Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The trump chronicles (topical thread)

Carroll should just turn around and slap him with a second defamation suit!
Formerly WiCharlie Sun
The following 2 users Like Charladele's post:
  • Fireball, Bucky Ball

Five million? That's arse pocket change his retard supporters will soon gather up 5 million plus, but then the appeals will likely go on for years.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Fireball, Cavebear

(05-10-2023, 12:17 AM)Inkubus Wrote: Five million? That's arse pocket change his retard supporters will soon gather up 5 million plus, but then the appeals will likely go on for years.

You're entirely correct about the pocket change.
Due to the huge mistakes allowed by his attorneys in the deposition FOR THIS CASE, in which Trump himself discussed the Access Hollywood tape there may not be much for appeal. He basically confessed here.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-10-2023, 01:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: ... there may not be much for appeal. He basically confessed here ...

Exactly.  The fact that he didn't even show up in the courtroom to my mind erases any grounds for appeal whatsoever.  While not "contempt of court" in a legal sense, his absence was the strongest showing of contempt possible.
The following 2 users Like airportkid's post:
  • Cavebear, Joods

The important thing was the range of Trump convictions.

1. Battery - In New York, a civil claim of battery may encompass a wide range of unwanted physical contact.

2. Defamation - To prove her defamation claim, the jury had to find that Carroll’s legal team proved by the preponderance of the evidence that Trump knew it was false when he published the statement about Carroll last year and knowingly exposed her to public ridicule. They also had to determine that she proved by clear and convincing evidence that the statement was false, and that Trump made the statement with actual malice.

3. Rape - Rape of an adult is generally thought to be unwanted penetration of the penis into personal parts of a person's body. And Carrol was a bit uncertain about that in her trial testimony. She (rather understandably in the shock of the moment) was uncertain whether it was Trumps fingers or penis involved at some time in the event. For that reason, the jury could not (properly) convict Trump of a technical "rape".

But I think Carrol clearly won the court case. Not for the money, but for the judgement of the jurors. Trump is seriously punished legally, reputationally, and financially. The jury had little doubt about his criminality, reporting their verdicts in a very short time.

It seems to me that the jury collectively understood that Trump was clearly guilty of sexual crimes against her the moment they had a first vote. The discussion of a few hours was probably (my personal guess) more about negotiating the financial penalties to be assigned.

And I have to say, the discussions must have been negotiated. I mean, there was one penalty of $28,000. How do you arrive at a non-round number like that? But overall, $5 million is going to hurt and anger Trump. And the conviction surely has to distrurb some of his follwers and offer arguments against him to be used by Republican opponents.

But mostly, this was a great day for some justice...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

The Republican stance on abortion and Trump's sexual battery conviction should make him much less appealing to women voters.

Personally, I never understood why Trump's pathological lying didn't discourage more voters.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus, Joods

(05-10-2023, 10:28 AM)Alan V Wrote: The Republican stance on abortion and Trump's sexual battery conviction should make him much less appealing to women voters.

Personally, I never understood why Trump's pathological lying didn't discourage more voters.

They don't actually listen to real news. They hear what he says to them directly. And that is enough for his supporters... Trump could actually kill someone in plain sight and they wouldn't know about it on the TV they watch. Aggravated

(05-10-2023, 10:45 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Trump could actually kill someone in plain sight and they wouldn't know about it on the TV they watch. 

From what I have read, Trump's health policies resulted in hundreds of thousands of American deaths, and not just from the pandemic.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(05-10-2023, 05:13 AM)Cavebear Wrote:  the conviction surely has to distrurb some of his follwers and offer arguments against him to be used by Republican opponents.

-only took a few hours to see that hope flicker out.  His opponents are with him.  Sure, Mitt said something, but you can't even use his last name in republican politics anymore.
The following 2 users Like Rhythmcs's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus

(05-10-2023, 02:31 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 05:13 AM)Cavebear Wrote:  the conviction surely has to disturb some of his followers and offer arguments against him to be used by Republican opponents.

-only took a few hours to see that hope flicker out.  His opponents are with him.  Sure, Mitt said something, but you can't even use his last name in republican politics anymore.

In so far as Republicans continue to support such a pathological liar, they are effectively calling for an autocracy.  From Wikipedia: "Autocracy is a system of government in which absolute power over a state is concentrated in the hands of one person, whose decisions are subject neither to external legal restraints nor to regularized mechanisms of popular control."
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • isbelldl, Thumpalumpacus

(05-10-2023, 02:31 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 05:13 AM)Cavebear Wrote:  the conviction surely has to distrurb some of his follwers and offer arguments against him to be used by Republican opponents.

A decade or so before, I considered Romney an extreme fool of a Republican. Remember his statements about the 48%? Not now. He seems so moderate by comparison. That's how far weird the GOP has gone.

Mike Pence has demoted trump to "my former running mate" - as he downplayed the trial results, ofc.
The following 1 user Likes Rhythmcs's post:
  • Fireball

(05-10-2023, 05:11 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Mike Pence has demoted trump to "my former running mate" - as he downplayed the trial results, ofc.

Vice Presidents were generally ignored until Johnson took office, though I think well of Truman. And Ford had some standing in the political world. And Bush ! was experienced, as is Biden.

Damn, I've defeated my original argument on my own... Well, maybe Pence would be a good President but I have difficulty with that. Worse, what about Harris. I see no "there, there".

Pence is a souless cretin who wants the office to make his spirit daddy happy. We cant be truly surprised when he simps for the man who tried to get his followers to kill him.
The following 2 users Like Rhythmcs's post:
  • Dom, Chas

Pence was well qualified for the job as outlined here.

[Image: vice-president-quotes-2.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(05-10-2023, 07:58 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Pence was well qualified for the job as outlined here.

[Image: vice-president-quotes-2.jpg]

Wikipedia Wrote:Like most vice presidents in this era, Garner had little to do and little influence on the president's policies. He famously described the vice presidency as being "not worth a bucket of warm piss".
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote:From a CNN opinion piece about the CNN townhall:

Trump wouldn’t say he regrets January 6. He wouldn’t say which country he wants to win the war – Russia or Ukraine. Trump wouldn’t say he would not sign a national abortion ban. He wouldn’t say he lost the 2020 election. Trump even thought the US should default on its debt.

American voters, say where you stand so the record will reflect it. This means you must be able to assert: There should not be a federal abortion ban. I stand with Ukraine. Joe Biden legitimately won the 2020 election. And January 6 was an insurrection based on lies. If you cannot say these things, you have betrayed your democracy.

And Trump was cheered on by his supporters while saying all of this and spewing his typical name-calling and other lies. He's now the leader of a hate-group against democracy itself.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Deesse23, isbelldl

Always was.
The following 1 user Likes Rhythmcs's post:
  • Alan V

Quote:Trump said congressional Republicans should be open to the idea of the government defaulting as an outcome of the current debt ceiling fight.

“We might as well do it now because you’ll do it later because we have to save this country. our country is dying,” he said.

When Collins noted that Trump had said that as president it was wrong for Democrats to use the prospect of default as a negotiating tactic, he responded that he had said that “when I was president.”

“So why is it different now?” Collins asked. “Because I’m not president,” Trump shot back.

(Politico)
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Alan V

[Image: icon_quote.jpg] Alan V:

Hoomans are stupid. Very, very stupid. Also, extremely gullible. Personally, I never understood how they have survived for as long as they have.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Alan V

(05-11-2023, 12:30 PM)no one Wrote: [Image: icon_quote.jpg] Alan V:

Hoomans are stupid. Very, very stupid. Also, extremely gullible. Personally, I never understood how they have survived for as long as they have.

Sitting right behind me in the lab i have a specimen, whose mindset explains this. Its actually pretty simple (and imho Jerry professes exatly the same attitude):
All Politicians are liars, well most of them, all of the time, well at least most of the time, about all kinda things, well, not all but many things.
Trump lying ALL the time, about ALL kinda things, is not fundamentally different! Done. Trump is not special. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Accepting Trumps behaviour is always just a simple  (but VERY general) generalisation, and probably an equivocation away. All you need is a FULL GENERALisation. Just take the broadest brush you find, remove ANY nuance from your thinking, and Trump becomes acceptable. Thats why him being a convicted sexual offender will not change a bit to his harcore suporters: Clinton was "the same", Kennedy too, and i (the Trump suuporter i am emulating here) most presidents before that as well, in one opr another way, because: we dont know, so i am claiming its possibe. And if they werent sexual offenders, i bet they did some other shady stuff  "x" which i am now equivocating with Trumps behaviuoral faults. Voila: Possibly all presidents maybe have been sexual offenders or offenders of some "equal" kind. Why is Trump FUNDAMENTALLY different? He isnt.

Done.
R.I.P. Hannes

(05-11-2023, 11:29 AM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Always was.

Trump has always been this way, certainly.

But Trump is a leader of a hate-group only as long as people support him.  They could stop at any time, and they have been offered plenty of reasons to do so, including this week's sexual battery and defamation verdict against him.  We knew they didn't support our fact-based news media.  They apparently don't even support the jury system which upholds our democracy, or America's honoring its obligations which were adopted by democratic means, or the war in Ukraine to fight for democracy.  Instead, they believe in a wannabe autocrat.  IMO, that's worse than any communist threat in the 1950s.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dom, Minimalist, Thumpalumpacus

Well Deese,

Not all politicians are bad.

some are dead.

(05-10-2023, 10:28 AM)Alan V Wrote: The Republican stance on abortion and Trump's sexual battery conviction should make him much less appealing to women voters.

There's a strange "relationship" established between viewers/fans and the main characters in the programs they watch on TV.
Trump had 17 years (or so) to establish that as a game show host. They see him as the powerful "you're fired" guy sitting at the board room table.
Many of his very angry supporters both don't get the lying and enjoy it as it reflects their anger.
Test
  • Dom

(05-10-2023, 05:11 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Mike Pence has demoted trump to "my former running mate" - as he downplayed the trial results, ofc.

Pence also said he "never heard of anything like this in the 5 years they worked together" ...
except Pence said Trump should drop out of the race when he heard the Access Hollywood tape.
Guess Pence is a liar too.
Test
  • Thumpalumpacus