says to Jesus that he will give Jesus all the kingdoms of the world but that was false. It wasn't satan's to give. Cain lied when he said he didn't know what happened to Abel.
Rahab lied to protect the Israelite spies. 

Quote:So what is your litmus test for determining whether something the bible says is true?

Whether or not it has been unambiguously falsified. Thats the test.

(05-20-2021, 01:41 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 12:39 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:

Where's that one?
What's the proof text?

Dunno

Quote:Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket, or grasshopper.  (23)  ALL other flying insects that have four legs are detestable to you.  

Bolding is mine.   

Here's one.

[Image: Praying-Mantis.jpg]
  • Percie

The mantis doesn't fly so much as it jumps.
[Image: 8a487e2d72e959c458857f1b72271166.gif]

(05-20-2021, 01:02 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 12:51 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

No. Thats not the one.

Im looking for the verse which says...""Flying insects have four legs."
An insect which uses four limbs to walk on and two other limbs besides, doesn't violate Leviticus 11:20. Carl Linnaeus wouldn't have a problem with that.

I've seen dogs walking on two legs. They don't cease being dogs.

That's the one, honey. It gives instructions that flying insects which "have four legs" can be eaten.  It does not say flying insects with six legs.  ALLLL fucking flying insects have 6 legs, sweety pie.      

Here's some flying insects.  

[Image: Lady-bug-540x540.jpg]

[Image: How-To-Keep-Flies-Under-Control-Main.jpg...0D6F948454]

[Image: file-20170627-21697-1d3ng5m.jpg?ixlib=rb...4&fit=clip]

[Image: 8bee013544e42cd325be3bf3a1b1c109.jpg]  

[Image: colorful-and-black-silhouettes-flying-in...674228.jpg]

The dragonfly and butterfly also have 6 legs but one cannot see it in the photo.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, Bucky Ball, brunumb, Gwaithmir

(05-20-2021, 01:50 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: Yes. For example, satan says to Jesus that he will give Jesus all the kingdoms of the world but that was false.
It wasn't satan's to give.

Wow. That right there, that's Leon's idea of a deepity.
But the real question is, "Did Mary actually have a little lamb ?"

This is incredibly hilarious.
Leon and Percival show up, and what is AD dragged down to ?
What did satan say to Jesus.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ ... and I bet these people are actually adults.

And BTW, Leon, your exegesis is 100 % false.
Any fool knows that (in the MYTH) Satan recognizes Jesus, (he didn't take just anyone up the mountain), and knows that he (Jesus)
has the power to do and get anything he might chose to obtain FOR HIMSELF.
The issue, fool, is not that Satan has to give Jesus anything. The issue is that Jesus, having the power to take for himself anything he wants, as HE ALREADY HAS THAT POWER, is TEMPTED to use his power for material gain. ... but thanks Lean for playing and coming to an atheist site to have your Babble story explained to you. Pick one for tomorrow, and we'll explain it to you again. And that one you said is false, actually isn't an example of one of those at all. You should take Bible 101. It will help you navigate these difficult waters of Jebusism.

But ... good to know that you think you get to cherry-pick which part of your Babble is true and which is not, and on top of that, make the choice based on a false exegesis.
Good going Leon.
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Almost forgot this one.  

Quote: Deuteronomy 20:17[edit]

But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee

The bible is wrong, wrong, wrong.  DNA has proven that there are many descendants of the Canaanites today.  

Quote: New genetic research from the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute has found that far from being destroyed, the Canaanites morphed into the inhabitants of modern Lebanon.

Scientists in the United Kingdom-based genetic research center sequenced the genomes of five 4,000-year-old Canaanite individuals and compared them to other ancient and present-day populations, including a sample of 99 modern Lebanese

The results, published July 27 in the American Journal of Human Genetics, show that 93 percent of the ancestry of modern Lebanese ancestry comes from the Canaanites.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-canaan...o-lebanon/
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, brunumb, Gwaithmir

(05-20-2021, 01:53 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 01:41 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
What's the proof text?

Dunno

Bolding is mine.   

Here's one.

[Image: Praying-Mantis.jpg]

Praying mantis are classified as Phasmids.  They have 6 legs.  

Google, "how many legs does a phasmatodea have?"    You'll find that the answer is .......  six.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, TheGentlemanBastard, Deesse23, Gwaithmir

(05-20-2021, 02:23 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: ... You'll find that the answer is .......  six

D42, you certainly realize by now that you're wrong on that point; as the picture so clearly and obviously shows, that mantis has 4 legs and TWO APPENDAGES.  Tongue
The following 3 users Like airportkid's post:
  • Dancefortwo, TheGentlemanBastard, Deesse23

(05-20-2021, 02:31 AM)airportkid Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 02:23 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: ... You'll find that the answer is .......  six

D42, you certainly realize by now that you're wrong on that point; as the picture so clearly and obviously shows, that mantis has 4 legs and TWO APPENDAGES.  Tongue

LOL.  Yup.  

He's looking at the picture of the praying mantis and thinks it looks like arms so in his theist brain it must be arms.  Giggle
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir

(05-20-2021, 01:50 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: This isnt a question of allegory versus literal.

Yes. For example, satan says to Jesus that he will give Jesus all the kingdoms of the world but that was false. It wasn't satan's to give. Cain lied when he said he didn't know what happened to Abel.

Quote:So what is your litmus test for determining whether something the bible says is true?

I think you've got things backward. Showing something falsified would show that it is false, not true. What I'm asking is how you determine what in the bible is true. For example, you've given two examples where it is claimed that God said certain things. How do you know that this is true if not everything claimed in the bible is necessarily true?
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Dancefortwo

He does see a "praying" mantis. Big Grin

Dumb religitard asshole.

https://www.ducksters.com/animals/praying_mantis.php

Quote:Once fully grown, a Praying Mantis will grow wings and can fly. It has six legs. The back four legs are primarily used for walking, while the front two legs are have sharp spines that help the Praying Mantis capture and hold on to prey.

Why don't you pray to fucking jesus to fix that for you?
  • Phaedrus, Dancefortwo

(05-20-2021, 01:50 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:

There seems to be an admission:  People lie (turns out it wasn't Satan's to give) (Cain lied) (Rahab lied) etc.  If so, Isn't it far more reasonable to accept that people lie than that incredible supernatural events occur?  It seems like once you accept that people lie, it is not reasonable to think they aren't lying in cases that fit a particular narrative you are defending.  What is your standard for determining these things?  Why is it some amazing leap of faith to go from these people that you admit lied to "these other things written here are also lies"?