Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The reality whether we like it or not

(05-17-2021, 04:08 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 03:15 AM)Dom Wrote: I sent him on a 6 month vacation. Yes, he does have mental issues, he is not a troll. Perhaps he will get better.

Link is a serial offender who never gets better. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, he was a fun, if a bit nutty, positive member at AF. He went on a sabbatical from the forum, if memory serves, to study Islam in further depth, and returned the crazy, hateful nutjob we know so well today. I actually miss the former Link, or Mystic Knight as he was known then. The asshole he's become, I will never miss.

I understand, and will try to remember not reply to his past posts.. It is often sad when people change for the worse (in our opinion) and I hope for recovery from whatever issues trouble him. But it happens. You did what was necessary.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(05-17-2021, 04:08 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 03:15 AM)Dom Wrote: I sent him on a 6 month vacation. Yes, he does have mental issues, he is not a troll. Perhaps he will get better.

Link is a serial offender who never gets better. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, he was a fun, if a bit nutty, positive member at AF. He went on a sabbatical from the forum, if memory serves, to study Islam in further depth, and returned the crazy, hateful nutjob we know so well today. I actually miss the former Link, or Mystic Knight as he was known then. The asshole he's become, I will never miss.

He got worse, he might find a way back to reason, who knows? What I do know is I am glad to offer compassion when at all possible.
I appreciate giving him a vacations vs a permaban.
test signature
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Kim, adey67

(05-16-2021, 09:55 PM)Link Wrote: ...Better just to fear God and accept him while there is still time to reform.

I appreciate that this moronic arsewipe has been banned, but for only
6 months.   In my humble opinion, it should be a permanent ban.  

Link has never shown any genuine interest in debating atheism as such,
and has repeatedly proselytised in the name of Islam.  He's seldom
posted in any other of our general topic threads—other than a couple
of those devoted solely to religion.  He's like all his Muslim peers; an
insidious invader of the world (us) of—as he sees us—infidels that must
be destroyed in the name of Allah.   Don't be fooled.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Cavebear

Oh. Link, my friend.

What happened?
The following 1 user Likes Cypher44's post:
  • Kim

(05-17-2021, 12:36 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 09:55 PM)Link Wrote: ...Better just to fear God and accept him while there is still time to reform.

I appreciate that this moronic arsewipe has been banned, but for only
6 months.   In my humble opinion, it should be a permanent ban.  

Link has never shown any genuine interest in debating atheism as such,
and has repeatedly proselytised in the name of Islam.  He's seldom
posted in any other of our general topic threads—other than a couple
of those devoted solely to religion.  He's like all his Muslim peers; an
insidious invader of the world (us) of—as he sees us—infidels that must
be destroyed in the name of Allah.   Don't be fooled.

I agree completely.  But will also add that I consider this site (by title) to be a place where fellow atheists can discuss general life and world events WITHOUT the religious point of view,  Just among ourselves.  I value that.  I WILL argue with theists when they are annoying enough or I get bored, but that is not my point in coming here.  I want to talk to people free of theism.

Am I wrong?
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ

(05-16-2021, 09:55 PM)Link Wrote: Dear Atheists,

Whether you accept God or not, doesn't change the luminous nature of God and his light and his Angels who are with you.

He is with you there apparent and hidden, manifest and concealed, and it's up to you to wake up and destroy the intoxicating uncleanness that causes you to doubt and disbelieve.

His vision is where you exist, you don't exist in a brain, you exist in his vision and when remembering his vision and you, you should easily remember, but alas: no argument no matter how robust will make you see him, and no argument no matter how robust will stop a believer from seeing him.

The reality is believing and disbelieving in God and his Messengers is directly linked to what it means to be good or evil, and no amount of hate towards everlasting torture as a punishment and jealousy towards the only people that God accepts their actions, will change reality of who and what God is.

Better just to fear God and accept him while there is still time to reform.

Free speech.
Free thought.
Contest of ideas.

You have blasphemed against these enlightenment ideals. You must be banned.

lionirc@gmail.com

(05-17-2021, 12:44 PM)Cypher44 Wrote: Oh. Link, my friend.

What happened?

He went off into fantasy-world.

He is off his meds again. You guys pegged it right.

I remember him from TTA as Mystic Knight also. He was there for years. He is not a bad sort when he takes his meds. Some people have real issues with the meds, mental issues can be difficult to dose for.  I hope he goes back to the doc and they find something better for him. It would be nice to have him back.

Lion, you obviously don't know him. But, had he stayed here he would end up going totally off the rails again. It's not doing him any favors. You should likely read the ban log before opining on bannings, it's not a long read, we rarely ban, we have few rules (you should read those too). 

And SYZ, no, I am not into punishing people for having mental issues. I am more into protection and treatment. It's not his fault.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I replied to Link even though I know he's mentall ill.   I'll not do that again. 

Mental illness is a rough row to hoe.   People on anti-psychotics get better and then start to think they don't need the medication because they feel fine so they go off the medication and spiral down.  Then they're put back on the medication and it eventually happens again.  Believing they are much better and don't need the medication is part of the mental illness that the medication doesn't fix.  It's very strange.

It is my hope that science can really tackle mental illness in the next decade.  There are slow release medications that can be implanted in the arm so the person doesn't have to remember to take the medication.  If I recall correctly the medication can last up to two years.   Unfortunately those with mental illness fight this because they think it's some sort of mind control device and in a way it is but not in the manner the mentally ill think it is.  With this implant system it's difficult to adjust the medication and mix it with other complementary drugs so that's one of it's drawbacks.  

Anyway, I hope Link gets help.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom, adey67

(01-01-1970, 12:27 AM)Lion IRC Wrote: Free speech.
Free thought.
Contest of ideas.

lionirc@gmail.com

It's an entirely different story when a member is being psychologically abusive and bringing up the notion of eternal torment, but of course, you have to defend psychological abuse.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Whether you accept God or not, doesn't change the luminous nature of God and his light and his Angels who are with you.

He is with you there apparent and hidden, manifest and concealed, and it's up to you to wake up and destroy the intoxicating uncleanness that causes you to doubt and disbelieve.

His vision is where you exist, you don't exist in a brain, you exist in his vision and when remembering his vision and you, you should easily remember, but alas: no argument no matter how robust will make you see him, and no argument no matter how robust will stop a believer from seeing him.

The reality is believing and disbelieving in God and his Messengers is directly linked to what it means to be good or evil, and no amount of hate towards everlasting torture as a punishment and jealousy towards the only people that God accepts their actions, will change reality of who and what God is.

Right, now you listen to me and you listen good, you have already had one six month suspension and IMHO you are extremely lucky to have got another rather than a total ban, I strongly suspect you will not get a third suspension.

I don't dislike you but you cannot continue to behave in this fashion, we share one thing in common and that's a degree of mental illness, where we differ is that I take my motherfucking meds and have at least some respect for the environment I'm posting in, I also have a degree of self awareness that you seem to completely lack (because religion)

Mental illness really fucking sucks and if I could give you a hug and make things right for you I would do it in a heart beat but I can't and nor can anyone else, so you need to man up and face your (metaphorical) demons and stop your proselytising bullshit, try treating us like regular people, get to know us (you might be surprised how supportive we could be).
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 5 users Like adey67's post:
  • Dom, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, SYZ

(05-17-2021, 12:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:

Free speech.
Free thought.
Contest of ideas.

lionirc@gmail.com

You and your religion are fucking hypocrites, I goddamn guarantee that if any of us posted like how you do here but on a Christian forum that our arses would be banned almost immediately, the fact that you're still here is absolute proof that we have a far greater respect for free speech thought and contest of ideas than you or any of your contemporaries will ever have, your post above is proof that Christians (and many of the religious in general) are some of the most entitled pricks in the history of the universe.
The following 5 users Like adey67's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, brunumb, SYZ

(05-17-2021, 06:08 PM)adey67 Wrote:

Right, now you listen to me and you listen good, you have already had one six month suspension and IMHO you are extremely lucky to have got another rather than a total ban, I strongly suspect you will not get a third suspension.

I don't dislike you but you cannot continue to behave in this fashion, we share one thing in common and that's a degree of mental illness, where we differ is that I take my motherfucking meds and have at least some respect for the environment I'm posting in, I also have a degree of self awareness that you seem to completely lack (because religion)

Mental illness really fucking sucks and if I could give you a hug and make things right for you I would do it in a heart beat but I can't and nor can anyone else, so you need to man up and face your (metaphorical) demons and stop your proselytising bullshit, try treating us like regular people, get to know us (you might be surprised how supportive we could be).

Those of us who remember him when he was taking his meds, like him. He's gone off the rails. I blame the company he appears to be keeping. Grabbing someone obviously unstable and taking advantage of their currently bad judgement is deplorable.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • adey67, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

What happened?

It's called unreasonable proselytising due to mental instability and chronic lack of social awareness unfortunately, I sincerely hope he gets better and I appreciate Dom giving him yet another chance, I only hope he takes it, he MUST man up AND start behaving in an honest and respectful manner, I struggle with horrific mental illness which at times is hugely crippling I frequently completely lose the plot internally yet am able to remember to take my meds and to maintain necessary perspective to avoid a banning, if I can do it so can he.
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(05-17-2021, 07:12 PM)Dom Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 06:08 PM)adey67 Wrote:

Those of us who remember him when he was taking his meds, like him. He's gone off the rails. I blame the company he appears to be keeping. Grabbing someone obviously unstable and taking advantage of their currently bad judgement is deplorable.

Agree 100% I don't dislike him, he can be really a kind person when he is stable, unfortunately that's rare at the moment, I want to help him but I cannot until he decides to help himself also.
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Dom

I go back a long way with Mystic Knight, too and he was always a good but kind of goofy kid.  What seriously concerns me though is that he is at the age where adult onset schizophrenia kicks in for men.  The personality changes seem to be there. Worse, he seems to have fallen in with some nutjob muslim group.  I hate to think that some shithead in a funny hat could talk him into wearing an explosive vest because "allah" will love him for it.

It's why I never miss a chance to tell him to get professional help or take his meds.  He needs psychiatric evaluation not the recommendations of strangers on a message board.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • adey67, Dom, Dancefortwo

(05-17-2021, 07:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I go back a long way with Mystic Knight, too and he was always a good but kind of goofy kid.  What seriously concerns me though is that he is at the age where adult onset schizophrenia kicks in for men.  The personality changes seem to be there. Worose, he seems to have fallen in with some nutjob muslim group.  I hate to think that some shithead in a funny hat could talk him into wearing an explosive vest because "allah" will love him for it.

It's why I never miss a chance to tell him to get professional help or take his meds.  He needs psychiatric evaluation not the recommendations of strangers on a message board.

It would be appalling if that happened. Which is another reason to support the action of admin in giving him a "rest" he needs serious professional help.

(05-17-2021, 08:05 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 07:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I go back a long way with Mystic Knight, too and he was always a good but kind of goofy kid.  What seriously concerns me though is that he is at the age where adult onset schizophrenia kicks in for men.  The personality changes seem to be there. Worose, he seems to have fallen in with some nutjob muslim group.  I hate to think that some shithead in a funny hat could talk him into wearing an explosive vest because "allah" will love him for it.

It would be appalling if that happened. Which is another reason to support the action of admin in giving him a "rest" he needs serious professional help.

Posting here gets him agitated. I do wish we could help, but we can't.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • adey67

(05-17-2021, 08:31 PM)Dom Wrote:

you're right, I wish you weren't but you are, we are not the right people to help him as much as we wish we were.

(05-17-2021, 08:31 PM)Dom Wrote:

Link's biggest online problem is that there are too many atheist sites for him to spam. As soon as one bans him, he's off to the next.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(05-17-2021, 07:23 PM)adey67 Wrote:

What happened?

It's called unreasonable proselytising due to mental instability and chronic lack of social awareness unfortunately, I sincerely hope he gets better and I appreciate Dom giving him yet another chance, I only hope he takes it, he MUST man up AND start behaving in an honest and respectful manner, I struggle with horrific mental illness which at times is hugely crippling I frequently completely lose the plot internally yet am able to remember to take my meds and to maintain necessary perspective to avoid a banning, if I can do it so can he.

This, brotha, is a tough row to hoe. You do a good job of hoeing it all the same, so far as I can see. Be well, as well as you can be.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • adey67, Dom, skyking

The history of cult victims suggests that what will happen is that as more of the normal world cuts him out of it he will sink deeper into the cult.

This worries me.  Before someone can be helped they have to want help.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Deesse23

Yeah, and I'm King Isildur.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(05-17-2021, 06:31 PM)adey67 Wrote: ...the fact that you're still here is absolute proof that we have a far greater respect for free speech thought and contest of ideas than you or any of your contemporaries will ever have.

Oh, perhaps you're right. Sorry.
I might be mistaken.
I thought Link just got banned.
If he didn't then I'm gonna give you a 'like' and a +Rep for defending Link's right to post here.

(05-17-2021, 01:33 PM)Dom Wrote: ...And SYZ, no, I am not into punishing people for having mental issues. I am more into protection and treatment. It's not his fault.

Please don't put words in my mouth Dom.  I have never once mentioned medication
in regard to Link.  Nor have I ever suggested that you've "punished" him for having a
mental illness.  (Presumably that was somebody else here?)

As you know (I've talked about it enough) I too have been undergoing psychotherapy
and taking medication for more than 20 years now—so I know all about the illnesses'
cause and effects.  I suffer from depression, anxiety, hyper-vigilance, and a circadian
rhythm disorder, which entails me taking 6 tablets every day.  And I've never thought
of ceasing taking any of those meds—they're what keeps me on an even keel.

I'm also fed up—and surprised—by all the excuses people are making for Link re his alleged
"mental illness" and his "apparent" cessation of his medication.  If he's in reality that
seriously affected, then he should be permanently banned, as his interminable and willfully
confrontational comments about his personal religion, and our atheism, is untenable.

In this thread, I described him as a "moronic arsewipe".  Which I'm not afraid to now
do again.      Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.