Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any Former Christian, Current Atheist Parents out there?

Sup? Wifey McWiferton and I are adopting a kiddo. We are not Christian any longer. It's not that I don't already know how we are going to raise said kiddo (Methodist, obviously. Duh.), but how do YOU raise your kids? What's your approach? How hard do you thump them with your bible? Please explain.

I had been an atheist for fifteen years before I became a father. My main goal was to teach him how to think, not what to think.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, Dancefortwo, Aliza

(02-12-2021, 10:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I had been an atheist for fifteen years before I became a father. My main goal was to teach him how to think, not what to think.

I knew you'd say that, Plumpacus. That's our goal too.
The following 1 user Likes Josiah Aberhard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I am not fond of this negative nick name stuff.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Josiah Aberhard, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

My kid is 23 now.  As a youngster he went through a couple of theistic phases, but never was much interested in the Christian god.  Now he's an atheist.  

While he was growing up, we answered his questions to the best of our ability.  He was always interested in various mythologies and belief systems, especially ones with dragons.  Because we discussed Christianity as one of those mythologies, he didn't develop any attachment to its stories.  For a while when he was about nine, he was curious about church services, so we let him go to a local Episcopalian church for a couple of months, until he lost interest.  We stopped taking him there once he got bored.  

A challenge was protecting him from my nut job father (religious fanatic who destroyed my childhood), who has made numerous attempts to convert him.  They are conducted through the mail for now and are ongoing and ever more full of hellfire, but my son just rolls his eyes at them.  

At the moment, it's kind of ironic: my son and I both have church jobs (we're musicians), but it's at a UU church where they welcome atheists, pagans, agnostics, deists, buddhists,  abrahamic religionists, etc., as well as service dogs.  And they pay their bills on time.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-12-2021, 11:04 PM)Dom Wrote: I am not fond of this negative nick name stuff.

There are those who would call it humor, but I don't know such types; they creep me out.

(02-12-2021, 11:08 PM)julep Wrote: My kid is 23 now.  As a youngster he went through a couple of theistic phases, but never was much interested in the Christian god.  Now he's an atheist.  

While he was growing up, we answered his questions to the best of our ability.  He was always interested in various mythologies and belief systems, especially ones with dragons.  Because we discussed Christianity as one of those mythologies, he didn't develop any attachment to its stories.  For a while when he was about nine, he was curious about church services, so we let him go to a local Episcopalian church for a couple of months, until he lost interest.  We stopped taking him there once he got bored.  

A challenge was protecting him from my nut job father (religious fanatic who destroyed my childhood), who has made numerous attempts to convert him.  They are conducted through the mail for now and are ongoing and ever more full of hellfire, but my son just rolls his eyes at them.  

At the moment, it's kind of ironic: my son and I both have church jobs (we're musicians), but it's at a UU church where they welcome atheists, pagans, agnostics, deists, buddhists,  abrahamic religionists, etc., as well as service dogs.  And they pay their bills on time.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, we've been to a couple UU churches throughout the last couple years. The one good things about church was that at least there was community. We don't have that now. Boo hoo. But for real, we don't really have a community. That's what mainly brings me to this heathen sanctuary.

(02-12-2021, 11:09 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 11:04 PM)Dom Wrote: I am not fond of this negative nick name stuff.

There are those who would call it humor, but I don't know such types; they creep me out.

There can be a fine line between good natured humor and ridicule. The typed word does not lend itself well to intonations.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(02-12-2021, 11:18 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 11:09 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote:

There can be a fine line between good natured humor and ridicule. The typed word does not lend itself well to intonations.

Oh, my bad! Sorry that you mistook my affectionate playfulness and nipped it in the bud with cat-like reflexes. I will NEVER cross that fine line again!  Facepalm<------- that's me palming myself. FACE-palming. Sorry, just gotta be crystal clear.  Whistling <------also me whistling

I was banned, forbidden, outlawed, prohibited, restricted, from any human contact, ever.

(02-12-2021, 11:37 PM)no one Wrote: I was banned, forbidden, outlawed, prohibited, restricted, from any human contact, ever.

Were you FLDS? That doesn't sound cool, No One. I hope you've found your people.

No, I am just the Grand Poobah of worthless scum.

We still like you.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Josiah Aberhard

May I call you Winnie the Poobah? I am sure you are not worthless. I'm fucking sure of it. Seriously, try this: stand up and stick your hands above your head for like 2 minutes as if you are praising the lord (forget the lord part, ha ha). It's called a power pose. It will literally make you feel better. That's called science, yo. For real..try it. Try it out and call me in the morning. My number is 666 (I'm so just kidding! That number is evil!). Despite the silliness I am being serious. Try the power pose, capiche?

Wait, no one, you HAVE found your people: it's us!

(02-12-2021, 11:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote: We still like you.

We fucking like the hell out of you, no one. See? Now go do that power pose!

(02-12-2021, 10:52 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 10:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I had been an atheist for fifteen years before I became a father. My main goal was to teach him how to think, not what to think.

I knew you'd say that, Plumpacus. That's our goal too.

I raised two kids without religion.  I just let them be kids and have fun. You're only a kid once in your life and there's no need to have them believe they're born sinful and in debt from birth and owe some guy who was hung on a stick 2000 years ago anything .  That's by far the thing I hate most about Christianity.   I was raised without religion too and I turned out fine. 

Now excuse me while I check the oven to see if I overcooked the baby.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Minimalist, Josiah Aberhard

Meh, he's someone I met online today. I don't care what he calls me.

Thought it was strange that someone new here would write "I knew you'd say that". But my screenname calls up plenty of spinoffs, it's no big to me.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom

(02-12-2021, 11:56 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Thought it was strange that someone new here would write "I knew you'd say that". But my screenname calls up plenty of spinoffs, it's no big to me.

Josiah - 1.  Dom - 0. Boom. (accidentally drops the mic again due to butter fingers and Noob anxiety)

(02-13-2021, 12:00 AM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote:

Josiah - 1.  Dom - 0. Boom. (accidentally drops the mic again due to butter fingers and Noob anxiety)

So no answer to my confuzzlement?
On hiatus.

Keep at 'em thumps.
Never Say Die!

It may be a hard road, but in the end, you'll be swinging the chain.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

(02-13-2021, 12:08 AM)no one Wrote: Keep at 'em thumps.
Never Say Die!

It may be a hard road, but in the end, you'll be swinging the chain.

And after the shock wavepasses, I'll do an air dance.

I'm still wondering why the AT-6 on the album cover seems to be resting on its nose, as it was a tail-dragger aircraft.
On hiatus.

I just think he's trying too hard to be funny. But I'm not paranoid.

BoT, I raised my three sons as Catholics. 30+ YA, it seemed like the right thing. They are all atheists now. I never beat them over the head with anything, least of all a buy-bull.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom

(02-13-2021, 12:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 12:00 AM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 11:56 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Meh, he's someone I met online today. I don't care what he calls me.

So no answer to my confuzzlement?

You didn't exactly ask me a question, now did you? Please be clear. I don't want any intonations to get in the way of our discourse.

I meant nothing about saying "I knew you'd say that." But..it's an atheist site, so it didn't surprise me, that's all.

I didn't raise my cat. She raised me to worship her for the goddess she is.

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • skyking