Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Do you like driving?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
42.31%
11 42.31%
Don’t mind it
23.08%
6 23.08%
No
34.62%
9 34.62%
Never learned
0%
0 0%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you like driving?

Do you like driving?
I don’t love driving.  I do it when it’s necessary but would rather walk or ride my bike places.  How about you?
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Phaedrus, Antonio

Do you like driving?
I do it when necessary.

At my age, "necessary" is defined as anything more than a block.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Bcat, Antonio

Do you like driving?
I've driven from Indiana to San Diego because I want to see the US again.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo, skyking

Do you like driving?
I love driving. But I don't own a car.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
Nope.  My car is always trying to kill me
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Bcat, Antonio

Do you like driving?
(05-14-2021, 10:45 PM)julep Wrote: Nope.  My car is always trying to kill me

Loose nut behind the steering wheel? Winking Chuckle
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • julep, Bcat, Antonio

Do you like driving?
I used to love it, now I don't. The country roads I drive regularly are somewhat enjoyable because of the scenery, but freeway driving is annoying and I avoid it, and I haven't driven in a city in years.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, Antonio

Do you like driving?
We roll through Missouri Wine Country, stopping at any excuse. Fall is just nuts around here.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat, skyking

Do you like driving?
(05-14-2021, 11:03 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 10:45 PM)julep Wrote: Nope.  My car is always trying to kill me

Loose nut behind the steering wheel?  Winking  Chuckle

definitely a contributing factor.  Also my transmission is shot and my brakes occasionally go on strike.  have to wait til the parts can arrive from Dallas to fix it...
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • Bcat, Gawdzilla Sama, Antonio

Do you like driving?
I don't like driving, anymore. I used to ride my motorcycle, and cars with tricked out suspensions at crazy speeds on mountain roads and freeways. But after ~25 years of commuting 94+ miles a day to work and back before retiring, I'm over it. That commute just sucked the life right out of any driving enjoyment. One of my sons even claims that I have "traffic PTSD".  Panic
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Bcat, Gawdzilla Sama, Antonio

Do you like driving?
Yeah, I no longer like long drives. I used to drive the 200 miles to Duluth regularly without a second thought. I would drive up every week when I was dating someone up there.

Somewhere along the way, I lost my patience for such drives.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
I don't mind it if traffic is light.
I rode in a Tesla last week. Now that was fun. It prettty much drove itself.
Test
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Bcat, Alan V, Dancefortwo, Antonio

Do you like driving?
No good answer in the poll. Other/depends:

Rush hour sitting in traffic? No.

Toolin' 'round town running errands? Meh.

Me, my Triumph Spitfire and a winding mountain road? Oh, hell yeah!

Road trips with buddies and maybe some 420 gets an honorable mention. Big Grin

Driving is like most anything else. A lot of why you enjoy/don't enjoy it is wrapped up in how/why you're doing it.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 4 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, Bcat, Antonio

Do you like driving?
I'm 45. I trained in my early 20's at a rehab hospital here. It was absolutely anxiety-inducing. And throughout my life, including now, I have suffered from depression and anxiety, so I can't say I've been longing to complete that driver's license. I think it's that plus some neurological issues that conspire to prevent me from getting a license.

I do like cars---especially historic ones from the 80's---but I'd kill a person with my luck (I know two others who have caused fatal accidents, and not with alcohol in their systems). I'd be devastated at killing a cat, tbh.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 3 users Like c172's post:
  • Bcat, skyking, Antonio

Do you like driving?
Poll needs an "it depends" option.

If I'm working Interstate-10 through LA, no, I don't like driving; ditto for downtown Austin or other major hub.

If I'm on a back-country road with a good CD playing, hell yes, I like a good drive.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, Bcat, TheGentlemanBastard, Fireball, Antonio

Do you like driving?
(05-15-2021, 01:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Poll needs an "it depends" option.

If I'm working Interstate-10 through LA, no, I don't like driving; ditto for downtown Austin or other major hub.

If I'm on a back-country road with a good CD playing, hell yes, I like a good drive.

I DO sometimes think about taking my little Kia jellybean up and around Little Tujunga Canyon from the Santa Clarita Valley into Sylmar, or Bouquet Canyon Road from Santa Clarita all the way to Quartz Hill. I'd be a bit slower these days, both because I'm older and the people on Bouquet Canyon Road road have been known to shoot at the passers by. No call for that, even if they are driving it like I did back in the '70s. None of them died in the crashes my acquaintances died in, as they live there 30+ years later. Crazy Days, is all I can say.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

Do you like driving?
I DESPISE driving. It seems a waste of time and dangerous. There are idiots on the roads. I'm a defensive driver. Not to say I drive all slow or annoy other drivers (a former friend who drove taxis in NYC told me I was a "very good" driver), but I spend a lot of mental energy being aware of the cars around me. It's exhausting. After an hour driving, I am all worn out.

I want a Star Trek teleportation device! Or telebooths as suggested by some writers. Walk into your closet, arrive at your destination 500 miles away immediately.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Bcat, Fireball, Antonio

Do you like driving?
Does bicycle count? If so then I don't like driving.
Behavior of car drivers here would make even brave Spartans quail and sidewalks are always stuffed.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • c172, Bcat, Antonio

Do you like driving?
Yes i do. It puts me (particularly on the Autobahn) in a state of meditation (when i am not caught in a traffic jam or driving inside a city center).
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
With my road anxiety, it's a strong No from me.

The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • SYZ, Bcat, Antonio

Do you like driving?
(05-15-2021, 02:49 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I DESPISE driving.  It seems a waste of time and dangerous.  There are idiots on the roads.  I'm a defensive driver.  Not to say I drive all slow or annoy other drivers (a former friend who drove taxis in NYC told me I was a "very good" driver), but I spend a lot of mental energy being aware of the cars around me.  It's exhausting.  After an hour driving, I am all worn out.

I want a Star Trek teleportation device!  Or telebooths as suggested by some writers.  Walk into your closet, arrive at your destination 500 miles away immediately.

The day will come when humans will marvel that "they" used to zoom around in their little death traps, playing the odds that others are not ill, (physically, mentally, not having a stroke, a heart attack, not having a diabetic problem of one sort or other, not drunk, not texting, not paying attention), that their vehicles were not mechanically about to fall apart. I can't count the number of people brought into the ER, having been t-boned by a truck of one sort or another, at highway speeds. Then they spend 2 months in the hospital, in ICU and the trauma units, if they even survive, and are never the same again.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Bcat, Cavebear

Do you like driving?
I got in a fey mood once and drove the Alpine region of Arizona at speed well beyond those recommended for a 1986 Impala. My team mate threw up when we finally stopped at our destination.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
I enjoy driving, especially in the country, away from city traffic. Unfortunately, it's another one of life's pleasure which I'm enjoying less frequently these days on account of advancing age. My favorite day trip was my annual drive to Pennsylvania to buy fireworks. My last trip was three years ago. It was a bit of a strain and I probably won't be taking any more.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Bcat, Deesse23

Do you like driving?
Driving? Yes.
Other drivers? Absolutely not.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Bcat, Deesse23, Antonio

Do you like driving?
I don't mind short drives in town. I dislike being on the highway though.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Bcat