Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are any of you a member of an Atheist org

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if any of you are members of an Atheist organization? I was thinking of joining the FFRF, as I really like what they do. We as Atheists must also make sure we have someone standing up for us in the courts, against all the crazy religious people.
The following 3 users Like Tomatoshadow2's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Josiah Aberhard, Cavebear

(01-18-2021, 12:15 PM)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if any of you are members of an Atheist organization? I was thinking of joining the FFRF, as I really like what they do. We as Atheists must also make sure we have someone standing up for us in the courts, against all the crazy religious people.

I'm a Lifetime Member of American Atheists.  Big Grin
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

If I had the available funds to donate, I probably would.

Fortunately, unlike dumb theists who ignorantly throw their money at the church, I have to think about myself until such a time that something like universal health care is finally implemented here.

Was just wondering if any of you are members of an Atheist organization? I was thinking of joining the FFRF, as I really like what they do.

The FFRF is not an atheist, nor an 'Atheist' organization.

Quote:We as Atheists must also make sure we have someone standing up for us in the courts, against all the crazy religious people.

There is already such a system in place, the bastards are called lawyers.

Do you have a recent example of Atheists being let down by the legal system?
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Chas, abaris

(01-18-2021, 02:31 PM)Inkubus Wrote:

Was just wondering if any of you are members of an Atheist organization? I was thinking of joining the FFRF, as I really like what they do.

Quote:We as Atheists must also make sure we have someone standing up for us in the courts, against all the crazy religious people.

"An atheist organization" is perfectly good and understandable shorthand for the FFRF.  Probably doesn't include a bunch of baptists.

I'm not, I think the trend of demographics and the tide of history is doing the heavy lifting for us and support money is better spent on politics.  (imho)

I'm not a member of any atheist organization. I don't care so much about my atheism to join one, and really only concern myself with attempts to put religion into law. Such efforts can be fought without buying a bumper-sticker or T-shirt with a scarlet-A.

I was, as a young adult, a member of People for the American Way, which I liked because it wasn't about my belief or disbelief, but about the rights guarded by our Constitution no matter one's beliefs.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Gwaithmir

It's not just atheists. I know for a fact that at least one presbyterian minister is a member. 
A lot of religious people support the separation of church and state.
Test

(01-18-2021, 10:46 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

"An atheist organization" is perfectly good and understandable shorthand for the FFRF.  Probably doesn't include a bunch of baptists.

A 'secular' organization would be a better description. Yes they have much to say regarding the misdeeds of various religions but their main focus is preventing religion from influencing real world decision making.

Good luck to them. But with the likes of Amy Barrett and Brett Cavener ensconced in the SC for the next 30 years they'll need it.

Not me. Even if there were something local for me to join, atheism is not much of a basis for common cause. It would be like a meeting for people who don't drive cars. I mean that's interesting for about 2 minutes and then ... so what?

Before the pandemic I went every Saturday morning to the local senior citizen's center for a couple of hours and played cards and shot the breeze with a half dozen other suspects. The common basis for that was the desire to pass uncomplicated time with people of similar age. There was one other atheist, and one of them was a Trump-sympathetic conservative with a very religious wife who did not like any sort of anti-god talk. But it was not a practical problem because like most people we touched lightly, if at all, on politics or religion. It is actually possible to have enjoyable conversations that don't include those topics.

Unfortunately that group may not start back up after ultimately a couple years hiatus. We're completely out of touch. The oldest guy is 92.

I interact with colleagues at work and once in a great while have a social distanced backyard dinner with two couples that we know.

As an introvert, it suffices.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • SYZ, abaris

"Are you a member of an atheist org."

Nope.
                                                         T4618

(01-19-2021, 01:39 AM)mordant Wrote: Not me. Even if there were something local for me to join, atheism is not much of a basis for common cause. It would be like a meeting for people who don't drive cars. I mean that's interesting for about 2 minutes and then ... so what?

Then they can join the "Organization for those whose TV is off", when they get bored they can join "Organization for those who are bald". 
Angel
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

What about this place?

Does that count?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

The FFRF is not an atheist, nor an 'Atheist' organization...

Good point. From its site:

What is FFRF’s purpose?

The Freedom From Religion Foundation works as an umbrella for those who are
free from religion and are committed to the cherished principle of separation of
state and church. As FFRF’s principal founder Anne Gaylor noted, "To be free from
religion is an advantage for individuals; it is a necessity for government".     The
purposes of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc. as stated in its by-laws,
are to promote the constitutional principle of separation of state and church, and
to educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.

FFRF doesn't promote itself as an atheist organisation.

—And, strictly speaking, I define myself as an "ignostic", but use the term atheist
for simplicity's sake.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Inkubus

While "atheist" is part of who I am, it is but a single attribute among many, not the defining attribute of my existence. While I did harbor some interest in organized atheist groups in the past, I found that the lack of belief in whatever isn't much to base an organization or a movement on.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ, mordant, Inkubus

Not a member of any atheist organisation, but I am a member of Humanists UK.
The following 1 user Likes Finite Monkeys's post:
  • skyking

Yep.

This one.

Atheist Discussion
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

(01-18-2021, 01:56 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

I'm a Lifetime Member of American Atheists.  Big Grin

Yes I think this would be better for me as well. @Inkubus Yes thanks for the clearfication, as much as I knew from Dan Barker, I thought since he was an Atheist, it was also a more Atheist steered org. I even read articles that say its an Atheist org, guess its just one small part.

I have not yet aligned myself with any atheist organization...but I'm courting one.

Babyrecipes.org
Knockoutnana.com
Collectingsoulsforsatan.net
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • skyking, Finite Monkeys

(02-12-2021, 11:20 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote: I have not yet aligned myself with any atheist organization...but I'm courting one.

Why do you feel the "need" to align yourself with an atheist organisation—whatever that is?
Don't you have the self-confidence in order to be comfortable with your own atheistic status?  
Why do you apparently need the support of an external agency?  Are you perhaps uncertain
of your own atheistic state of mind?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

I'm a card-carrying Life Member of American Atheists, Inc since about 1988(?). I used to have a card with a number and date on it but I lost my wallet once and the replacement card doesn't have a number/date. It was down in the few hundreds though. They offerred a Life Membership for like $600 then and I realized it was a GREAT DEAL. Bet they regret that now. But I have a continuing donation, so they probably do OK from me.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(02-13-2021, 08:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 11:20 PM)Josiah Aberhard Wrote: I have not yet aligned myself with any atheist organization...but I'm courting one.

Why do you feel the "need" to align yourself with an atheist organisation—whatever that is?
Don't you have the self-confidence in order to be comfortable with your own atheistic status?  
Why do you apparently need the support of an external agency?  Are you perhaps uncertain

It's the same reason I joined this site: to join a community of like-minded people. It has nothing to do with self confidence. We are social animals and crave bonds that we cannot get by sitting alone in a room staring at the wall. And no, I am not uncertain of my own atheistic state of mind. May I ask why the interrogation?

(02-13-2021, 08:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:

I have "the self-confidence in order to be comfortable with [my] own atheistic status". The difference is that I want to support the advancement of the idea in a very political world where numbers matter in influencing governmental and social acceptance. I want to make the world a better place for atheists to live in. As gays discovered some decades ago, you don't get that by hiding in the closet afraid of what people think.

WHEN the subject comes up, I mention I am an atheist. Some people are shocked, but most are just fine with that. The more people "fine with that" the better. But an odd thing happens " WHEN the subject comes up". A lot of people mention they don't have any actual religious beliefs. They just think they should and like to talk to me about it...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(02-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Cavebear Wrote: WHEN the subject comes up, I mention I am an atheist.  Some people are shocked, but most are just fine with that.  The more people "fine with that" the better.  But an odd thing happens " WHEN the subject comes up".  A lot of people mention they don't have any actual religious beliefs.  They just think they should and like to talk to me about it...
The interesting thing for me is that the subject doesn't come up very often at all. Most people avoid routinely discussing religion and politics with acquaintances. It is just that things have gotten so polarized between Trumpism and the pandemic that it's hard to have reasonable thoughts about aspects of our increasingly dystopian lives, without touching on one or both topics. It has gotten harder to wall that off.

In general though people kind of sense that I'm not religious or politically conservative and just agree to disagree and don't ask me about it.

The only person who point blank asked, "you don't believe in god anymore, do you?" is my fundagelical older brother (age 78) and the sum total of his reaction to my honest answer was, "that's too bad" and then he changed the subject. I am sure he privately judges me and he has gradually started dropping hints about what I should or shouldn't be believing or embracing but it's pretty low grade and timid and responds well to just ignoring it. It helps that he lives the better part of 1000 miles away and I have excuses not to see him in person these days. Also he hardly ever calls me. So there's that.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Cavebear