Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists May Have Solved Ancient Mystery of "First Computer"
Information 
From the moment it was discovered more than a century ago, scholars have puzzled over
the Antikythera mechanism, a remarkable and baffling astronomical calculator that survives
from the ancient world.  The hand-powered, 2,000-year-old device displayed the motion of
the universe, predicting the movement of the five known planets, the phases of the moon
and the solar and lunar eclipses.

Researchers claim breakthrough in study of 2,000-year-old Antikythera mechanism.

[Image: 1888.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma...ad46973a08]

The mechanism, often described as the world’s first analogue computer, was found by sponge
divers in 1901 amid a haul of treasures salvaged from a merchant ship that met with disaster
off the Greek island of Antikythera.

[Image: hublot-antikythera-mechanism-first-computer-watch-0.jpg]
Replica of mechanism constructed by Swiss watch company Hublot.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 7 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23, Peebothuhlu, Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis, brunumb, Gwaithmir

That is so amazing.  My husband was reading the article this morning.  One wonders where our knowledge would be today if we hadn't descended into the depths of the Dark Ages and Christian stupidity.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Minimalist, SYZ, Gwaithmir

We'd be helping the Jedi rid the galaxy of the Sith.

(03-13-2021, 09:20 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: That is so amazing.  My husband was reading the article this morning.  One wonders where our knowledge would be today if we hadn't descended into the depths of the Dark Ages and Christian stupidity.

The Greek Renaissance would have been an amazing time to be alive, I think.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

(03-13-2021, 11:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-13-2021, 09:20 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: That is so amazing.  My husband was reading the article this morning.  One wonders where our knowledge would be today if we hadn't descended into the depths of the Dark Ages and Christian stupidity.

The Greek Renaissance would have been an amazing time to be alive, I think.

Speaking of Greeks, I would love to meet Diogenes, personally. He might not've felt the same way though. Not sure about shaking hands with him, either...
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus