Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Easter Everybody!!!

Let's just say that I pay no attention to Easter. It is probably the most "specific" religious holiday of the year for some. Worse than "christ-mass" in a way. At least that one tried to be attached to the Winter Solstice. To me, it mostly means I get surprised when some stores are closed.

There is an amusing story attached to Good Friday (and by extension, Easter). I was in the office one day and had the habit of getting a sub across the street. I like Italian cold cuts. I was eating it innocently when a co-worker came over shocked at my lunch. How could I eat a meat sandwich on such a holy day, he demanded! "Huh"? Oh rats, it was his Good Friday. I can never keep track of that nonsense. Easter always catches me by surprise.

When I told him "it wasn't my religion". he expressed surprise that I was "jewish". Well, I'm not that either; I'm not "anything". When I told him I was atheist, his jaw dropped. He said my children would go to Hell! Well, I don't have any, so that was not a concern. I should mention that it was an open office; everyone heard everything.

When he finally got done babbling about God and Jesus, he finally went back to his desk and I finished my lunch. It was an office of 20 telecommunications analysts. Later, 2 came by and said they thought he was an idiot (and no surprise that he was the worst analyst in the group). But the other 17 never said a word. That's about average. The ones who mentioned the surprise discussion were the smarter ones in the office. And I say that professionally. They were better as analysts.

To this day, I never really know when Easter is coming around. It wanders...
I thought up the BEST signature line ever, but then I woke up.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Dancefortwo

As a little kid I remember being disappointed that when scrambled eggs were made from Easter eggs, they didn't retain the colors.

I never really liked eggs anyway. Not sure why I'd care.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
-Carl Sagan

"The best counter to extremist speech is not censorship. The best counter is more speech." -Thumpalumpacus

You and me both Cavebear.   I never know when easter is until I see some easter candy in the stores and then I know it's coming up soon.   How soon, I don't know but the easter candy tells me it's sometime in the near future.    When I was about 12 and we lived in a less secluded area I'd hear my classmates talking going to easter service.   I'd been informed by another classmate a couple years before that Jesus was the son of a god.  I kinda put two and two together and figured it had something to do with this Jesus person being hung up on that stick thingy people wear around their necks.

One time my mother, whom I discussed earlier, was invited by my grandfather to attend a performance of Handel's Messiah being performed at easter and even though she wasn't interested she went just to be nice to her sweet father-in-law.  He was a lovely man and a free thinker (old fashioned word for atheist)  but he sang in church choirs because he had a great voice.   Anyway, Handel's Messiah is a loooooooooong ass piece of music and she'd only heard the famous passages from it so was unaware that it went on for a fucking loooooooooong time.  The pews were uncomfrotable and her butt started hurting.  Physically it was a miserable experience but she was happy to hear him sing.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Vera

(04-05-2021, 03:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: You and me both Cavebear.   I never know when easter is until I see some easter candy in the stores and then I know it's coming up soon.   How soon, I don't know but the easter candy tells me it's sometime in the near future.    When I was about 12 and we lived in a less secluded area I'd hear my classmates talking going to easter service.   I'd been informed by another classmate a couple years before that Jesus was the son of a god.  I kinda put two and two together and figured it had something to do with this Jesus person being hung up on that stick thingy people wear around their necks.

One time my mother, whom I discussed earlier, was invited by my grandfather to attend a performance of Handel's Messiah being performed at easter and even though she wasn't interested she went just to be nice to her sweet father-in-law.  He was a lovely man and a free thinker (old fashioned word for atheist)  but he sang in church choirs because he had a great voice.   Anyway, Handel's Messiah is a loooooooooong ass piece of music and she'd only heard the famous passages from it so was unaware that it went on for a fucking loooooooooong time.  The pews were uncomfrotable and her butt started hurting.  Physically it was a miserable experience but she was happy to hear him sing.

IMHO, Handel's Italian-language, secular operas are much better (everything goes to shit when it gets to England, apparently Tongue )

I have an especially soft spot for the opera Amadigi di Gaula, but this aria, on top of being gorgeous, rings especially true to my OCD-riddled brain.

"Oh, tyrant thoughts, give me just a moment of peace..."

No such luck, though, thanks a lot, brain Dodgy

This, from said Amadigi, is wonderfully lovely and cheerful.

“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?”