Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any Former Christian, Current Atheist Parents out there?

(02-13-2021, 03:53 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:46 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 02:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Not everyone is Fitzgerald or Joyce, sadly. But his thoughts on a complex topic are clear and understandable.

Bulldozers too are ugly, but my, don't they get shit done?

Not trying to win a pulitzer here. Clear and understandable? Mission accomplished. And....who's Joyce Fitzgerald?

I'm guessing you missed the disjunctive "or"? They're two different writers.

There I go trying to be funny when my reputation is a 2. I'd rather be compared to Steinbeck. Grapes of Wrath blew me away, so good.
The following 1 user Likes Josiah Aberhard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-13-2021, 03:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 12:58 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:18 AM)Fireball Wrote: Not surprising that you have seen behaviors like yours backfire. Since you dared to ask, Rolleyes "sock behaviors" are over the top postings that exemplify the behavior of prior members who have been banished for bad behavior, but have created new accounts- so called, "socks". As for accusations of "particularity" and "assumptions" about sock-like behavior, I'll let you sort that out on your own.

What's the consensus about who this is? Anybody?

One word: Clown

Excellent diagnosis.

But it aint true, I swear. Scouts honor?

(02-13-2021, 03:57 PM)Szuchow Wrote: *To my eternal shame I knew that Joyce written Ulisses but I had no idea what Fitzgerald had written.

Nothing to feel shame over.

I'm not a fan of Joyce, but Fitzgerald has written three books considered American classics: The Great Gatsby, Tender is the Night, and This Side of Paradise. I rather like his writing.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Szuchow

(02-13-2021, 03:57 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:53 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:46 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote: Not trying to win a pulitzer here. Clear and understandable? Mission accomplished. And....who's Joyce Fitzgerald?

I'm guessing you missed the disjunctive "or"? They're two different writers.

What are chances that native English speaker did not know that Joyce and Fitzgerald are different writers when even I was aware of it*?

*To my eternal shame I knew that Joyce written Ulisses but I had no idea what Fitzgerald had written.

I positively HATE "modern" novels. Everything written in the last century is junk. And movies;I never even cared what "rosebud' was. Dumb movie about a fuck-up.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(02-13-2021, 04:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:57 PM)Szuchow Wrote: *To my eternal shame I knew that Joyce written Ulisses but I had no idea what Fitzgerald had written.

Nothing to feel shame over.

Agreed, but I like to think of myself as widely read.

Quote:I'm not a fan of Joyce, but Fitzgerald has written three books considered American classics: The Great Gatsby, Tender is the Night, and This Side of Paradise. I rather like his writing.

I never tried one or the other. Come to think of it I prefer Russian writers.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-13-2021, 04:01 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 12:58 PM)Dom Wrote: One word: Clown

Excellent diagnosis.

And how would you know who the clown is? 

Game over. Banned for sock puppetry.

You are still a one trick pony. Chatty, buddy up to receptive people, create a group who likes you.

Get called out, play poor little me. Get people to defend you, start a war.

Not under my watch, buddy.

Old Lady
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • abaris, Cavebear, Phaedrus, SYZ

(02-13-2021, 04:08 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Excellent diagnosis.

You are still a one trick pony. Chatty, buddy up to receptive people, create a group who likes you.

Old Lady

Was it anybody I knew? Writing style led me to believe that it was just common internet weirdo.

Socrates.

(02-13-2021, 04:00 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote: There I go trying to be funny when my reputation is a 2. I'd rather be compared to Steinbeck. Grapes of Wrath blew me away, so good.

It's all good, I suppose I'm in a starchy mood?

Of Mice and Men really tore me up. Doesn't hurt that I spent part of my youth in that part of the country. Being a half-wit gave me empathy with Lennie, too.
On hiatus.

(02-13-2021, 04:09 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Was it anybody I knew? Writing style led me to believe that it was just common internet weirdo.

Not sure. I don't know the names he went by on TTA. I got suspicious right from the get go, with his ludicrous nick and the first sentence he introduced himself. Dom seems to know him better from past experiences. Seems to bait people into liking him and to start his own little "us vs them" war.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Dom

(02-13-2021, 03:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Excellent diagnosis.

Old Lady

Whowasitwhowasitwhowasitwhowasitwhowasitwhowasit
On hiatus.
  • Fireball

(02-13-2021, 04:09 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:01 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote: But it aint true, I swear. Scouts honor?

Old Lady

Was it anybody I knew? Writing style led me to believe that it was just common internet weirdo.

The most famous name was clown. He had half a dozen or more others, repeat sock, always plays the same game. Not on my watch.

(02-13-2021, 04:13 PM)abaris Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:09 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Was it anybody I knew? Writing style led me to believe that it was just common internet weirdo.

Not sure. I don't know the names he went by on TTA. I got suspicious right from the get go, with his ludicrous nick and the first sentence he introduced himself. Dom seems to know him better from past experiences. Seems to bait people into liking him and to start his own little "us vs them" war.

If his OP was example of his modus operandi then his baiting people into liking him should be about as successful as Kaczyński tries to appear statesman.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Cavebear, Fireball, SYZ

Yonadev, or whatever his name was? You know, the guy who had a meltdown over being told to remove a backpack in a grocery store.
On hiatus.
  • abaris

(02-13-2021, 04:15 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:09 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:08 PM)Dom Wrote: And how would you know who the clown is? 

Old Lady

The most famous name was clown. He had half a dozen or more others, repeat sock, always plays the same game. Not on my watch.

No idea who it was but then I wasn't on TTA all that long.

Socrates.

(02-13-2021, 04:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Yonadev, or whatever his name was? You know, the guy who had a meltdown over being told to remove a backpack in a grocery store.

Yonadev was asshole and fool seeing antisemitism everywhere but he had different writing style. Also Dom already identified him.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom

(02-13-2021, 04:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Yonadev, or whatever his name was? You know, the guy who had a meltdown over being told to remove a backpack in a grocery store.

I remember the story, but not the member.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-13-2021, 04:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

No, Yona wasn't malignant. The clown was on TTA for months, over and over. Josh knew exactly what I was talking about, even when most of you didn't. Caught. He likes to get people to fight over him. Monopolize attention, love and hate, it's all good, he dominates the forum and leaves it a shambles with people arguing for and against him.

He needs to change his style and come up with new tricks if he wants to make a comeback.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

(02-13-2021, 04:16 PM)Szuchow Wrote:

If his OP was example of his modus operandi then his baiting people into liking him should be about as successful as Kaczyński tries to appear statesman.

Wow, the things I am clueless about here are innumerable. Posters, not facts though...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

It's on purpose. Some did like him, some didn't. It lays the ground work. It's not about being loved, it's about being the center of attention. So, he needs lovers and haters to pull it off.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • abaris

(02-13-2021, 04:25 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:13 PM)abaris Wrote: Not sure. I don't know the names he went by on TTA. I got suspicious right from the get go, with his ludicrous nick and the first sentence he introduced himself. Dom seems to know him better from past experiences. Seems to bait people into liking him and to start his own little "us vs them" war.

It's on purpose. Some did like him, some didn't. It lays the ground work. It's not about being loved, it's about being the center of attention. So, he needs lovers and haters to pull it off.

I yield to your greater experience but it seems to me that writing like that would only result in ridicule. Entirely understandable ridicule.

Socrates.

(02-13-2021, 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote: No, Yona wasn't malignant. The clown was on TTA for months, over and over. Josh knew exactly what I was talking about, even when most of you didn't. Caught. He likes to get people to fight over him. Monopolize attention, love and hate, it's all good, he dominates the forum and leaves it a shambles with people arguing for and against him.

He needs to change his style and come up with new tricks if he wants to make a comeback.

Don't remember him, but I only joined there in 2016.
On hiatus.

(02-13-2021, 04:28 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:25 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:16 PM)Szuchow Wrote: If his OP was example of his modus operandi then his baiting people into liking him should be about as successful as Kaczyński tries to appear statesman.

I yield to your greater experience but it seems to me that writing like that would only result in ridicule. Entirely understandable ridicule.

It does. And there will be well meaning people to defend him. And the circus starts.

(02-13-2021, 04:30 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:28 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:25 PM)Dom Wrote: It's on purpose. Some did like him, some didn't. It lays the ground work. It's not about being loved, it's about being the center of attention. So, he needs lovers and haters to pull it off.

It does. And there will be well meaning people to defend him. And the circus starts.

I don't think that there will be any circus after banning some demented sock puppet. It's not like he brought anything of worth with him.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dom, Fireball

Oh, interesting. Good morning all. Maybe I'm just a somber, sedate, cranky, or whatever kind of person, but this guy was annoying me right off the bat. Just a bit of a try-hard as far as making his presence known. Too friendly (yes, that's a thing) and too "stand-up comic)

Interesting that he actually did turn out a bad apple and was banned (tried looking for a popcorn thread for bans).
Is this sig thing on?
The following 5 users Like c172's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, jerry mcmasters, SYZ, Deesse23

What have I missed! Bloody typical.