Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas on the Rise...and Sinking

Sinkholes from removal of oil, bumps from pumping in CO2. Might be a good time to leave, depending on where one is.

http://www.geologyin.com/2018/03/massive...aving.html
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, TheGentlemanBastard

I have an irrational fear of sinkholes. Sometimes just randomly imagine one opening up where I'm standing. You can thank me for this intrusive thought later. Big Grin
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Fireball

(04-10-2021, 02:45 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I have an irrational fear of sinkholes. Sometimes just randomly imagine one opening up where I'm standing. You can thank me for this intrusive thought later. Big Grin

I live far enough from the ocean that a tsunami would likely miss me due to not being able to flow over the mountains. I live centrally enough in my city that wildfire is not a considerable hazard (now that essentially no one has a shake roof, which was the case when this burg was built) and I'm not in a flood zone. This house has also survived the Sylmar and Northridge earthquakes. It's pretty much bedrock around here, and if you dig around, the ground is pretty much hardened clay. No sinkholes, no oil fields. Now, if it wasn't 117º sometimes in the shade in the summer, it's be a better place to live.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Unsapien

(04-10-2021, 01:27 AM)Fireball Wrote: Sinkholes from removal of oil, bumps from pumping in CO2. Might be a good time to leave, depending on where one is.

Nothing to see here folks. Just some left-wing propaganda/fake news. Frakking is perfectly safe and global warming is a myth. Sinkholes? Those are faked up. Nothing but the Democrats using Chinese tunnel boring machines to make the petroleum industry look bad! [/sarcasm]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(04-10-2021, 07:32 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 01:27 AM)Fireball Wrote: Sinkholes from removal of oil, bumps from pumping in CO2. Might be a good time to leave, depending on where one is.

Nothing to see here folks. Just some left-wing propaganda/fake news. Frakking is perfectly safe and global warming is a myth. Sinkholes? Those are faked up. Nothing but the Democrats using Chinese tunnel boring machines to make the petroleum industry look bad! [/sarcasm]

Nope, but that site looks dodgy as all hell. Here's the original publication:

Kim, JW., Lu, Z. Association between localized geohazards in West Texas and human activities, recognized by Sentinel-1A/B satellite radar imagery. Sci Rep 8, 4727 (2018).

It's about 3 years old and it looks like some cranks gussied it up for their clickbait. The lack of context on the alarmist cover image was the tip-off.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Dom, jerry mcmasters