Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Far Right follies (topical thread)

(07-04-2024, 01:32 AM)Alan V Wrote:
(07-04-2024, 01:06 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If you think gridlock is a feature, you're part of the problem.

I'm a part of a lot of problems.  All humans are.

Well, that makes it all okay,
On hiatus.

(07-04-2024, 01:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-03-2024, 05:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote: That abhorrent, right wing cunt would do well to learn about fate of Rohm and other nazi scum. Perhaps it would not be so quick then to praise fuhrerization of office.

He probably will, in a very direct manner ... too late for his own good, of course. Autocrats tends to swallow those around them.

Too late for our own good too, unfortunately.

I'm glad I already have one gun. I will be buying another before November, this one a long gun rather than a pistol.

It might be that he will, which wouldn't be much of a loss if not for the fact that innocent would suffer too.

I doubt that guns will help much against state turning fascist.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

(07-04-2024, 02:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote: I doubt that guns will help much against state turning fascist.

I share those doubts, but at least I can die on my own terms.

On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(07-04-2024, 01:06 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-03-2024, 04:40 PM)Alan V Wrote: Some people don't understand that gridlock in a democracy, when it occurs, is a feature and not a bug.  Thus the attractions of authoritarianism.

I want government to actually work. I don't want gridlock, I want compromise. I don't want the "perfect" to be the enemy of the good. I want our country to work. Yes, I'll settle for gridlock when the fascisti are at the gate. Sure, I'll settle for gridlock when trying to halt encroaching tyranny. But that's the only time it's a feature. We've seen many times -- gov't shutdowns, issues not getting addressed at all -- when it is a positive bug.

I want work. I want progress. I want addressing current issues rather than placing party above country. We don't pay these assholes $175,000/year to do nothing other than bloviate.

If you think gridlock is a feature, you're part of the problem.

Correct, compromise, acceptance, acceptance that you are a minority, trying to find a majority, all of these are part of a democracy and democratic mind.
Trying to use the system to abandon the system, playing the system, refusal to cooperate, delegutimizing everyone who is not part of your party, and finally sabotage leading to gridlock, those are not.

Democracy is like playing chess. Don't play like the proverbial pidgeon
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 4 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, Szuchow, OMM

(07-04-2024, 04:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-04-2024, 02:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote: I doubt that guns will help much against state turning fascist.

I share those doubts, but at least  I can die on my own terms.

It's a overdramatic take I think. I mean sure Poland and USA have big differences but we had fascist gov and despite their abhorrent rhetoric they were far more interested in lining their pockets than anything else. They did attacked immigrants and homosexuals but that's hardly different from what other right wing parties did before and after.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Dānu

Heritage Foundation President recently claimed America is soon going to be  going through a revolution and that it would be bloodless if left simply rolls over and let them take over. My response.

"Hurrah! Hurrah! We bring the jubilee!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The flag that makes you free!
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea!
While we were marching through Georgia!"

If they want civil war then so be it but they ought to remember what happened to the last bunch of traitorous clowns who tried that.  
The following 2 users Like SaxonX's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, OMM

(07-04-2024, 04:47 PM)SaxonX Wrote: Heritage Foundation President recently claimed America is soon going to be  going through a revolution and that it would be bloodless if left simply rolls over and let them take over. My response.

"Hurrah! Hurrah! We bring the jubilee!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The flag that makes you free!
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea!
While we were marching through Georgia!"

If they want civil war then so be it but they ought to remember what happened to the last bunch of traitorous clowns who tried that.  

Trump is right that America is facing internal enemies like it has never seen before. He's only wrong in identifying those enemies as coming from the left.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, pattylt, Fireball, SaxonX, SYZ

Trickle down economics is rich people asking you to eat the scraps from their table like your a dog or a pig.
The following 3 users Like SaxonX's post:
  • Szuchow, Deesse23, OMM

(07-04-2024, 01:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-04-2024, 01:32 AM)Alan V Wrote: I'm a part of a lot of problems.  All humans are.

Well, that makes it all okay,

I assumed you had already noticed that there are pluses and minuses to everything, in different proportions.  That is one of the more frustrating aspects of the world.

But not to change the subject, I take your point that there are problems with gridlock too.  I just don't see it as necessarily evidence of evil.

(07-08-2024, 09:55 PM)Alan V Wrote: But not to change the subject, I take your point that there are problems with gridlock too.  I just don't see it as necessarily evidence of evil.

When gridlock is deliberately inflicted by a party which then uses that impotence to support and justify its thesis that government is incompetent and should therefore not be used to make the lives of citizens better, I definitely disagree.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Szuchow, Deesse23, Rhythmcs

The latest from the "You Can't Make This Shit Up Department."  Texass is involved....of course.

https://www.newsweek.com/ammunition-vend...es-1921976

Quote:Ammunition Vending Machines Appear in Grocery Stores

Because, you know, if a guy wants to shoot up a grocery store he should be able to get more bullets.........

Quote:The first machine to be put in was at a Fresh Value grocery store in Pell City, Alabama.

Four have since been installed in Super C Mart locations in Oklahoma, and one in a Lowe's Markets in Canyon Lake, Texas.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(07-10-2024, 06:29 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The latest from the "You Can't Make This Shit Up Department."  Texass is involved....of course.

Because, you know, if a guy wants to shoot up a grocery store he should be able to get more bullets........

Quote:The first machine to be put in was at a Fresh Value grocery store in Pell City, Alabama.

Quote:Four have since been installed in Super C Mart locations in Oklahoma, and one in a Lowe's Markets in Canyon Lake, Texas.

Can someone in the US please confirm this is some
kind of hoax story?

I'm unable to believe that even American right-wing,
gung ho, wannabe gangstas would accept this sort of
thing.

Huh
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(07-10-2024, 06:29 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The latest from the "You Can't Make This Shit Up Department."  Texass is involved....of course.

Because, you know, if a guy wants to shoot up a grocery store he should be able to get more bullets.........

Four have since been installed in Super C Mart locations in Oklahoma, and one in a Lowe's Markets in Canyon Lake, Texas.

How many quarters for a box of buckshot?
The following 1 user Likes OMM's post:
  • Fireball

I saw this today, too. All can say is that Southern Republicans will never pass up an opportunity to make money and fuel their ammosexual fantasies.
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • Cavebear

(07-10-2024, 08:18 PM)SYZ Wrote:

Because, you know, if a guy wants to shoot up a grocery store he should be able to get more bullets........

kind of hoax story?

thing.

Huh

Whenever you think the fascist right has reached the bottom of the barrel.....think again.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear, Szuchow, SYZ

(07-10-2024, 10:17 PM)pattylt Wrote: I saw this today, too.  All can say is that Southern Republicans will never pass up an opportunity to make money and fuel their ammosexual fantasies.

"Ammosexual"? I love that! Almost as good as the new term "forced-birthers"... ROFL2

Damn, I love this place!
Never try to catch a dropped knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • pattylt

(07-10-2024, 10:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(07-10-2024, 08:18 PM)SYZ Wrote: Can someone in the US please confirm this is some
kind of hoax story?

thing.

Huh

Whenever you think the fascist right has reached the bottom of the barrel.....think again.

There is never a real bottom... Panic
Never try to catch a dropped knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball

(07-10-2024, 08:18 PM)SYZ Wrote:

kind of hoax story?

thing.

Huh

I can't confirm stores selling ammo from vending machines here, but I can confirm numerous idiots.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • pattylt, Fireball

(07-10-2024, 06:29 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The first machine to be put in was at a Fresh Value grocery store in Pell City, Alabama
Pell City, what a shithole.  I've got family currently trying to escape it.  Damned shame, too..beautiful lakes.

There you go...."Eye-Witness Testimony" of a valuable kind!

The following 4 users Like OMM's post:
  • Fireball, Rhythmcs, Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

(07-16-2024, 03:06 AM)OMM Wrote:

Good video, but I think this one is better:
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • OMM