Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revenants Fish Tales

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-04-2021, 12:39 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: EyFv7oJWYAAZ7il?format=jpg&name=small]

Got a 20 gallon long tank for the Guppies (also finally managed for snag som Otocinclus Catfish  for a cleanup crew)

[Image: EyFvQjSXAAAtTRP?format=jpg&name=360x360]

So that freed up the 10 gallon to get the Betta in.  Hindsight being 20/20 I would maybe not have used this sand as you can see it really clouded up the water.

[Image: EyFvQQmWgAAWk-C?format=jpg&name=360x360]

This is the tank the next day.  Gouda seems to really enjoy all his new plants.

[Image: EyFvP_hXIAEEB6_?format=jpg&name=large]

Going to try tankmates again with a bit more space and some faster fish.  As opposed to the Ember Tetras these Harlequin Rasboras are a lot faster than the Betta so try as he might he cannot catch them.  Their cruising speed is higher than his dart speed and when they dart they leave him in the dust.  Also they are much closer in size to him so if he does get nippy it won't be an instakill.

Lol, be careful or you'll have the entire house full of aquariums!  Big Grin
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-04-2021, 02:10 AM)Dom Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 12:39 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: EyFv7oJWYAAZ7il?format=jpg&name=small]

Got a 20 gallon long tank for the Guppies (also finally managed for snag som Otocinclus Catfish  for a cleanup crew)

So that freed up the 10 gallon to get the Betta in.  Hindsight being 20/20 I would maybe not have used this sand as you can see it really clouded up the water.

Going to try tankmates again with a bit more space and some faster fish.  As opposed to the Ember Tetras these Harlequin Rasboras are a lot faster than the Betta so try as he might he cannot catch them.  Their cruising speed is higher than his dart speed and when they dart they leave him in the dust.  Also they are much closer in size to him so if he does get nippy it won't be an instakill.

You say that like there is a downside  Thumbs Up
The following 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post:
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-04-2021, 02:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 02:10 AM)Dom Wrote:

I've always dreamt of having an entire wall as aquarium. Hey, one can dream, can't one?

There is a place in Vegas that has had an entire wall as aquarium for decades. I think it's the Mirage, not sure though. I can't even imagine what the upkeep for that is.

Revenants Fish Tales
This isn't the one in the mirage, but I like it even better:

[Image: vegasaquarium.jpg]

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-04-2021, 02:29 AM)Dom Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 02:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 02:10 AM)Dom Wrote: Lol, be careful or you'll have the entire house full of aquariums!  Big Grin

I've always dreamt of having an entire wall as aquarium. Hey, one can dream, can't one?

There is a place in Vegas that has had an entire wall as aquarium for decades. I think it's the Mirage, not sure though.  I can't even imagine what the upkeep for that is.

Probably about the same as on a Koi Pond.  Bigger volumes of water are actually easier to balance than small since water tends to resist change.  Depending on the size of the wall you could probably get a good setup that needs minimal tending for a couple thousand dollars (less if you build the drums yourself) kind of depends on what you are keeping, I have seen a massive Saltwater tank that was probably $20,000 just to build and I have seen a DIY job that was under 1k all in.
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: EyN6m4lWUAAN8Pj?format=jpg&name=360x360]

[Image: EyN6mlBWQAEH5HV?format=jpg&name=360x360]

[Image: EyN6mRbW8AYn0-3?format=jpg&name=small]

Did a minor rescape on the 20 gallon.  I pulled the 2 Amazon Swords and moved them over to the Betta tank where they should do better.  I trimmed back the water sprite and replanted the trim where the Swords used to be.  The Hydrocotyle Japan is carpeting nicely and since I moved them to a new location the Scarlet Temple seems to finally be doing well.

The Betta is doing well with his new tank mates.  He tried to bully them for a while but they were just too fast for him and eventually, after a good long sulk in his floating log, he just accepted that they were here.  He does seem to really like the new set up and has been laying on the plants and ducking into the various hidey holes.

The guppy tank is doing fantastic.  Last night I saw another batch of fresh fry (this would be the 3rd) that could not have been more than a few hours old.  The Ottos have started to color up and seem to be thriving.

Finally the Tub Pond is proceeding the goldfish are still staying mostly to the bottom but are much more active as the temps have steadily increased.  I will be going to a Water Garden/Pond Nursery next weekend that is located down in Cedar Park to get some plants and possible a few more fish.

Overall everything has been going well.
The following 2 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Deesse23, Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: EyivpaIXIAIwsOj?format=jpg&name=small]
[Image: EyivpqrXMAQHgZf?format=jpg&name=360x360]
[Image: Eyivp9GWUAMLeUj?format=jpg&name=360x360]

Well after a week the Betta tank has cleared up nicely and the plants are starting to grow a bit.  I moved a bit of water sprite over there for a bit of variation.  The Community tank is doing well, too well in the case of the bladder snails, the Platy fry are getting bigger (big enough to identify what kind of fish they are) and everything seems to be growing well.  The Guppies are thriving right now, we had another fry drop recently and a lot of the fry survived.  Tomorrow I am heading to the Water Garden and Pond Nursery (was going to do it last week but then we had some things come up) so will hopefully be able to get some stuff for my tub Pond.
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
Just got back from the Water Garden.  It was beautiful, lots of wonderful plants and the sound of water everywhere.

[Image: EypGznqXMAY3oq8?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: EypG0YDW8AAIZyC?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: EypG0AOXIAIpQDF?format=jpg&name=large]

They had a nice covered Koi area, some of those chonkers were huge.  

[Image: EypGrtoXMAIeO3D?format=jpg&name=large]

I got these 2 lil guys (or gals) love the coloration on them.

[Image: EypGzKvWQAIU2yi?format=jpg&name=small]

We got a cute Granite Owl for @Escape Artist

[Image: EypGrATXAAIaP56?format=jpg&name=360x360]

Fritz the Fairy Dragon. we saw him and had to have him.

[Image: EypGqqHWQAMfRmC?format=jpg&name=small]

They had a ton of Bog Plants but these were the 2 I got, glad I held off on getting any more or the fish would have no room to swim.
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-10-2021, 09:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: Just got back from the Water Garden.  It was beautiful, lots of wonderful plants and the sound of water everywhere.

[Image: EypGznqXMAY3oq8?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: EypG0YDW8AAIZyC?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: EypG0AOXIAIpQDF?format=jpg&name=large]

They had a nice covered Koi area, some of those chonkers were huge.  

[Image: EypGrtoXMAIeO3D?format=jpg&name=large]

I got these 2 lil guys (or gals) love the coloration on them.

[Image: EypGzKvWQAIU2yi?format=jpg&name=small]

We got a cute Granite Owl for @Escape Artist

[Image: EypGrATXAAIaP56?format=jpg&name=360x360]

Fritz the Fairy Dragon. we saw him and had to have him.

[Image: EypGqqHWQAMfRmC?format=jpg&name=small]

They had a ton of Bog Plants but these were the 2 I got, glad I held off on getting any more or the fish would have no room to swim.

That looks like a fun and productive outing! Say hi to @Escape Artist for me!
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: Ey4rKSWW8AEUJIj?format=jpg&name=360x360]
[Image: Ey4rJNIXMAId8XK?format=jpg&name=360x360]
[Image: Ey4rIxfXEAsuB3A?format=jpg&name=360x360]

Got the backyard trimmed up and bit and all the plant are looking good.  The bog plants are both flowering and look great.

[Image: Ey4rJwIXMAUDOpO?format=jpg&name=small]

During the big Freeze in February we lost the small agave plant we had in the front yard, as did many other people.  Been looking for something to replace it and finally settled on an Aloe Vera plant.  We had a potted one in our kitchen when I was growing up that was massive (nearly a full meter across) so hopefully this one will grow good and strong here.

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-14-2021, 12:23 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: Ey4rKSWW8AEUJIj?format=jpg&name=360x360]
[Image: Ey4rJNIXMAId8XK?format=jpg&name=360x360]
[Image: Ey4rIxfXEAsuB3A?format=jpg&name=360x360]

Got the backyard trimmed up and bit and all the plant are looking good.  The bog plants are both flowering and look great.

[Image: Ey4rJwIXMAUDOpO?format=jpg&name=small]

During the big Freeze in February we lost the small agave plant we had in the front yard, as did many other people.  Been looking for something to replace it and finally settled on an Aloe Vera plant.  We had a potted one in our kitchen when I was growing up that was massive (nearly a full meter across) so hopefully this one will grow good and strong here.

Probably you should be happy you lost the agave. In California, we had one in the front yard, which was a hill with concrete steps going up and up through it - the house was on top of a hill. The plant was old and mature and bloomed - incredibly tall and impressive. And then the roots burst the stairs and cutting the agave out was a hazard, if you got a tiny bit of juice on you it became a big itchy rash. Not a friend of Agave since then.

aloe looks like a much better plant to have around. It heals rashes with it's juice instead. Smile
  • Fireball

Revenants Fish Tales
https://twitter.com/Revenant77x/status/1...5997883392

Short video of the tub pond.  Speaking of I got some new additions.

[Image: EzhUTW-UYAMMKtp?format=jpg&name=360x360]
[Image: EzhUTokVcAI_4M5?format=jpg&name=360x360]

A beautiful pair of Butterfly Koi.

[Image: EzhUbQkVUAURr0X?format=jpg&name=small]
[Image: EzhUbfnVUAENavc?format=jpg&name=small]

A pair of Calico Shubunkin goldfish that I am going to grow out a bit in the guppy tank (they are a bit small for the food I am feeding out in the pond but given em a month or 2 and they will be ready to go out there)

[Image: EzhUSt3UYAUKQXF?format=jpg&name=360x360]
[Image: EzhUS-7VEAU4bJH?format=jpg&name=360x360]

As for the Guppies I lost my last Blue Dragon guppy but the LFS had recently got in a nice variety of Snakeskin guppies so I grabbed 2 Blue males to add to the tank.
  • Deesse23

Revenants Fish Tales
Looks cool.

I am thinking of starting up a 30 gallon tank that's been sitting outside empty.... just thinking so far.
  • Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
I like all those fish and they're so colorful! I have carved some fish out of wood. Maybe I'll carve a bunch more and get a cheap aquarium. Won't be any water in it, though!  Tongue Maybe a fake tank with only the front being made of plexi-glas® or something. I have enough hobbies, already.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dom, Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-21-2021, 08:44 PM)Fireball Wrote: I like all those fish and they're so colorful! I have carved some fish out of wood. Maybe I'll carve a bunch more and get a cheap aquarium. Won't be any water in it, though!  Tongue Maybe a fake tank with only the front being made of plexi-glas® or something. I have enough hobbies, already.

I'd like to see your carved fish!
  • Fireball

Revenants Fish Tales
Didnt know how fascinating fish tanks can be.....until now. Thumbs Up
R.I.P. Hannes

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-21-2021, 08:51 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 08:44 PM)Fireball Wrote: I like all those fish and they're so colorful! I have carved some fish out of wood. Maybe I'll carve a bunch more and get a cheap aquarium. Won't be any water in it, though!  Tongue Maybe a fake tank with only the front being made of plexi-glas® or something. I have enough hobbies, already.

I'd like to see your carved fish!

I have several, all unfinished.  Modest  It'll be awhile, as I had foot surgery yesterday and I'm supposed to keep it up and iced to reduce swelling.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
Got my second Moderna shot yesterday at 1pm local so before that I did all my chores (not having that bad a reaction to it but the wife has flu like symptoms and is sleeping)

[Image: EzqrjxEVkAkPUnn?format=jpg&name=360x360]

I did a fairly major rescape on the 20 removed the Java Ferns and moved the water sprite to the back of the tank.  The Java ferns were not doing well and were covered with green hair algae and the water sprite grows so fast and so tall I was going to have to start trimming it twice a week to be able to see into the tank.  The end result looks nice I think and gives a bit more swimming space to the fish.

[Image: EzqrjbSVUAU9UPI?format=jpg&name=360x360]

I moved most of the Water sprite trimmings and all of the Java ferns over to the guppy tank since guppies and goldfish (have 2 calico shubunkins rooming with them until they get bigger) will eat algae and it gives the fry a nice spot to hide.

[Image: EzqrjHQVgAgYgFa?format=jpg&name=small]

The Betta tank is starting to fill in, the Amazon swords are doing much better in here than they were in the community tank and the Betta loves taking naps on the plants.  Fasting that tank today because the bladder snails got in when I moved plants around (should have dipped them but hindsight is 20/20) and I want to keep the numbers down.

Revenants Fish Tales
(04-23-2021, 03:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: Got my second Moderna shot yesterday at 1pm local so before that I did all my chores (not having that bad a reaction to it but the wife has flu like symptoms and is sleeping)

[Image: EzqrjxEVkAkPUnn?format=jpg&name=360x360]

I did a fairly major rescape on the 20 removed the Java Ferns and moved the water sprite to the back of the tank.  The Java ferns were not doing well and were covered with green hair algae and the water sprite grows so fast and so tall I was going to have to start trimming it twice a week to be able to see into the tank.  The end result looks nice I think and gives a bit more swimming space to the fish.

[Image: EzqrjbSVUAU9UPI?format=jpg&name=360x360]

I moved most of the Water sprite trimmings and all of the Java ferns over to the guppy tank since guppies and goldfish (have 2 calico shubunkins rooming with them until they get bigger) will eat algae and it gives the fry a nice spot to hide.

[Image: EzqrjHQVgAgYgFa?format=jpg&name=small]

The Betta tank is starting to fill in, the Amazon swords are doing much better in here than they were in the community tank and the Betta loves taking naps on the plants.  Fasting that tank today because the bladder snails got in when I moved plants around (should have dipped them but hindsight is 20/20) and I want to keep the numbers down.

You fuss a lot more than I. Your tanks are gorgeous, very nice work!

Revenants Fish Tales
Been a while since I updated this.  The Guppy project never really went where I wanted it to and so at the beginning of the year I went ahead and tore it down got rid of the guppies and did what I originally wanted to do.

[Image: FLrYbXUVEAEDo56?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: FLrYb25UcAA3jBX?format=jpg&name=large]

Neon Tetras and a Pink Orchid Beta.  Been playing around with the plants a bit and it is really coming together.
The following 3 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Dom, Dānu, Fireball

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-16-2022, 12:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: Been a while since I updated this.  The Guppy project never really went where I wanted it to and so at the beginning of the year I went ahead and tore it down got rid of the guppies and did what I originally wanted to do.

[Image: FLrYbXUVEAEDo56?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: FLrYb25UcAA3jBX?format=jpg&name=large]

Neon Tetras and a Pink Orchid Beta.  Been playing around with the plants a bit and it is really coming together.

Nice pics mate.

Need to view images here in my quote.   Thumbs Up
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: FL_rkouWQAYUPRP?format=jpg&name=large]

Local Fish store got in some locally raise German Black Knight Rams so I moved the fish out of the 10 gallon (the beta that had been in there passed away last month) and got a pair of them.  Stunning fish.
The following 5 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, Dānu, Deesse23, Inkubus

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-19-2022, 11:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: FL_rkouWQAYUPRP?format=jpg&name=large]

Local Fish store got in some locally raise German Black Knight Rams so I moved the fish out of the 10 gallon (the beta that had been in there passed away last month) and got a pair of them.  Stunning fish.

They are indeed stunning.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • SYZ, Inkubus

[-]
Quick Reply