Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The New Testament is better" -pet peeve

So I always hear people say the New Testament is better than the Old Testament because Jesus said some nice things in it, but people seem to gloss over the fact that the New Testament contains the book of Revelation... which is what makes Christianity an apocalyptic death cult.  hobo

Just a lil' pet peeve.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 6 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus, Aliza, mordant, brunumb

Two piles of horseshit.

Both smell bad.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

It hardly could be worse considering that main character of OT is genocidal tyrant.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis, epronovost

Well, god and it's 2.0 set of rules, clashes less with my sense of morality.

Also, chery picking proficiency is increased 3 fold.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:

(03-03-2021, 05:36 PM)Szuchow Wrote: It hardly could be worse considering that main character of OT is genocidal tyrant.

But Jesus and his Father are supposedly one and the same.  Consider
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow, Gwaithmir

(03-03-2021, 05:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 05:36 PM)Szuchow Wrote: It hardly could be worse considering that main character of OT is genocidal tyrant.

And they are only 1/3rd of the thing each. I wonder why they needed a holy ghost.  Consider
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

When you're making shit up, there are no constraints. 3 is always better. 3 legged ladder, 3 legged stool, 3 is a stable platform to build on.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(03-03-2021, 06:08 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 05:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

And they are only 1/3rd of the thing each. I wonder why they needed a holy ghost.  Consider

Should Jesus only be counted as 1/3rd of a person then?
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom

(03-03-2021, 06:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:08 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 05:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: But Jesus and his Father are supposedly one and the same.  Consider

Yep, if you consider a ghost also a third of a person.

What does the ghost do anyway? What do they need him for? I don't remember hearing much about that.

God needed a son so he could have him killed. But the ghost?
  • GenesisNemesis

(03-03-2021, 06:34 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:08 PM)Dom Wrote: And they are only 1/3rd of the thing each. I wonder why they needed a holy ghost.  Consider

What does the ghost do anyway? What do they need him for? I don't remember hearing much about that.

Ghost was needed to impregnate Mary.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I actually prefer the color of the old testament. The main character in the New Testament is a boring nutjob who curses fig trees for being out of season and tells stories with nonsensical moral lessons.

If I were ever to return to the fold, I'd much sooner convert to Judaism than Christianity.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis, Aliza, Inkubus

The OT shows a people being chosen by god (who gives them extremely specific rules to keep his favor) and prospering because of it.  Everybody else outside of this tribe...well, they can pray to their own gods, and as long as they stay out of Israel's way, that's okay.      

The NT introduces the concept of people being rejected by god, asserts that only joining Jesus' gang can win god's favor, and implies that those who don't join the gang will be actively punished for it, whether or not they avoid god's favored people.   

The rules the NT gives to its followers are awful, too.   In addition to actions, thoughts become crimes, and all crimes, from murder to finding another human attractive without acting on it, become equivalently damning.      

The NT is much, much worse than the OT. Both are awful, though.
god, ugh
The following 7 users Like julep's post:
  • Dom, Dānu, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Aegon, TheGentlemanBastard, Inkubus

(03-03-2021, 06:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Should Jesus only be counted as 1/3rd of a person then?

Why does an omnipotent god need a ghost to do impregnating? He should be able to just snap his finger and Mary would be pregnant.

The ghost does not compute for me. It is totally superfluous.
  • GenesisNemesis

(03-03-2021, 07:07 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:34 PM)Dom Wrote: Yep, if you consider a ghost also a third of a person.

Why does an omnipotent god need a ghost to do impregnating? He should be able to just snap his finger and Mary would be pregnant.

It's a great mystery of the faith I guess.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis

Instead of God of the gaps, it is the gaps of God Smile
test signature
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dancefortwo

(03-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Ghost was needed to impregnate Mary.

It's a great mystery of the faith I guess.

God suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder. Mystery solved!  Chuckle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:

(03-03-2021, 06:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Should Jesus only be counted as 1/3rd of a person then?

Zeus turned himself into a swan to bang Leda.  Zeus was way cooler than this yahweh putz.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom, brunumb

(03-03-2021, 05:29 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: So I always hear people say the New Testament is better than the Old Testament because Jesus said some nice things in it, but people seem to gloss over the fact that the New Testament contains the book of Revelation... which is what makes Christianity an apocalyptic death cult.  hobo

Just a lil' pet peeve.

Yabut, Jesus is supposed to be the son and god of the old testament all at the same time.  He's the whole shebang.....or would that be the whole he-bang?    

Jesus didn't get a divorce from his dad/himself and there was no custody battle, nor did Jesus declare "Emancipation" from his dad/self so this means that he is carrying all the baggage from the Old Testament into the New Testament.   And that includes the 25 million people Jesus/dad killed because he was totally incapable of forgiving people without death, bloody sacrifices, ethnic cleansing and world wide carnage.

I notice those who claim the New Testament "is better" nonsense still cling onto the 10 Commandments and claim that gay men are going to burn in hell.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:

(03-03-2021, 06:34 PM)Dom Wrote: Yep, if you consider a ghost also a third of a person.

Plus a couple of the gospel writers were in Mary's room viewing all this.......'cause, you know.....gospels are eyewitness accounts according to Christians.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(03-03-2021, 07:45 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Ghost was needed to impregnate Mary.

Plus a couple of the gospel writers were Mary's room viewing all this.......'cause, you know.....gospels are eyewitness accounts according to Christians.

Here's proof:

[Image: ghost.jpg]
  • Dancefortwo

The thing you have to remember is that Jesus was never born, he was always right there alongside God. So when the bears gutted a bunch of children? Jesus was there. Killing people with a flood? There too. Banging Mary? Jesus had ringside seats.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(03-03-2021, 07:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 05:29 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: So I always hear people say the New Testament is better than the Old Testament because Jesus said some nice things in it, but people seem to gloss over the fact that the New Testament contains the book of Revelation... which is what makes Christianity an apocalyptic death cult.  hobo

Just a lil' pet peeve.

Yabut, Jesus is supposed to be the son and god of the old testament all at the same time.  He's the whole shebang.....or would that be the whole he-bang?    

Jesus didn't get a divorce from his dad/himself and there was no custody battle, nor did Jesus declare "Emancipation" from his dad/self so this means that he is carrying all the baggage from the Old Testament into the New Testament.   And that includes the 25 million people Jesus/dad killed because he was totally incapable of forgiving people without death, bloody sacrifices, ethnic cleansing and world wide carnage.

I notice those who claim the New Testament "is better" nonsense still cling onto the 10 Commandments and claim that gay men are going to burn in hell.

When you're cherry picking why not pick from both?

(Insert meme)
test signature

I wonder (get it *wonder*   Weeping  snort) if devotees of these religions know where Yahweh came from.

Even in Deuteronomy it says the Most High god ("El" ... who was not Yahweh), apportioned out the nations of the world to the gods, and he gave Israel to Yahweh. Yahweh was the 40th son of the god El, in Babylonian mythology. I'm not sure they always knew about the origins of Yahweh, but they sure have since the Royal Library at Ashurbanipal was discovered in the late 18th Century.

I also wonder if these devotees know that (it's even WRITTEN in the OT) Yahweh had a wife, (a consort), and archaeology has proven that, and found statues of her in many sacred spots. His Ashera. Isn't she wonderful. It's amusing to me that some of the chief debunkers of Hebrew scripture are Israeli archeologists. We know Abraham was a myth, there was no Exodus, there may have never been a unified kingdom, (BTW a modern democracy is in no way a reconstitution of an ancient kingdom that was, for a few thousand years, destroyed at the hand of Rome, wonderful as it is),  also after it was destroyed by the Babylonians and then reconstituted by the Emperor of Persia ... Artaxerxes. He was wonderful, but the history isn't so wonderful as they might think. All these wonders to behold and discuss.
Test

(03-03-2021, 07:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I notice those who claim the New Testament "is better" nonsense still cling onto the 10 Commandments and claim that gay men are going to burn in hell.

That's because their own "kinder, gentler" godling had this to say:

Quote:For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Jesus is apparently cool with all the OT bullshit ... all cherry-picking aside.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, TheGentlemanBastard

(03-03-2021, 08:56 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 07:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I notice those who claim the New Testament "is better" nonsense still cling onto the 10 Commandments and claim that gay men are going to burn in hell.

That's because their own "kinder, gentler" godling had this to say:

Quote:For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Jesus is apparently cool with all the OT bullshit ... all cherry-picking aside.

Don't forget the part where Jesus says to love him more than your family members or you're not worthy of him. Sounds like a grade-A dick to me.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard