Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are any of you a member of an Atheist org

I have thought about it, since I am in deeply religious trump country. But, I dislike groups, and probably am just too lazy these days, too. And I have all of you guys. So, not going to happen.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • mordant

Does being a Dudist Priest and an ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster count? Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(02-14-2021, 09:38 PM)mordant Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Cavebear Wrote: WHEN the subject comes up, I mention I am an atheist.  Some people are shocked, but most are just fine with that.  The more people "fine with that" the better.  But an odd thing happens " WHEN the subject comes up".  A lot of people mention they don't have any actual religious beliefs.  They just think they should and like to talk to me about it...
The interesting thing for me is that the subject doesn't come up very often at all. Most people avoid routinely discussing religion and politics with acquaintances. It is just that things have gotten so polarized between Trumpism and the pandemic that it's hard to have reasonable thoughts about aspects of our increasingly dystopian lives, without touching on one or both topics. It has gotten harder to wall that off.

In general though people kind of sense that I'm not religious or politically conservative and just agree to disagree and don't ask me about it.

The only person who point blank asked, "you don't believe in god anymore, do you?" is my fundagelical older brother (age 78) and the sum total of his reaction to my honest answer was, "that's too bad" and then he changed the subject. I am sure he privately judges me and he has gradually started dropping hints about what I should or shouldn't be believing or embracing but it's pretty low grade and timid and responds well to just ignoring it. It helps that he lives the better part of 1000 miles away and I have excuses not to see him in person these days. Also he hardly ever calls me. So there's that.

Distance can be beneficial in family matters, LOL! Not many awkward family dinner conversations. But long-distance calls can also be enlightening. I spoke to my brother recently and he is WAY less less conservative that he was (than I thought him to be, take your choice). He loves MSNBC now. People change.

And you get surprised sometimes. I was talking to my primary care doctor, who mentioned being a Catholic, so I mentioned I was an atheist. He wasn't distressed. In fact we had a great discussion about religion. I suppose he just wanted to understand me better, but it WAS a real conversation and I found it interesting. He apparently appreciated that I took medical advice rationally.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(02-16-2021, 05:46 AM)Cavebear Wrote: ...I was talking to my primary care doctor, who mentioned being a Catholic, so I mentioned I was an atheist.  He wasn't distressed.  In fact we had a great discussion about religion.  I suppose he just wanted to understand me better, but it WAS a real conversation and I found it interesting.  He apparently appreciated that I took medical advice rationally.

I have to ask the question:  How was it that your doctor just happened to "mention" being
a Catholic?  What relevance did he think his particular religion had to do with your medical
treatment?

I've consulted with 16 doctors during the past three years, and their religion—or my lack
thereof—has never once entered into the conversation.  Although here in Australia, religion
just doesn't play any meaningful part in a day-to-day dialogue.

And most certainly, no medical professional in Australia would initiate a debate based on
his/her religion, or that of his/her patients.     Very bizarre.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(02-16-2021, 09:44 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 05:46 AM)Cavebear Wrote: ...I was talking to my primary care doctor, who mentioned being a Catholic, so I mentioned I was an atheist.  He wasn't distressed.  In fact we had a great discussion about religion.  I suppose he just wanted to understand me better, but it WAS a real conversation and I found it interesting.  He apparently appreciated that I took medical advice rationally.

I have to ask the question:  How was it that your doctor just happened to "mention" being
a Catholic?  What relevance did he think his particular religion had to do with your medical
treatment?

I've consulted with 16 doctors during the past three years, and their religion—or my lack
thereof—has never once entered into the conversation.  Although here in Australia, religion

And most certainly, no medical professional in Australia would initiate a debate based on
I wouldn't have a major malfunction with a genuine interest in my thinking but even here in 'Murica I, like you, have never had a medical professional bring up such matters. Probably happens sometimes in the South / Bible Belt, and I don't have an experience of that.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • SYZ

(02-16-2021, 09:44 AM)SYZ Wrote:

treatment?

It came from me mentioning my mixed-religion parents. I cautiously started it to see where he stood. I had a bad experience with a very religious Mormon doctor once "gout was a result of moral crimes" he said...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ, mordant

(02-15-2021, 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote: Does being a Dudist Priest and an ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster   count? Consider

I'm also a Dudist Priest.  I married my daughter last year.  

One of the great things about being an atheist....maybe THEE greatest thing....is that you don't have to go to a meeting once a week or once a month or even once a year.  Being an athiest isn't a club that you belong to.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(02-16-2021, 06:02 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote: Does being a Dudist Priest and an ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster   count? Consider

I'm also a Dudist Priest.  I married my daughter last year.  

One of the great things about being an atheist....maybe THEE greatest thing....is that you don't have to go to a meeting once a week or once a month or even once a year.  Being an athiest isn't a club that you belong to.
I assume you officiated at your daughter's wedding, rather than marrying her, lol
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dancefortwo, brunumb

(02-13-2021, 10:18 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 12:15 PM)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if any of you are members of an Atheist organization? I was thinking of joining the FFRF, as I really like what they do. We as Atheists must also make sure we have someone standing up for us in the courts, against all the crazy religious people.

I'm a card-carrying Life Member of American Atheists, Inc since about 1988(?). I used to have a card with a number and date on it but I lost my wallet once and the replacement card doesn't have a number/date. It was down in the few hundreds though. They offerred a Life Membership for like $600 then and I realized it was a GREAT DEAL. Bet they regret that now. But I have a continuing donation, so they probably do OK from me.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. It's about making sure all the religious bullshit doesn't take over the World. Especially in the US, one thing I can't stand, is when religious people, say America is a 'Christian nation' no, shut up with all that bullshit. A lot of religious people don't realize, the founding fathers of America, despised religion. I'm fully enjoy this forum and it is always the best being here with you guys, as I have no other people who are Atheists that I know, all religious, so you know how that goes for me.
The following 2 users Like Tomatoshadow2's post:
  • Dom, SYZ