Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Easter Everybody!!!

Fun Facts about Easter!  Didja know...

...that on this very day a long long time ago our lord and savior Jesus Christ rose from the freaking dead?  Dude was fucking dead and then, hello!

...zombies wandered through the streets of Jerusalem.  Not like in a movie but the real shit!

...there were no bunny rabbits or hidden Easter eggs back then.  That actually came later.

...some of his friends didn't believe it was really him so he was like "No seriously it's me here stick your finger in the hole" and then he had to say "Hey watch it! No, dummy, this hole!"
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Astreja

I shall make some deviled eggs today. Not going to bother to color the shells before cracking them. The devil and easter get along very well since the introduction of easter eggs.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

It's an excuse to travel and see the family. And you guys think I'm right wing...I'm the bleeding heart lib of the family.

Try again next month. We march to our own beat and calendar around here.

[Image: 15fcfe0a05e04f858402bc9fe3e92c6e.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Deesse23, Dancefortwo

Also, my beautiful, beautiful eggs what I painted my last year in Brazil.

[Image: 59064630_2164292323664359_58191081025149...e=608F3FEE]

[Image: 58442087_2164292486997676_61582911445779...e=6090D118]

Both the papaya tree and me ain't there no more.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
  • Dancefortwo, Aliza

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...-symbolism

Quote:The pagan roots of Easter

Easter is a pagan festival. If Easter isn't really about Jesus, then what is it about? Today, we see a secular culture celebrating the spring equinox, whilst religious culture celebrates the resurrection. However, early Christianity made a pragmatic acceptance of ancient pagan practises, most of which we enjoy today at Easter. The general symbolic story of the death of the son (sun) on a cross (the constellation of the Southern Cross) and his rebirth, overcoming the powers of darkness, was a well worn story in the ancient world. There were plenty of parallel, rival resurrected saviours too.

Just one more thing stolen by the jesus freaks to pump up their godboy.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Just been another day to my family for a long time now.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

My mother was a very funny no nonsense women.   A lot of people were reminded of Bea Author in Maude when they met my mother.  She would see stupidity and give this look of "What the actual fuck are you doing?" without saying a word.  She was one of the great characters.

Anyway, she found coloring easter eggs and easter baskets a meaningless waste of time. She was more interested in writing poetry,  her oil paintings and reading books than making fru-fru easter stuff.  We also lived out in the forest so there was no peer pressure to do easter stuff and I had never heard of Jesus anyway so it didn't matter.   I didn't experienced an easter egg hunt until I was newly married.  My husband, the lapsed Catholic, felt very sorry for me when he found out about my easter deficit so the first year of our marriage he staged an easter egg hunt ......JUST FOR LITTLE OL MEGirl_yes2

It was fun silly newlywed activity and I appreciated the gesture but there were too many eggs left over.  I got sick of eating egg salad and deviled eggs and threw a most of them in the garbage.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, Vera, c172

(04-04-2021, 02:39 PM)Vera Wrote: Also, my beautiful, beautiful eggs what I painted my last year in Brazil.

Forget the eggs, what is that bizarre plant with the big spikes coming out of it??  And it has some sort of pear shaped fruit hanging off of it.  What the hell is that thing?
                                                         T4618

(04-04-2021, 03:49 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 02:39 PM)Vera Wrote: Also, my beautiful, beautiful eggs what I painted my last year in Brazil.

Forget the eggs, what is that bizarre plant with the big spikes coming out of it??  And it has some sort of pear shaped fruit hanging off of it.  What the hell is that thing?

Papaya. One of my faves.

(04-04-2021, 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 03:49 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Papaya. One of my faves.

Thanks.  I googled it.  Vera's photo looks like spikes are coming out of the trunk but it's branches of the tree.  The photo is too close to show the whole tree. I alwyas get papaya and mangos mixed up.
                                                         T4618

(04-04-2021, 03:49 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Forget the eggs, what is that bizarre plant with the big spikes coming out of it??  And it has some sort of pear shaped fruit hanging off of it.  What the hell is that thing?

Papaya, the most tasteless, useless thing I ever tried to eat. Tried to eat it as fruit, put it in a stir fry, roasted in the oven like a pumpkin and still couldn't quite finish it (same with starfruit and guava, tasteless beyond belief).

Now, jackfruit on the other hand, I still miss Drool

[Image: eatJackfruit-823672534-770x533-1.jpg]

(Looks weird and I didn't expect to like it (most local fruits were meh to me) but I loved it.)
  • Dānu, Dancefortwo

(04-04-2021, 04:03 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 03:49 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Forget the eggs, what is that bizarre plant with the big spikes coming out of it??  And it has some sort of pear shaped fruit hanging off of it.  What the hell is that thing?

Papaya. One of my faves.

Thanks.  I googled it.  Vera's photo looks like spikes are coming out of the trunk but it's branches of the tree.  The photo is too close to show the whole tree.  I alwyas get papaya and mangos mixed up.

One of my parrots loves Mangos, but he keeps calling them Papayas, because he finds that word such fun to say. By now he has me confused, too.  Big Grin

The Easter Bunny died for your sins, but that was last year.
He hid the Holy Eggs so at least one would grow and "rise from the dead" this year.
I think that's what the gospels say. Close enough.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The buyer of the Trinidad we were struggling to make airworthy enough to ferry brought his 6 year old son with him, and on a shopping trip for cheap shirts to use as coveralls we passed by an Easter display.  I wondered aloud how many kids thought rabbits laid eggs.  "Don't they?" said the 6 year old, surprised.  Tongue

(04-04-2021, 06:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: The Easter Bunny died for your sins, but that was last year.
He hid the Holy Eggs so at least one would grow and "rise from the dead" this year.
I think that's what the gospels say. Close enough.

There's some sort of bunny virus going around that is killing bunnies everywhere.  It's called "rabbit hemorrhagic disease" which sounds really horrible. Fortunately there's a vaccine for the virus but it's not available in very many places in the US.  Europe has been using the vaccine extensively because it's not expensive there the way  it is in the US.   Something to do with our health care system?   I don't know.  As if we don't have enough problems with the Covid virus now we have an awful bunny virus.  That really sucks.   

https://now.tufts.edu/articles/deadly-ra...spreads-us
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I like the Reeses Easter eggs.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(04-04-2021, 07:50 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I like the Reeses Easter eggs.

Yum
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I have some maple fudge, chocolate eggs and mint chocolate from a local purveyor of fine sweets.

And I'm about to start roasting a duck for supper tonight.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-04-2021, 02:39 PM)Vera Wrote: Both the papaya tree and me ain't there no more.
How on earth did you get the papaya tree on the plane with you?!
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Vera

(04-04-2021, 11:06 PM)mordant Wrote: How on earth did you get the papaya tree on the plane with you?!

I told them it was my emotional support tree Angel2

[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Inkubus, Dancefortwo

(04-04-2021, 07:50 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I like the Reeses Easter eggs.

I like peeps.  JK nobody likes peeps.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I just had a bunch of Ghirardelli chocolate bunnies. Tiny things, but good. I also usually get a Cadbury creme egg when I grocery shop (have it with my sushi and kettle chips). But, the thing is, I'm all stuck on Girl Scout cookies. Kind of forgot to explore the Easter candy this year. Very unlike me. I have a whole set of 32 sweet teeth.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Dancefortwo, jerry mcmasters

(04-05-2021, 04:01 AM)c172 Wrote: I just had a bunch of Ghirardelli chocolate bunnies. Tiny things, but good. I also usually get a Cadbury creme egg when I grocery shop (have it with my sushi and kettle chips). But, the thing is, I'm all stuck on Girl Scout cookies. Kind of forgot to explore the Easter candy this year. Very unlike me. I have a whole set of 32 sweet teeth.

Wish they would lower the price on those damn things.  I would buy tons more if they were cheaper.  I keep screaming that at the little girls outside the grocery store selling them, but they obviously don't fucking listen. No, they just cry.