Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“Jesus will have to leave”

An Air France flight en route from Paris to New Delhi had to make an emergency landing at Sofia Airport in Bulgaria because of the disruptive and threatening behaviour of an Indian passenger, Reuters reported on Saturday. The incident took place on Friday.

The man, whose name was not revealed, was taken off the aircraft and has been charged with endangering flight safety. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison.

[...]

Ivailo Angelov, an official at Bulgaria’s National Investigation Agency, told Reuters that the man began to act up soon after take-off, quarrelling with other passengers, assaulting a flight attendant and pummeling the cockpit’s door. A purported video of the incident, shared by Congress leader Gaurav Pandhi, shows the man, wearing a white sweater and mouthing profanities at another passenger. He also shouts slogans in support of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“Modi, my brother Modi...Modi, Modi,” the man says. “Modi is calling, come here.”

He can be also be heard making disparaging comments about the passenger’s identity, saying things like “Jesus will have to leave,” and “Udta Punjab”, a possible reference to a Bollywood film by that name, which explores the rampant drug culture in the north Indian state.

As the flight attendants and other passengers try to pacify him, the man threatens to hit them. He then seems to have a sudden outburst, as he loudly yells, “Jai Hind...Modi,” and starts to scream incoherently. A few seconds later, he goes back to abusing and threatening those around him.

Ivailo Angelov said there was no reasonable explanation for the man’s behaviour. “We are investigating both his actions and his motives,” the investigation agency official added. “He realises what he has done but does not behave quite adequately,” Angelov said."

I'd've been pissing my pants! Violent anger scares the bejesus out of me. In an enclosed space? High up in the sky? I would've probably ended up hiding in the overhead bin, pretending I was an old bag. Hell, by the time I get to travel again I will be an old bag Dodgy
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Bucky Ball, GenesisNemesis, Kim

Someone on the flight crew should have a taser and the training on how to use it.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Fake news. Jesus just left Chicago. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

He sounds like he is mentally disturbed. Off his meds?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bucky Ball, GenesisNemesis

(03-09-2021, 03:59 PM)Vera Wrote: An Air France flight en route from Paris to New Delhi had to make an emergency landing at Sofia Airport in Bulgaria because of the disruptive and threatening behaviour of an Indian passenger, Reuters reported on Saturday. The incident took place on Friday.

The man, whose name was not revealed, was taken off the aircraft and has been charged with endangering flight safety. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison.

[...]

Ivailo Angelov, an official at Bulgaria’s National Investigation Agency, told Reuters that the man began to act up soon after take-off, quarrelling with other passengers, assaulting a flight attendant and pummeling the cockpit’s door. A purported video of the incident, shared by Congress leader Gaurav Pandhi, shows the man, wearing a white sweater and mouthing profanities at another passenger. He also shouts slogans in support of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“Modi, my brother Modi...Modi, Modi,” the man says. “Modi is calling, come here.”

He can be also be heard making disparaging comments about the passenger’s identity, saying things like “Jesus will have to leave,” and “Udta Punjab”, a possible reference to a Bollywood film by that name, which explores the rampant drug culture in the north Indian state.

As the flight attendants and other passengers try to pacify him, the man threatens to hit them. He then seems to have a sudden outburst, as he loudly yells, “Jai Hind...Modi,” and starts to scream incoherently. A few seconds later, he goes back to abusing and threatening those around him.

Ivailo Angelov said there was no reasonable explanation for the man’s behaviour. “We are investigating both his actions and his motives,” the investigation agency official added. “He realises what he has done but does not behave quite adequately,” Angelov said."

I'd've been pissing my pants! Violent anger scares the bejesus out of me. In an enclosed space? High up in the sky? I would've probably ended up hiding in the overhead bin, pretending I was an old bag. Hell, by the time I get to travel again I will be an old bag Dodgy

It is an unfortunate fact you can run into the mentally ill just about everywhere.
Which reminds me, I should take that self-defense class the hospital offers. Nothin' like a little practice.
Test

(03-09-2021, 04:34 PM)Dom Wrote: He sounds like he is mentally disturbed. Off his meds?

Hard to distinguish mental illness and nationalism though.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • mordant, Vera, Kim

(03-09-2021, 04:34 PM)Dom Wrote: He sounds like he is mentally disturbed. Off his meds?
Definitely off meds (or just under or untreated). It's too incoherent and unprovoked to be pure nationalism. Psychosis often has religious and political elements.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dom, Vera, Kim

Oh, it's almost certainly a mental issue. Or I hope so for his own sake, as the sentence for endangering the safety of a flight is between 5 and 10 years. Hopefully he'll get the treatment he needs.

Apparently, he had to be removed from the courtroom. He had also received psychiatric treatment in India in 2019.

(03-09-2021, 04:42 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Hard to distinguish mental illness and nationalism though.

In all fairness, nationalism *is* a mental illness.

Or, as Einstein put it: "an infantile disease. The measles of mankind."
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim

(03-10-2021, 02:25 PM)Vera Wrote: Oh, it's almost certainly a mental issue. Or I hope so for his own sake, as the sentence for endangering the safety of a flight is between 5 and 10 years. Hopefully he'll get the treatment he needs.

Apparently, he had to be removed from the courtroom. He had also received psychiatric treatment in India in 2019.

(03-09-2021, 04:42 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Hard to distinguish mental illness and nationalism though.

In all fairness, nationalism *is* a mental illness.

Or, as Einstein put it: "an infantile disease. The measles of mankind."

Reminds me of a story of two doctors walking through a mental institution when they approached a patient who was standing outside his room with his hand inside his robe. The first doctor asked the patient, "What's your name?" The patient replied in his best French accent, "I am Napoleon!" The second doctor asked, "Who told you that you are Napoleon?" The patient thought for a second and then replied, "God did!" All of a sudden a voice from the other room hollered out, "I did not!"
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter
The following 4 users Like Mad Hatter's post:
  • Inkubus, mordant, Kim, skyking

How much whisky was he knocking back?
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.