Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope Francis Rants About The Devil

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/545297...ay-service

Pope Francis reflected on the coronavirus during Palm Sunday services, where he said the devil is “taking advantage” of the pandemic.
“The Devil is taking advantage of the crisis to sow distrust, desperation and discord,” Francis said at St. Peter’s Basilica, which was almost empty because of coronavirus restrictions.

So, why does God allow this devil guy to run around the world doing that?  Perhaps Pope Francis could have a word with his buddy, God?  Get God to do something useful for a change?
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir, RobbyPants

Never forget that Pope Frankie is just a stupid old superstitious motherfucker wearing a dress!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • mordant, GenesisNemesis

You would think his handlers would know not to let him talk about an actual "Devil" in a literal way. Downright embarrassing.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • SYZ, RobbyPants

Some guy in a funny hat yammering about invisible demons comin' to take us all. Ye gods!
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

This moronic old prick needs to be put away.  That a (supposedly) mature adult can
really believe that a mythological entity is affecting the world's population is beyond
belief.  I can only assume that he's in the throes of onset dementia near age 85 years.

He doesn't even realise, LOL, that his allegedly all-powerful fantasy god is being beaten
by an even more powerful fantasy devil.      It's like an old Monty Python sketch.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

It would be so great and awesome if he, in addled old-aged dementia, just started going off and saying bat-shit crazy stuff. More crazy, I mean. "Pope declares war on Germany, demands all Catholics take off their clothes and run with the bulls in Pamplona."

If by devil he meant authoritarian governments then he is right. If not then he is full of shit, which is what I expect from head shaman.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Ranting about the Devil is nuttier than praying to God how? Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Fireball, Gwaithmir

Apparently at least the devil gets things done on occasion!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I don't know whether the Pope believes that bullshit or not (probably not), but he knows the sheeple believe it. it is a popular trope deployed to keep them tsk-tsking their way through life as the world burns down around their ears.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Minimalist

Some charitable soul should send that idiot a hand mirror inscribed "Tool For Spotting The Devil Anywhere Anytime"
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Fireball

Tim Minchin had the right idea, and it works for every pope.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(03-29-2021, 12:43 AM)SYZ Wrote: This moronic old prick needs to be put away.  That a (supposedly) mature adult can
really believe that a mythological entity is affecting the world's population is beyond
belief.  I can only assume that he's in the throes of onset dementia near age 85 years.

He doesn't even realise, LOL, that his allegedly all-powerful fantasy god is being beaten
by an even more powerful fantasy devil.      It's like an old Monty Python sketch.

Not so difficult to understand when you realize that most Catholics are brainwashed with this line of thinking when they're little kids. To them, the Pope's rant is nothing out of the ordinary.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • SYZ, mordant

(03-30-2021, 03:12 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Not so difficult to understand when you realize that most Catholics are brainwashed with this line of thinking when they're little kids. To them, the Pope's rant is nothing out of the ordinary.

Depends on where you look. In most parts of Europe, catholicism is fighting a losing battle and most, who still call themselves Catholics, aren't into that fire and brimstone stuff anymore and view their religion more as a tradition than anything else. Today, the Catholic church has it's strongest bases in Africa and Latin America, where they compete with evangelicals of all sorts.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I've been watching re-runs of Flip Wilson doing his "The devil made me do it routine."  I didn't realize how funny he was.   The Pope needs to lighten up and watch a little Flip Wilson doing Geraldine and stop getting all verklempt. 

Good gawd this man was funny!    Big Grin

T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, Dom

Why does god let the devil get away with it? Part of his plan I guess.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

(By the way, my brother who fucked up his life and became a Christian has actually expressed this view, that everything is part of god's plan, including things like rape). Fairly certain he believes Satan made him commit the crime he committed, too.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Dom

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda