Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Isn't Only The Arabs Who Gather At Tombs of Old Dead Assholes

It Isn't Only The Arabs Who Gather At Tombs of Old Dead Assholes
(05-04-2021, 02:55 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 03:38 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 02:45 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Agreed.  Asking for objective evidence of an action causing an emotion seems unnecessary, like asking for objective evidence that sports or music or sex really make people happy, or getting cheated on by your partner or having your face split open by a shovel really hurts.  I mean, humanity could just be pulling a fast one and has been faking this shit for the last several hundred thousand years.

Emotions can be studied scientifically.  MRIs work well to detect changes in emotion.

And I will add that there is a difference between "getting cheated on by your partner or having your face split open by a shovel".  One hurts more.

Dom already explained that regarding dopamine.  I was adding that that level of investigation isn't needed unless you are willing to believe there are no causes for any emotions.

Well, first, I thought you might ask about "which one hurts more" as an opening to discussions of emotions vs physical pains. But that's OK, it wasn't obvious.

But 2nd, yes, I do understand the role chemistry plays in our minds. I think that we humans are mostly chemical/biological organisms that have less control over ourselves than we realize. I like to think I have free will, for example, but some studies suggest I have less than I wish. Other studies tell me that most of me is not actually "me" but rather bacteria and viruses cooperating to make a good host for themselves. And that means, if you want to get deep into the weeds, we all may be less in control of our thoughts and actions than we think.

Our brains may just be specialized organs evolved only for the purpose of managing our non-human biologic community and walking around. And self-awareness may just be an accidental outcome. I'll leave that to future research.

I don't want to get deep into a discussion of all that, because, quite frankly, I'm not qualified to. Understanding concepts is one thing; arguing the details is another. Have a nice day.
Atheist born and when I die, still an atheist...