Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New book proves conclusively that the Bible is not the word of a god

(05-06-2021, 05:54 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 05:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I've been an atheist for forty years, and discovered on my own enough arguments to lose my faith. The Four Horsemen didn't bring anything new to the table, for me. I don't need yet another book to tell me that there are serious problems with religious fables.

But how are they gonna become the next Dawkins if you don't buy their book?  Tongue

Stevie Ray Vaughan's been copied to death, too. Big Grin

Maybe OP will return to talk about some of his ideas and show why folks should buy his book.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Attreau's book is fairly "ignorant' / "pop" literature.
It certainly contains no insights into ancient Near Eastern literature that we didn't already know, and in fact, makes all the same
"pop" errors writers about this lierature most often make, (ie the role of mythology in ancient cultures .. mythology as defined by Rudolph Bultmann).
That part of the book is dismissed as 3rd Grade crap.
Theists believe in a god, and only some of them in a book. At least 1/2 of them think that their book gets to be "interpreted" by their clergy.
Biblical fundamentalism is not the majority view of Christians.

The bullshit of "the man who solved the mystery of the universe" is interesting.
How is it that the strong nuclear force is the Grand Unification Theory ?
Seems Attreau doen't even seem to know what the mystery is.
Unless he can name in detail what it was that was "densly" (packed) in the instant of the Big Bang, he's solved nothing.
Yeah. Don't waste your money.
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Inkubus, skyking, Paleophyte

(05-06-2021, 12:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We have, we do, we will. But  you can't break the rules of the house you're in. Participate and build your credibility.

I have no problem with the way I've been treated by the overseers of this forum. It's just that being new, I'm not familiar with the rules of this forum.
The following 3 users Like atheist 101's post:
  • Aliza, GenesisNemesis, Dom

(05-06-2021, 09:45 PM)atheist 101 Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We have, we do, we will. But  you can't break the rules of the house you're in. Participate and build your credibility.

I have no problem with the way I've been treated by the overseers of this forum. It's just that being new, I'm not familiar with the rules of this forum.

Also just so you're aware what annoyed some of us (like me) was you didn't even make an attempt to get to know us or get us to know you first. You just went right to advertising. This is not an advertising site.  Tongue
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(05-06-2021, 09:45 PM)atheist 101 Wrote: I have no problem with the way I've been treated by the overseers of this forum. It's just that being new, I'm not familiar with the rules of this forum.

Looking forward to your introductory post, then. We're about interaction rather than marketing here.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

(05-05-2021, 09:53 PM)atheist 101 Wrote: The best way for Atheists to defend themselves from the incessant and insidious attacks on them by Christians is by debunking their religion. And the best way to do that is by proving that the Bible is not the word of a god. That's exactly what THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR ANYONE STILL BELIEVING THE HOLY BIBLE does. It proves conclusively and beyond any shadow of doubt that the Bible is not the word of a god. It makes anyone who still believes it is look like a fool. It also takes on and debunks all of the major arguments being bantered about by creationists. And lastly, its author offers a very credible explanation for how the universe got here and what's going to happen to it. All Atheists should at least be aware of this book whether they want to read it or not: <link removed>

Atheists don't need a book to know that the bible is not the word of any god.

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 4 users Like Free's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, SYZ

Firstly, g'day mate, and welcome to the forum.       Sun

(05-05-2021, 09:53 PM)atheist 101 Wrote: The best way for Atheists to defend themselves from the incessant and insidious attacks on them by Christians is by debunking their religion.

As a lifelong atheist, I have never found any need to "defend" myself from "attacks" by theists.
And what's more, I've never bothered attacking any theists' personal religious beliefs.  You're angered
that they're allegedly attacking you, but at the same time saying you're  happy to attack them.
Where's the logic in that?   And why are you so angry?

Quote:And the best way to do that is by proving that the Bible is not the word of a god.

No mate... that's not  the way to disprove their beliefs in supernatural entities and paranormal
phenomena. At any rate, what sort of empirical evidence are you gonna hit them with?  Do you
have absolute proof—for example—that Moses' parting of the Sea of Reeds (not the Red Sea)
never happened?

An atmospheric event—specifically in the Red Sea locale—could've actually caused the parting of a
body of water, so much so that a bridge or pathway of dry land is revealed that could be crossed
by a group of people.

An atmospheric phenomenon describes a coastal effect called a “wind setdown,” in which strong
winds—a little over 60 miles per hour—create a "push" on coastal water which, in one location,
creates a storm surge. But in the location from which the wind pushes—in this case, the east—the
water moves away. Such occurrences have been observed in the past in Lake Erie, among other
places, and also in the Nile Delta.  I've seen it myself here in Australia, within a 50km long lake
in Western Australia known as Lake Lefroy.  With a continuous, strong westerly wind blowing, the
water is "pushed" to one edge of the lake, exposing the lake-bed on the opposite side.

Quote:That's exactly what "There's No Excuse For Anyone Still Believing The Holy Bible"  does. It proves
conclusively and beyond any shadow of doubt that the Bible is not the word of a god.

Briefly, in what ways?  What makes the book's conclusions "beyond doubt"?

Quote:It makes anyone who still believes it is look like a fool.

Does that include eminent theist scientists?  Max Planck, Freeman Dyson, Brian Heap, or Francis Collins?

Quote:And lastly, its author offers a very credible explanation for how the universe got here and what's going to happen to it.

I've never heard of author Jesse Attreau, nor could I find his biography or qualifications.  In fact no
search could even find any mention of his name on any site globally.  Can you please give us some
information on Attreau?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(05-07-2021, 09:17 AM)SYZ Wrote: ...An atmospheric event—specifically in the Red Sea locale—could've actually caused the parting of a
body of water, so much so that a bridge or pathway of dry land is revealed that could be crossed
by a group of people...

The average depth of the Red Sea is 700m.

Quote:I've never heard of author Jesse Attreau, nor could I find his biography or qualifications.  In fact no
search could even find any mention of his name on any site globally.  Can you please give us some
information on Attreau?

Jesse Attreau There's a few here but it may be a regional thing.

(05-06-2021, 11:36 PM)Free Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 09:53 PM)atheist 101 Wrote: The best way for Atheists to defend themselves from the incessant and insidious attacks on them by Christians is by debunking their religion. And the best way to do that is by proving that the Bible is not the word of a god. That's exactly what THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR ANYONE STILL BELIEVING THE HOLY BIBLE does. It proves conclusively and beyond any shadow of doubt that the Bible is not the word of a god. It makes anyone who still believes it is look like a fool. It also takes on and debunks all of the major arguments being bantered about by creationists. And lastly, its author offers a very credible explanation for how the universe got here and what's going to happen to it. All Atheists should at least be aware of this book whether they want to read it or not: <link removed>

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Maybe not, but the American public most definitely does. The God Delusion and God Is Not Great were both truly great books, I'd recommend both in a heartbeat. But they achieved nothing when it comes to dealing with Christianity in the United States or the movement behind it. For instance, since those books came out, the number of Christians on the Supreme Court has grown exponentially.
The following 1 user Likes atheist 101's post:
  • Dom

(05-06-2021, 05:05 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 04:58 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:14 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Well, they weren't so much camel jockey's as they were goat herders.  Probably had a few chickens.  No pigs though.  I have a couple of Jewish friends who eat bacon and all sorts of pork products but they are not practicing Jews.  My very funny Jewish friend, Sandy Jo, said she wanted nothing to do with any religion that banned pork.   She said this while eating a sausage laiden pizza.

Camel-jockey is a category, not a religion.

Sure. 

I wonder what camel tastes like?

Spiders:

[Image: fake-camel-spider-500x500.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(05-06-2021, 09:45 PM)atheist 101 Wrote:

I've had endless cases of foot-in-mouth disease. Good to see you're taking all this in your stride. Welcome.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(05-07-2021, 12:10 PM)atheist 101 Wrote:

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Maybe not, but the American public most definitely does. The God Delusion and God Is Not Great were both truly great books, I'd recommend both in a heartbeat. But they achieved nothing when it comes to dealing with Christianity in the United States or the movement behind it. For instance, since those books came out, the number of Christians on the Supreme Court has grown exponentially.

The US Supreme Court is a tiny unrepresentative sample of the US.
Religion is falling in the US.
https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u...apid-pace/

The thing is, your arrogance is really rather off-putting.
You really think it's up to you to decide what people need to read and how they need to think ?
I thought the two books mentioned were OK, but could have been a lot better, had they included information the authors left out.
What exactly are you talking about ? What is the "movement behind" Christianity in the US, and how is it you have determined that a group of beliefs which has at least 33,000 demoninations are somehow united with *a* movement behind them ?

Which of the various forms of atheism (and igtheism) would be acceptable to you ?
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • SYZ

Having proofs that religious beliefs are in error is at least useful, if nothing else. Such knowledge is especially useful when Dominionists in the state legislature start codifying their beliefs into law, or religiously inclined judges rule based upon a supposed equivalence between religious and secular belief. To say that you don't need something is a value judgment more than anything else, in that its utility to you is not essential. I don't need $1,000, as I'm perfectly capable of buying the things I want without it. That's not the same as saying that someone giving me $1,000 wouldn't be viewed as a good thing.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Dom

(05-07-2021, 02:12 PM)Dānu Wrote: Having proofs that religious beliefs are in error is at least useful, if nothing else.  Such knowledge is especially useful when Dominionists in the state legislature start codifying their beliefs into law, or religiously inclined judges rule based upon a supposed equivalence between religious and secular belief.  To say that you don't need something is a value judgment more than anything else, in that its utility to you is not essential.  I don't need $1,000, as I'm perfectly capable of buying the things I want without it.  That's not the same as saying that someone giving me $1,000 wouldn't be viewed as a good thing.

OP was claiming that we need to read their book, though. They didn't even make an argument as to why we need to either. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(05-07-2021, 04:31 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 02:12 PM)Dānu Wrote: Having proofs that religious beliefs are in error is at least useful, if nothing else.  Such knowledge is especially useful when Dominionists in the state legislature start codifying their beliefs into law, or religiously inclined judges rule based upon a supposed equivalence between religious and secular belief.  To say that you don't need something is a value judgment more than anything else, in that its utility to you is not essential.  I don't need $1,000, as I'm perfectly capable of buying the things I want without it.  That's not the same as saying that someone giving me $1,000 wouldn't be viewed as a good thing.

OP was claiming that we need to read their book, though. They didn't even make an argument as to why we need to either. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Actually, he claimed that people need a book if they want to know that the bible is not the word of God. Arguably that's true, though not necessarily his book.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

He should be promoting his book on Christian websites.  

Christians are the ones who’d benefit from reading it.  

Not much genuine engagement so far, just extra arguments for why we should buy his book.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

How not to promote a book:
1.) See all of A101's posts in this tread.
2.) ...
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, julep

(05-07-2021, 12:10 PM)atheist 101 Wrote:

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

There's no "maybe" about it. We simply don't require any literature at all because we are already "atheists."

You need to promote your ideas on religious sites, not to us.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • SYZ

Disregarding the stuff about book promo, local house atheists not wanting to be told what they should/must read, etc. I think @atheist 101 's basic premiss is right.

It's a strong counter-apologetic IF you can irrefutably/persuasively break the nexus between the text itself and the theophany which gave rise to the text.

The problem is that personal theistic/religious experience separate from and outside the bible, corroborates what the bible asserts - namely, that people can and do have sensory experience (evidence) of the real presence of divinity.

There is no evidence that "a theophany" gave rise to any of the many and disparate texts that ended up in the Bible, ("ta biblia") ... the books.
Yahweh was appropriated from the Babylonian pantheon. Virtually EVERY ancient Near Eastern culture believed in the gods. Picking one over the other, (both of which were believed in)
does not constitute a "theophany". It was a decision made in self-interest. Yahweh was the war god. They wanted help in their battles.
We know where the texts came from. We know that Hebrew culture was a polymorphic monotheism ... they believed in many gods. Yahweh had a wife.
We know that Archaeology has pretty much destroyed the "historical" value of the OT.

Human beings have all sorts of sensory experiences which they interpret in various ways.
There is no problem at all. We can watch on MRI scans and PET scans the various areas of the brain
light up which are known to be associated with religious concepts. The sensory interpretation in no way demonstrates a divinity.
It's nothing but misinterpretation. The SAME chemical reactions in the neurochemical system are activated. Nothing more.
There is no evidence of any divinity, and until there is, the divine interpretation is bogus.
That's the thing. Religious people do not have any unique experiences, that other humans do not have.
The same experiences are available to anyone, (meditation) drugs, etc.

But the thing is Lion, you deomonstrated your ignorance here of the highest mystical levels of your own cult, in which saints like John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, the Desert Fathers, Mother Teresa, etc etc complain about the fact that they get nothing in terms of emotional "satisfaction" from their Christain god and/or their faith ... oh wait, ... you never read the Dark Night of the Soul, or the Interior Castle, ... you know the classics of Christain writing. Never mind.

There are no experiences that can be said to specifically validate any text from 2500 years ago.

You said you were here to preach only if someone asked, Lion. Did anyone ask ?
No.
You people can't help youeselves.
This is a community of atheists. No one here cares about your religious rubbish.

You seem not to have read your St. Paul. There is no way to reason your way to faith.
"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God,
it is not from works, so that no-one may boast." We can't help it if your deity is capricious. We didn't get the curse gift. Thank dog.
After all this time, you're still wasting your time at this.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Free, GenesisNemesis

Quote:For instance, since those books came out, the number of Christians on the Supreme Court has grown exponentially.

The number of catholicks has grown.  I know a lot of jesus freak assholes who are not thrilled with that.  They are still living in the 17th century.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(05-07-2021, 11:04 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: , local house atheists

"Local house atheists", you mean regulars. There are regulars on forums, you know. Including atheist forums. That's how that works. I'm already detecting condescension from you as well.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

(05-07-2021, 11:04 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: The problem is that personal theistic/religious experience separate from and outside the bible, corroborates what the bible asserts - namely, that people can and do have sensory experience (evidence) of the real presence of divinity.

Anecdotes aren't evidence. Evidence consists of material facts that can be reviewed by third-parties. "Joe Blow said he felt God's presence" is not evidence of anything outside of Joe Blow making a claim about personal feelings.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom, Szuchow

I'm getting a subtle vibe that GN doesn't like this dude... Consider Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(05-08-2021, 01:08 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I'm getting a subtle vibe that GN doesn't like this dude... Consider Big Grin

I thought he might find this forum at some point. I didn't give him any hints either.  hobo