Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stacey Abrams says she ‘absolutely’ plans to run for president

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...reddit.com

Quote:Many Democrats have already credited voting rights activist Stacey Abrams for helping the party get a landmark win in Georgia during the 2020 election, and now Ms Abrams has her sights on an even bigger victory than flipping a reliably red state: she says she “absolutely” wants to run for president one day.

"Do I hold it as an ambition? Absolutely," she told CBS Sunday Morning, in an interview airing tomorrow. "And even more importantly, when someone asks me if that’s my ambition, I have a responsibility to say ‘Yes,’ for every young woman, every person of color, who sees me and decides what they’re capable of based on what I think I am capable of."

"It’s about, you cannot have those things you refuse to dream of," she added.

She also slammed Republicans for pushing what she called a “big lie” about voter fraud, an essentially non-existent phenomenon, to enact new voting restrictions that end up disenfranchising people of colour, which she said was a tacit endorsement of those who stormed the Capitol to overturn the legitimate election results.

“They’ve had the luxury of not having to think about it,” she said. “They have had the luxury of simply seeing voting laws as ways to win, but when you’ve experienced those or when you’ve had to fight against those, or when you’ve given it more than a few moments thought, when you strip away the hyperbole or the pretences and you go to the direct connective tissue of it, absolutely, that’ what’s being said. In every state capitol where they use the big lie to justify that behaviour.”

Thumbs Up
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • RobbyPants

She's right: this wave of voter-restriction laws is a direct result of her turnout efforts in Georgia giving us a tied Senate, so state houses controlled by Republicans -- including here in Texas -- are acting on measures designed to reduce minority turnout.

I don't know that I'd vote for her, but I respect her work on turnout.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, epronovost, RobbyPants

I'd vote for her.  As long as she was running against some asshole republiKKKunt....which seems to be all of them.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(05-09-2021, 03:56 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I'd vote for her.  As long as she was running against some asshole republiKKKunt....which seems to be all of them.

Good for her. But she probably doesn't have a chance of winning. She needs more national experience.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

You mean.... like Fuckface had "national experience?"

We are in a new world.  The other side will put up a showman to rile up their moron base.

(05-09-2021, 05:01 AM)Minimalist Wrote: You mean.... like Fuckface had "national experience?"

We are in a new world.  The other side will put up a showman to rile up their moron base.

Yeah, I get your point. But Trump was a horrible learning experience. I hope we don't make THAT mistake again. Just saying she is likely to be a good future candidate, but not next year.

Quote: But Trump was a horrible learning experience.

Mon Ami,  you know that and I know that but do you think these dickheads know it?

[Image: b98995acd486c44922eb93aba525920b.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-09-2021, 05:18 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: But Trump was a horrible learning experience.

Mon Ami,  you know that and I know that but do you think these dickheads know it?

[Image: b98995acd486c44922eb93aba525920b.jpg]

Your choice of language sometimes makes responses difficult. I hesitate to quote you. But yeah, Trump supporters are irrational crazed idiots and my fondest hope is that they crawl back under the rocks they emerged from in 2016. Failing that, just keep beating them in elections until they all go squirrelified and stop voting again.

I find it depressing that the GOP prefers to restrict the ability of minorities and poor people to vote instead of making the smallest effort to present policies that those groups could actually support. If you need to cheat to win, you don't deserve to win.
The following 7 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Cavebear, GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, Minimalist, trdsf, isbelldl

(05-09-2021, 06:23 AM)epronovost Wrote: I find it depressing that the GOP prefers to restrict the ability of minorities and poor people to vote instead of making the smallest effort to present policies that those groups could actually support. If you need to cheat to win, you don't deserve to win.

Total agreement on THAT! I find it difficult to conceive of repressing voting in a democracy as being part of any political party's agenda. The basic idea seems to be anti-democracy. If you can't win enough votes to support your views in an election, you might want to reconsider your views.

But in a way, I understand (without approval). If you want power and voters won't grant it to you by votes, you want to take it in other ways. In SOME nations, minor authoritatian parties like democracy. They get to compete. The problem is that they think if they win, it is "one election one time, and you chose us". End of elections.

The Republican Party is (horribly and sadly) headed in that direction. They are no longer competing for voters who agree with their ideas; they are trying to eliminate voting from people who disagree with them. This is not any version of a democracy I understand. For now, I am a compete and dedicated opponent of the Republican Party.

Yes, "If you need to cheat to win, you don't deserve to win."
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • tomilay

(05-09-2021, 04:39 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 03:56 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I'd vote for her.  As long as she was running against some asshole republiKKKunt....which seems to be all of them.

Good for her.  But she probably doesn't have a chance of winning.  She needs more national experience.

Dunno about that.   Abrams has more than a decade of political experience—firstly in 2002, she was appointed
a deputy city attorney for the City of Atlanta. Then in the Georgia House of Representatives from 2007 to 2017
and also as minority leader from 2011 to 2017.   She was also largely responsible for Georgia flipping in 2020.

Real estate salesman, game show host, university dropout, and draft-dodger Donald Trump had ZERO political
accreditation when he bullshitted his way into the White House by sucking in the bottom-dwellers of the Republican
party and its supporters.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-09-2021, 09:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 04:39 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

Good for her.  But she probably doesn't have a chance of winning.  She needs more national experience.

Dunno about that.   Abrams has more than a decade of political experience—firstly in 2002, she was appointed
a deputy city attorney for the City of Atlanta. Then in the Georgia House of Representatives from 2007 to 2017
and also as minority leader from 2011 to 2017.   She was also largely responsible for Georgia flipping in 2020.

Real estate salesman, game show host, university dropout, and draft-dodger Donald Trump had ZERO political
accreditation when he bullshitted his way into the White House by sucking in the bottom-dwellers of the Republican
party and its supporters.

That's more a Republican/Democrat difference than an experience one. Republicans want to get hot under the waistline and Democrats want to get excited above the neck...

(05-09-2021, 06:23 AM)epronovost Wrote: I find it depressing that the GOP prefers to restrict the ability of minorities and poor people to vote instead of making the smallest effort to present policies that those groups could actually support. If you need to cheat to win, you don't deserve to win.

Well said, Epy.  But they have heard the demographic studies which indicate that whites in this country are inevitably going to become the minority due to declining birth rates.  They well understand how they have treated minorities and it scares the piss out of them to think that the shoe will be on the other foot.  We saw Obama's election as a sign that the country was finally maturing.  They saw it as a call to arms.