Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you dress when you go out for dinner?

I've been noticing a trend where people feel comfortable going to restaurants wearing clothing that really doesn't look like it belongs -at least not in any circles I travel. The kind of restaurant I'm thinking of has table service, elegant décor, and the staff will offer dark napkins for patrons wearing dark clothing. Wine glasses will typically already be on the table, and there might be nice, ambient music that is low enough that people can converse without screaming.

What's up with going to these establishments in hoodies, camouflage, pants slung down across the hips, and/or three young children in tow?

How do you dress when you go out for dinner? What's a mundane place where you dress like whatever, and what's a place where you're willing to comb your hair and put on a pair of pants and a clean shirt?
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aroura, Kim, GenesisNemesis, Peebothuhlu

I've never dined anywhere fancy.

When I dine at a general restaurant, I dress casually.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Aliza, SYZ

We dress to the scale of the place. A couple nice Italian places we go to, nice jeans and a button down shirt and maybe a jacket. It doesn't bother me if others dress like they're at the beach and on their fifth Corona or whatever but I would be a little self-conscious if I were too dressed down.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aliza

Genitals covered. Everything else is optional.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aliza, SYZ, Peebothuhlu

(01-10-2021, 03:40 AM)Aliza Wrote: I've been noticing a trend where people feel comfortable going to restaurants wearing clothing that really doesn't look like it belongs -at least not in any circles I travel. The kind of restaurant I'm thinking of has table service, elegant décor, and the staff will offer dark napkins for patrons wearing dark clothing. Wine glasses will typically already be on the table, and there might be nice, ambient music that is low enough that people can converse without screaming.

What's up with going to these establishments in hoodies, camouflage, pants slung down across the hips, and/or three young children in tow?

How do you dress when you go out for dinner? What's a mundane place where you dress like whatever, and what's a place where you're willing to comb your hair and put on a pair of pants and a clean shirt?

It all depends where we're going. I'm not putting on a tux for the local Applebee's, but I'm probably doing a coat and tie if we're going downtown to Elway's. We've got a steak house here where you can easily drop 300 to 400 bucks on dinner for four that frowns on slacks and ties, preferring jeans and work shirts. Targeted clientele means just as much as much as dining quality, at least it does in the mountain west.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Phaedrus

In fancy restaurants I dress fancy, in casual restaurants I dress casual. I love beautiful clothes and fabrics so I take the opportunity to wear them when I get the chance.  I even dress casual-nice when I go to the movies but I haven't been to the movies in a year because of.... you-know-what.   

I do not understand people going to the store in their pajamas.  I've seen girls in the store who take the time to put on a bunch of makeup but it's just too much trouble to throw on a pair of blue jeans.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aliza, Kim, KittyAnn, Chas

(01-10-2021, 03:57 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 03:40 AM)Aliza Wrote: I've been noticing a trend where people feel comfortable going to restaurants wearing clothing that really doesn't look like it belongs -at least not in any circles I travel. The kind of restaurant I'm thinking of has table service, elegant décor, and the staff will offer dark napkins for patrons wearing dark clothing. Wine glasses will typically already be on the table, and there might be nice, ambient music that is low enough that people can converse without screaming.

It all depends where we're going. I'm not putting on a tux for the local Applebee's, but I'm probably doing a coat and tie if we're going downtown to Elway's. We've got a steak house here where you can easily drop 300 to 400 bucks on dinner for four that frowns on slacks and ties, preferring jeans and work shirts. Targeted clientele means just as much as much as dining quality, at least it does in the mountain west.

Yes, agreed! Price range does not need to equal an elevated dress code. But if the tenor of the restaurant has always been casual, then no decline has occurred when people show up dressed casually.

For me, $300-$400 is a lot of money, and for that, I damn well better enjoy my evening. That may mean not having people's kids crying or running around the restaurant. I would also prefer not to see people dressed like 1980's hookers (example pulled from very recent experience).
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

Just as no one wears a coreset and bustle with a hat and parasol (for the gals) or a cravat and spats, waistcoat and gloves (for the gents) to a nice restaurant anymore, acceptable dress codes change over time, and they tend to trend towards more casual over the last 100 years. or so. Used to be men had to wear slacks and suspenders to do yard work, and they put on a matching jacket to walk down to the post office or for a walk in the park. 100 years ago, middle class women had a day dress and a evening dress, and uncovered/unbound hair was a big deal.

Personally, I don't go to very fancy places much anymore. I actually can't remember the last time I was in a place that had wine glasses on the table. But back when I did go to such places, I wore my LBD, or else an actual gown, because at that time I was part of a fairly wealthy family that really insisted on dressing way, way up for dinner. Even holiday dinners were slacks and a fancy sweater minimum.

Now, I tend to wear jeans and a nice sweater pretty much any time I'm out, or jeans and a nice blouse in the summer. Sweats and tshirts are for around the house (or walking out to the park). For any restaurant I go to, this is more than acceptably nice. I'm sometimes personally a little shocked at the number of leggings on middle aged heavy ladies, and t-shirts and cargo shorts on men of the same, but who am I to judge? This is just becoming more acceptable. Part of it may be the rejection of classism in the younger crowd.

My point being, like all human constructs (language, taboos, art) it's something that's constantly evolving.
The following 3 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Aliza, Phaedrus, Dancefortwo

Depends...  Tongue  on the restaurant.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Phaedrus

I'm not a big restaurant fanatic. My favorite thing is to just bring home a thing of sushi, kettle chips, and some sweet, all from the supermarket in addition to actual groceries. But, my parents like to go, and if I don't dress in long khaki pants that actually fit, a proper belt that is tight enough, and a button up shirt or polo , I get nagged, and it gets annoying. In the rare instance I push out to the local Mexican restaurant on my own, I am always casual. Usually basketball-style shorts and a block letter college tee or blank tee. I do have two tourist tees from Aruba and St. Maarten, though, which I like. Depending on weather, I also have three hoodies (one from my former university, one from a pro baseball team where I have relatives, and one from the 2010 College Cup, which is the NCAA's Final Four for soccer. I went to the men's version that year up at UCSB).

Whilst on cruises from FL to the Dutch Caribbean, USVI and Haiti, we would get together for dinner on the ship, and it would be encouraged for the men to wear a shirt and tie, and jacket if possible. It's nice in a way, but I ADORE being comfortable, and that kind of dress goes against that.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Phaedrus

We rarely go out to eat (in normal times) as we can make things better ourselves, the service is invariably bad and annoying to downright awful. Why go pay to get pissed off ? In general I'm always over-dressed as I have to work and do rounds, or be on call, and then I change into scrubs, or throw on a white coat. I never know when I'll get paged to come into a meeting and explain some data with the hospital admins and department docs, so I have to be presentable pretty much every day. They tease me cuz even on casual Fridays, I'm always dressed up, slacks and polo shirts. I don't wear ties. People dress according to their self-respect. Some have none. The classiest lady I know, ... she and her husband have more money than god ... they spend their time serving "loaves and fishes" to the homeless, she wears an ironed jeans shirt, and nicely tailored black slacks kind of as her "uniform". She looks great, always. Sometimes I wear thick very white (expensive Sad ) white t-shirts, but not as much as I used to. They look dressy, in a way.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Dancefortwo

In winter I get dressed up when I go out for dinner, which for me is jeans, t-shirt, shoes and a leather jacket.
But in summer it gets too hot here.
I then usually wear thongs (feet), footy shorts and a singlet for a counter meal at the pub.
I might chuck on a t-shirt, knee length shorts and casual shoes if it's a restaurant.
The following 2 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • c172, SYZ

Do you have one of those cork hats or are those just for naive American tourists?
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Little Lunch

I suppose they were real at one time.
There certainly are parts of Aus where the flies and mozzies will drive you bonkers.

Girl_yes2
[Image: f426c4200e4b7519b59255ab5fbbb4e0.jpg]
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 4 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Little Lunch, Phaedrus, Aliza, Aroura

How other people are dressed at a restaurant doesn’t bother me (although kids running around the restaurant and putting themselves and servers at risk does annoy).  I figure their clothes are appropriate to their day, and that the restaurant exists to provide a convenience to its customers, not the other way around.  

In normal times we eat out relatively frequently and I wear whatever I dressed in for that day.  Most days that’s either skinny jeans and a top or a skirt and a top.  

We very rarely go for anything higher priced than Legal Seafoods and avoid places with a dress code fancier than shirt and shoes.   Neither of us has an advanced enough palate to tell the difference in food tastiness, and also I feel super uncomfortable at the level of obsequiousness that high end places force on their servers.   

I’ve never been in a restaurant where the napkins are color coordinated to the diners’ outfits.  Didn’t realize that was a thing.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Little Lunch, Aroura

My idea of going out to dinner is a visit to Burger King or KFC. I wear casual clothes and an old jacket.  Winking
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dānu, Aliza, Aroura, SYZ

I wear everyday clothes when I eat out as I don't go to fancy restaurants. Not that that I could even find them where I live in the first place.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Aliza

Jeans and T-shirt. If it's a really fancy place, I might put on a blouse of sorts instead of the T-shirt. Before I retired I ate out a lot, and often at very fancy places (usually at the client's cost). It was good, I like good food, but since retirement some 10 years ago, you can count my visits to restaurants on your fingers, and those were run of the mill diners.

I can cook up great meals at home for a fraction of the cost, and I live remote, so why bother driving on and on for meals I can do just as well at home?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aliza, Aroura, SYZ

It's been a while since I've eaten fancy, but I dress up a little -- good jeans, button-up shirt, perhaps a tie if I'm in the mood, cowboy boots. I'm not a clothes-horse but I do like getting togged out on occasion. I don't really worry about how others are dressed so long as I can't smell them.

Dress up a little: Bartlett's in Austin, Ferraro's in Ventura.

Who cares?: Yaghi's Pizza, All-Star Burgers.
On hiatus.

We don't go out to dinner anymore.  Arizona is a hotspot. 

Dress in Arizona tends to the casual.  I once saw one moron at the opera in shorts and sandals.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I've never gone to opera but I do go to ballet performances, and it's the same. Some dress to the gills, but one guy could have been Silent Bob.
Is this sig thing on?

(01-10-2021, 04:18 AM)Aroura Wrote:
Just as no one wears a coreset and bustle with a hat and parasol (for the gals) or a cravat and spats, waistcoat and gloves (for the gents) to a nice restaurant anymore, acceptable dress codes change over time, and they tend to trend towards more casual over the last 100 years. or so.  

I think you hit the nail on the head here: the dress code for all spaces has grown increasingly informal over time. But is that a good thing? I appreciate that there are spaces where formality is not important. In the context of dining, fast food restaurants are totally informal. -I don’t eat in fast food restaurants, but I have an image in my head about the look of many people who go into these establishments. No one “dresses” for McDonalds, and sometimes people literally just show up in their pajamas. (Maybe seeing people like this feeds into the connection I see between fast food and unhealthy living.)

I think the act of donning certain clothing puts us in the mind of a certain set of social rules. People wear their Sunday best to their church service to reinforce the specialness of the space they’re in. (Obviously that’s not a perfect example for us, but other people do this.) There’s a reason that we wear business clothing to work, why we dress for the job when we interview, and why some schools put young children in school uniforms. We’re setting the tone for conduct with our clothing, so what’s it saying when we start blurring those lines?
  • Dancefortwo

(01-10-2021, 08:23 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Girl_yes2
[Image: f426c4200e4b7519b59255ab5fbbb4e0.jpg]

This is an excellent choice, Deesse. I'd totally go out to dinner with you while you're wearing this.  Tongue
  • Deesse23

Don't forget that a lot of people do not own fancy clothes, and obtaining them is not in their budget or interest in their normal lives. But, maybe they do like to splurge on some great meal or performance some time.

There is a class divide in clothing.

Personally, I could have afforded it, but I didn't see the point of hanging it up in the closet for a year to find out it wasn't fashionable anymore. Screw that. Tongue
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aroura, julep