Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 Contradictions in the Bible

Since SYZ tosses this into many unrelated threads (making it both a red herring and kitchen sinking), I thought I'd look at this in its own thread.

https://www.answering-christianity.com/1...ctions.htm

Quote:1. Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?

God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

Both. Satan did so directly, God did so indirectly by giving permission to Satan.

This answer would immediately come to most people who have read Job, as the interaction among God, Satan and Job is shown in detail there. The author is showing that he doesn't know the Bible as a whole, he's just skimming for apparent contradictions or taking them from other sources without considering their validity. It's a really bad way to start.

Quote:2. In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
One million, one hundred thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)

Now the author is showing his ignorance of the doctrine of inerrancy. The typical belief on inerrancy is that it applies to the autographs (originals) only. It doesn't apply to copies and translations. Copying errors happen and they're particularly easy with numbers, but significant doctrines aren't affected as they're supported by multiple passages and we have multiple manuscripts. No one is basing their salvation on such numbers. (BTW such contradictions are good arguments against charges of redaction.)

Here's a fairly well-known statement on inerrancy:

https://www.etsjets.org/files/documents/...tement.pdf

Quote:Article X
We affirm that inspiration, strictly speaking, applies only to the autographic text of Scripture, which in the providence of God can be ascertained from available manuscripts with great accuracy. We further affirm that copies and translations of Scripture are the Word of God to the extent that they faithfully represent the original.

We deny that any essential element of the Christian faith is affected by the absence of the autographs. We further deny that this absence renders the assertion of Biblical inerrancy invalid or irrelevant.

I'm not going through each of the remaining 99. SYZ, I suggest you pick the 5 that you think are strongest and we can discuss.

If I encountered a contradiction in the bible, I would abandon my faith in God's Word.

(05-18-2021, 11:51 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: If I encountered a contradiction in the bible, I would abandon my faith in God's Word.

I wouldn't. There have been contradictions I didn't understand at first, but then later did. If I encounter a contradiction I can't explain (and maybe I will, I didn't read the whole list) I'd take it on faith that there is an answer, but I just don't have it yet. I suspect you'd do the same.
The following 1 user Likes Percie's post:
  • Lion IRC

(05-18-2021, 11:45 AM)Percie Wrote: Since SYZ tosses this into many unrelated threads (making it both a red herring and kitchen sinking), I thought I'd look at this in its own thread.

https://www.answering-christianity.com/1...ctions.htm

Quote:1. Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?

God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

Both. Satan did so directly, God did so indirectly by giving permission to Satan.

This answer would immediately come to most people who have read Job, as the interaction among God, Satan and Job is shown in detail there. The author is showing that he doesn't know the Bible as a whole, he's just skimming for apparent contradictions or taking them from other sources without considering their validity. It's a really bad way to start.

Quote:2. In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
One million, one hundred thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)

Now the author is showing his ignorance of the doctrine of inerrancy. The typical belief on inerrancy is that it applies to the autographs (originals) only. It doesn't apply to copies and translations. Copying errors happen and they're particularly easy with numbers, but significant doctrines aren't affected as they're supported by multiple passages and we have multiple manuscripts. No one is basing their salvation on such numbers. (BTW such contradictions are good arguments against charges of redaction.)

Here's a fairly well-known statement on inerrancy:

https://www.etsjets.org/files/documents/...tement.pdf

Quote:Article X
We affirm that inspiration, strictly speaking, applies only to the autographic text of Scripture, which in the providence of God can be ascertained from available manuscripts with great accuracy. We further affirm that copies and translations of Scripture are the Word of God to the extent that they faithfully represent the original.

We deny that any essential element of the Christian faith is affected by the absence of the autographs. We further deny that this absence renders the assertion of Biblical inerrancy invalid or irrelevant.

I'm not going through each of the remaining 99. SYZ, I suggest you pick the 5 that you think are strongest and we can discuss.

How totally inadequate is this bullshit.  Tongue
I have 492.
https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html
LOL

No one cares what a little ignorant regurgitates about his holy horsehit.

Quote:This answer would immediately come to most people who have read Job, as the interaction among God, Satan and Job is shown in detail there. The author is showing that he doesn't know the Bible as a whole, he's just skimming for apparent contradictions or taking them from other sources without considering their validity. It's a really bad way to start.

Wrong. The FIRST rule of debate, is "know your opponent". Copy-pasting this crap from a Christian site, (or wherever you plagiarized it) for non-believers is useless. You have to explain it in terms that make sense to non-believers. We all know you drank the idiot's Kool-aid.
How about you go away and find where "most poeple who have read Job" give a shit about Job. What exactly are your credentials to be preaching about the Bible ? You have NO ORIGINALS, and the denials are nothing but lame excuses. No one cares what is denied or affirmed. No one. No mainline scholar actually speaks in these terms, and you have no evidence they do. We don't care about "statements on inerrancy". The fact is, the contradictions exist. Basically what you're saying is "Anything can be explained away". Why is it your Babble doesn't claim "inerrerancy" ? Oh, because the authors/editors of the texts didn't know about contradictions.

We do understand Percie, that what this is all about is YOUR doubts and YOUR being uncomfortable.

The fact is, historically, scholars began to see that things didn't make sense. Like how could Moses actually write about his own death and burial ?
So no .... you may be from an American Fundamentalist sect ... but they are not exactly known for their scholarship, and scholars at mainline universities never look to this Fundamentalist BS for anything.

Quote:I'm not going through each of the remaining 99. SYZ, I suggest you pick the 5 that you think are strongest and we can discuss.

Why pick any, ... why discuss any ?
You already said you can explain away anything, and if you can't it's a result of copying.
You began with a preemptively dishonest position.

If your Jebus-god actually existed, he could make sure there were no contradictions and no copying errors, if that were actually important.
Mighty weak Jebus-god ya got there.

The fact is, there are major thematic contradictions, ... contradictions which cannot be explained away by any "copying" errors.
The entire business of the discovery "in the temple" (which did not exist yet), of Deuteronomy, as described in 2 Kings,
contradicts that it could have come from Moses, is one example.

Also Percie, the study of Archaic Hebrew totally refutes any claims you might have about inerrancy.
The differences are well-known to scholars in vocabulary, syntax and literary style of Archaic Hebrew, and they CHANGE from century to century, and sometimes from decade to decade.
The claim that authorship and translation differences in texts with different vocabulary, syntax and style are the result of translation and copying error is simply not credible.
The traditions of the myths arose and formed in different geographical locations, EVOLVED, and were eventually edited and combined, (why there are two creation stories in Genesis, which can easily be pulled apart, into at least four lines of myths, EACH with their own vocabulary and syntax).

Yeah, Percie ... you are no scholar. Just a Fundie, regurgitating what someone told him. Time to go get a real education.
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V, SYZ, Inkubus, brunumb

Biblical contradictions are there to be skillfully detected by reading comprehension. Of course, those contradictions can also be easily ignored via cognitive dissonance and a feeble apologist mindset.
[Image: 8a487e2d72e959c458857f1b72271166.gif]
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • SYZ, Minimalist, skyking

(05-18-2021, 11:51 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: If I encountered a contradiction in the bible, I would abandon my faith in God's Word.

OMG. Not you. What high tragedy.
We see how deeply your faith is based.
It will never happen.
We all know you can say "black is white" and be perfectly comfortable with your lies.
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • SYZ

You're a fucking dickhead mate.     Facepalm

You've obviously not read through the link Percie posted.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • adey67

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_St...le_signers
The CSBI was signed by many who were Fudamentalists, yet NOT scholars.
LMFAO

There are major criticisms of it even from within the Evangelical communities.

"Old Testament theologian Peter Enns was greatly critical of the statement saying, "Much of what burdens CSBI can be summed up as failing to reflect adequately on the nature of inspiration. The irony is clear. In their efforts to protect biblical authority, the framers define inspiration in a way that does not account well for how the Bible actually behaves."

Theologian Roger Olson recognised the political elements of the statements: "In all such efforts, projects, there is a perceived 'enemy' to be excluded."[6] He adds: "When I look at the Chicago Statement on inerrancy and its signatories I believe it is more a political (in the broad sense) statement than a clear, precise, statement of perfect agreement among the signatories. In other words, what was really going on there... was driven by a shared concern to establish and patrol 'evangelical boundaries'."

Criticism of position on evolution
The Hermeneutics statement was received negatively by scientists of Christian persuasion; it specifically came out against what it called "evolutionism":

Article 19: "WE DENY that Scripture should be required to fit alien preunderstandings, inconsistent with itself, such as naturalism, evolutionism, scientism, secular humanism, and relativism."
Article 22: "WE DENY that the teachings of Genesis 1-11 are mythical and that scientific hypotheses about earth history or the origin of humanity may be invoked to overthrow what Scripture teaches about creation."[8]
The official commentary was forthright: "...a recognition of the factual nature of the account of the creation of the universe, all living things, the special creation of man, the Fall, and the Flood. These accounts are all factual, that is, they are about space-time events which actually happened as reported in the book of Genesis. ... Likewise, the use of the term 'creation' was meant to exclude the belief in macro-evolution, whether of the atheistic or theistic varieties.

The Biblical Application statement was also forthright in its denial of evolutionary thought: "Mainstream Protestantism ... provides a cautionary tale in this regard, for it has erred in a radical way by acquiring the habit of regularly relativizing biblical teaching to current secular fashion, whether rationalist, historicist, evolutionist, existentialist, Marxist, or whatever. But this is to forget how sin darkens and misdirects the human intellect..." and "for our secular society insists on judging itself, not by the revelation of the Creator that the Bible sets forth, but by evolutionary, permissive, materialistic, hedonistic, and this-worldly yardsticks...".

The statements' rejection of the scientific consensus about evolution has been strongly criticised by thinkers within the evangelical community itself, such as Richard Wright: "the important Chicago Inerrancy statements simply miss the target when addressing the relationship between science and the bible. ... [D]iscussions on science and the bible touch upon very important and profound theological issues, which require some amount of expounding, but none was given. The statements supply a surprisingly large number of articles and other declarations that insist that all the bible is literal, historical truth, including Genesis. Those articles, combined with Geisler's commentary to those articles, reveal contradictions, inconsistencies, and a healthy dose of lazy theology."

LOL
  • Dānu

(05-18-2021, 01:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: ... provides a cautionary tale in this regard, for it has erred in a radical way by acquiring the habit of regularly relativizing biblical teaching to current secular fashion, whether rationalist, historicist, evolutionist, existentialist, Marxist, or whatever. But this is to forget how sin darkens and misdirects the human intellect..." and "for our secular society insists on judging itself, not by the revelation of the Creator that the Bible sets forth, but by evolutionary, permissive, materialistic, hedonistic, and this-worldly yardsticks...".

Thus spake the dishonest (or stupid) agents who ignore the dictates in Leviticus to stone children who sass their parents.  Whence the good sense to ignore Leviticus (or cherry-pick it)?  Can't be the bible.

Has science ever concocted some equivalent "manifesto"?  I can't think of any.  Not necessary when figuring out how the universe works depends on being able to revise knowledge instead of fossilize it.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Quote: “… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” — Genesis 32:30

“No man hath seen God at any time…”– John 1:18

What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not. Some things mean this and some things mean that.   That way when the bible makes mistakes you can INTERPRET the bible to say and mean whatever the hell you want it to say and mean and feel ok believing in this mythical nonsense.  Here's a book that not all christians can even agree on and the Jews and Muslims have an entirely different religion stemming from it's mythical god.

This is why the bible is a meaningless, worthless piece of shit.  You get more practical advice out of Aesop's Fables and Confucianism plus you're not believing in an angry ass deity that murders children.
                                                         T4618
The following 6 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, Bucky Ball, Szuchow, Deesse23, brunumb

There is a series of volumes, 12 I believe, which actually does reflect the positions of almost all the (real) scholars in the mid 20th Century.
https://www.amazon.com/Interpreters-Bibl...B000HTP248
Almost every word in every text is examined, and the translations addressed.
The authors and editors are actual scholars, and come from many universities, including very conservative institutions.

I'm at work, and the hospital no longer allows access to personal email here, following all the hacking and ransomware incidents.
When I get home, I will post much more about this seminal work of scholarship, and why and how these people (150 of THE best scholars of the day),
REJECTED literal inerrancy. They all had a chance to review the writing of the others, before publication, (they all wrote on different topics), so we know that mainline Biblical scholarship REJECTED
literal inerrancy, and literal interpretation, in the 1950's ... going on 70 years ago.
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dānu, Alan V

(05-18-2021, 02:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Quote: “… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” — Genesis 32:30

What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not. Some things mean this and some things mean that.   That way when the bible makes mistakes you can INTERPRET the bible to say and mean whatever the hell you want it to say and mean and feel ok believing in this mythical nonsense.  Here's a book that not all christians can even agree on and the Jews and Muslims have an entirely different religion stemming from it's mythical god.

This is why the bible is a meaningless, worthless piece of shit.  You get more practical advice out of Aesop's Fables and Confucianism plus you're not believing in an angry ass deity that murders children.

"But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."
Exodus 33:20
  • Dancefortwo

(05-18-2021, 03:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

Yup.

And then there's the geneology of Jesus in Luke and Matthew which contradict each other. Two totally different takes on his ancesters.  And it's never explained why Joseph is in the picture at all.  According to Christians Joseph isn't even the father. A god is Jesus' father.  Joseph didn't have sex with Mary. How could he be the father?   So why are we reading about Joseph's geneaology? 

Additionally, if Mary were a pregnant unwed mother engaged to Joseph she would have been taken down to the market place and stoned to death.

Quote: Deuteronomy 22:13-22  If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found,  she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

The other problem with stoning women and the entire Christian virgin birth story (besides the translation error from Isaiah 7:14.  That's a whole different thread topic)  is that if the messiah was supposed to have been prophesized to be "born of a virgin" via a god spirit, why are unwed pregnant women, who could possible be carrying the messiah, stoned to death?   If the Jews were really waiting around for a  pregnant woman to give birth to the messiah then stoning women for any reason at all would have been abolished, just in case.  

Christianity is senseless shit.
                                                         T4618

<yawn>  These two assholes must have mistaken us for people who give a shit what they think.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(05-18-2021, 03:35 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 03:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 02:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not. Some things mean this and some things mean that.   That way when the bible makes mistakes you can INTERPRET the bible to say and mean whatever the hell you want it to say and mean and feel ok believing in this mythical nonsense.  Here's a book that not all christians can even agree on and the Jews and Muslims have an entirely different religion stemming from it's mythical god.

Yup.

And then there's the geneology of Jesus in Luke and Matthew which contradict each other. Two totally different takes on his ancesters.  And it's never explained why Joseph is in the picture at all.  According to Christians Joseph isn't even the father. A god is Jesus' father.  Joseph didn't have sex with Mary. How could he be the father?   So why are we reading about Joseph's geneaology? 

Additionally, if Mary were a pregnant unwed mother engaged to Joseph she would have been taken down to the market place and stoned to death.

Quote: Deuteronomy 22:13-22  If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found,  she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

The other problem with stoning women and the entire Christian virgin birth story (besides the translation error from Isaiah 7:14.  That's a whole different thread topic)  is that if the messiah was supposed to have been prophesized to be "born of a virgin" via a god spirit, why are unwed pregnant women, who could possible be carrying the messiah, stoned to death?   If the Jews were really waiting around for a  pregnant woman to give birth to the messiah then stoning women for any reason at all would have been abolished, just in case.  

Christianity is senseless shit.

I have a post on the Virgin Birth, (saved from TTA). I can't access it right now, but will post it later. The translated term does not mean "virgin" ... it means "young woman of marriageable age". The Christians screwed up the translation.
The actual advice, (NOT PROPHESY) in Isaiah to the king, was that one of his wives/mistresses WAS ALREADY pregnant, and that (at the time ... the ancient king) should be seen as a sign that Yahweh was with him, "Emmanuel" .... there's that "el" again ... in the battle they were fighting, AT THE TIME.
  • Dancefortwo

Odd. The actions I've seen most often from faith heads is to ignore it, attempt to explain it away, blame it on translation/transcription errors, claiming "mysterious ways," etc...
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

The really funny thing is that muslims believe that god pissed in mo's ear and THOSE are the literal words of god.  Since the books are different, one is forced to wonder why god - like some third-rate criminal - can't keep his fucking story straight!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Since the contradictions are deliberately planted by god to test faith, you flunk outright.  Again and again and again the believers insist it's faith that matters and that to seek scientific confirmation is an affront that concedes defeat of faith.  Yet in the same breath used to affirm faith science is touted where it seems to reinforce belief.  Faith is the antithesis of science; the two flags cannot be brandished simultaneously.  Somewhere in the ghastly depths of the bible that jackass of a god declares he makes deliberate deceits to test faith and all the endless contradictions are nothing if not deceits.  A true champion of faith would celebrate every contradictions as proof god exists - and is a dick.
The following 2 users Like airportkid's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir

What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not....

This isnt a question of allegory versus literal.

Human : I've seen the face of God. (Genesis 32:30)
God : No. You haven't. (John 1:18)
Human : ....but, but, I thought... (Deuteronomy 5:4)
God : Nope. (Exodus 33:23)

So. That takes care of that alleged contradiction.

(05-18-2021, 04:06 PM)Minimalist Wrote: <yawn>  These two assholes must have mistaken us for people who give a shit what they think.

The only reason we we are absolutely certain you give a shit is because folks like you dedicate so much time trying to find alleged contradictions.

Your feigned disinterest was followed up (almost immediately) by a second unsolicited post in a thread you claimed you don't give a shit about. 

And don't use the word "us" when talking about your atheist buddies who are interested in posting in this thread.

(05-18-2021, 06:55 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The really funny thing is that muslims believe that god pissed in mo's ear and THOSE are the literal words of god.  Since the books are different, one is forced to wonder why god - like some third-rate criminal - can't keep his fucking story straight!

(05-18-2021, 08:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:

What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not....

What does god need with a starship? (Star Trek V)
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • adey67

(05-18-2021, 02:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: What you christians do is twist things around so some passages are allegorical and some are not....

So, some of the things the bible says are clearly false. So what is your litmus test for determining whether something the bible says is true?
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]

Nope.  It does  NOT take care of the contradictions. It makes you look like a blind idiot who can't comprehend what you're reading.  You're doing what theists always do.  You cut and past passages together and edit it to make it fit your worldview.    The bible is rife with contradictions.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • adey67

(05-18-2021, 08:46 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: The only reason we we are absolutely certain you give a shit is because folks like you dedicate so much time trying to find alleged contradictions.
Your feigned disinterest was followed up (almost immediately) by a second unsolicited post in a thread you claimed you don't give a shit about. 
And don't use the word "us" when talking about your atheist buddies who are interested in posting in this thread.

Nope, nope and nope.
My list took about 5 seconds to find on Google, (I've always known it was there), and maybe 5 seconds to post.
I'm sure SYZ's took less time. Are you so stupid you actually think WE made these lists ?
Your assumptions are 100 % incorrect, Mr. 'Leon'. Angel

EVERYONE knows about these contradictions. This is not 3rd Grade Bible Study ... the level you ALWAYS pull a discussion down to.
The Fundy BS level. No one here "looks for contradictions". It doesn't take a genius to know about them.
Apparently they disturb you two.

Min's background is extensive. Virtually nothing he posts, needs to be looked up.
Yours on the other hand, is nonexistent.
We are not interested in Bible contradictions … we know they are numerous, and only Fundies like you two "care" about them.
They are useful to demonstrate how stupid your cult is. There is nothing "interesting" about them, per se.
I already told you, no one here cares about your ancient cults, except as historical episodes.
People here have grown out of religions, (the ones that ever had one in the first place).
You are still stuck in your childhood mental phase. How sad.
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, SYZ

So Percie ... how did this thread work out for ya then ?
As you expected ?
Why is it you are unable to post a coherent comment on the CSBI.
Have you even read it ? They fucking deny evolution. Don't tell me you deny evolution ?

Just checking on you. Don't feel shunned.