Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral evil and God

Moral evil and God
Quote:Why the hell he has to take his anger out on the poor cows is beyond me.

Cuz God is a dick.  Just like his followers.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Moral evil and God
Sub-goodness of God quote list
proof texts
This list is not inclusive.

------------------------
God is just

Deuteronomy 32
4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity,
just and right is he.

Psalm 25-8
8 God is fair and just; He corrects the misdirected, Sends them in the right direction.

-----------------------
God is fair

Psalm 25:8 God is fair and just; He corrects the misdirected, Sends them in the right direction.

-----------------------
God is merciful

Psalm 145:8-9
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy. The Lord is good to all, and
His tender mercies are over all His works. Psalm 145:8-9

-----------------------
God is compassionate

Psalm 145:8-9
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy. The Lord is good to all, and
His tender mercies are over all His works. Psalm 145:8-9

-----------------------
God is righteous

Psalm 89:14
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; mercy and truth go before Your face.

Psalm 11:7
For the Lord is righteous, He loves righteousness;

-----------------------
God is love

1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
-----------------------

-----------------------
God is perfect.

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
-----------------------

I have been arguing with lunkheads in some forums far, far away I am told "God is not a moral agent. God has no moral obligations to us". That good with God is not the same sort of good as with moral people". But these verses tell us God has all these sub-goodnesses, the qualities, attributes, these moral natures.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Moral evil and God
My post went down stupid street.  Sorry.
                                                         T4618

Moral evil and God
(02-23-2021, 11:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: My post went down stupid street.  Sorry.
Next time call at no.24. We have fresh coffee and cookies.
The following 2 users Like Finite Monkeys's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Dānu

Moral evil and God
(02-24-2021, 12:07 AM)Finite Monkeys Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 11:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: My post went down stupid street.  Sorry.
Next time call at no.24. We have fresh coffee and cookies.

That's as may be... but do you have tacos?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Finite Monkeys

Moral evil and God
God is love.... just not any type of love he's equipped us to understand as decent and honest
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.
The following 1 user Likes possibletarian's post:
  • mordant

Moral evil and God
(02-21-2021, 12:37 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Christian:  "God gives us free will to do moral evil.  Later, God will punish us for doing moral evil."
Atheist: "But what about the suffering a moral evil doer inflicts on innocent victims?  What if that God does not exist"?

I have a different argument against that nonsense;  "But if we have free will, god cannot be all powerful.  Your god, based on christian theology, cannot exist".
Factio Republicanus delenda est!

Moral evil and God
(02-23-2021, 10:29 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: I have been arguing with lunkheads in some forums far, far away  I am told "God is not a moral agent.  God has no moral obligations to us".  That good with God is not the same sort of good as with moral people".  But these verses tell us God has all these sub-goodnesses, the qualities, attributes, these moral natures.

And yet the same people will tell you that god created a perfect and immutable morality.
Factio Republicanus delenda est!

Moral evil and God
(02-27-2021, 03:59 PM)Brian Shanahan Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 10:29 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: I have been arguing with lunkheads in some forums far, far away  I am told "God is not a moral agent.  God has no moral obligations to us".  That good with God is not the same sort of good as with moral people".  But these verses tell us God has all these sub-goodnesses, the qualities, attributes, these moral natures.

And yet the same people will tell you that god created a perfect and immutable morality.
Proving once again that inerrantist Christian fundamentalism is a funhouse hall of mirrors. Things mean what they say they mean IN CONTEXT, no more and no less. Their version of the Cheshire Cat.

They are constantly going on about "context" as a hand-waving dismissal of what are actually blatant logical inconsistencies. This is most often done with a sort of smug dismissiveness that you as an unbeliever can't possibly understand the subtleties of theology that they do. Which is particularly irritating to this former denizen of a fucking Bible Institute.