Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mafia Game #12 Peacock Mafia

(01-08-2021, 05:28 PM)pocaracas Wrote: So guys.... fair warning: during this work from home pandemic, I've been having a Friday night UT session with some friends and colleagues that starts at 9pm, UK time. This means I'll be away for the final two hours of this day.

Until then, I'd still like to hear from Tarty and a bit more from Mathilda

In the absence of any strong scum leans at this point, I will join you on Tarty as a vote for a null/antu-town/possibly scum player.... need to hear something helpful from him otherwise it just hinders town going forward...

Vote Tarty

As for Mathilda, would also like to hear more from her, but at present feels pretty normal as to how she's playing, including her vote for me.
The following 1 user Likes emjay's post:
  • Mathilda

(01-08-2021, 08:27 AM)pocaracas Wrote: Pailzor, hi! Why did you use the lynch tag for nobody? Seems a bit silly.
New to the forum. Wanted to try the vote tag out to see if it did more than just color and bold. I assume the unvote tag I've seen works the same way.

(01-08-2021, 08:27 AM)pocaracas Wrote: 2) Pailzor - So far I see only fluff. Let's ruffle some feathers, noob!
But... My feathers are so slick and shiny! They need proper attention and care!

I tend to lurk and listen on forums. Or I guess just in new places in general. I also wanted to say something to show that I'm here, so in-theme fluff to show appreciation to Aliza for hosting.

(01-08-2021, 06:43 PM)Pailzor Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 08:27 AM)pocaracas Wrote: Pailzor, hi! Why did you use the lynch tag for nobody? Seems a bit silly.
New to the forum. Wanted to try the vote tag out to see if it did more than just color and bold. I assume the unvote tag I've seen works the same way.

(01-08-2021, 08:27 AM)pocaracas Wrote: 2) Pailzor - So far I see only fluff. Let's ruffle some feathers, noob!

I tend to lurk and listen on forums. Or I guess just in new places in general. I also wanted to say something to show that I'm here, so in-theme fluff to show appreciation to Aliza for hosting.

I'm not exactly sure how to pet a Peacock, but if I give you a bird bath Wink will you at least share some opinions on the game?... just say whatever you're thinking, cos it all helps others to read you. For a start, are you finding it interesting, and do you have any opinions on any players so far? I just hope you're having fun in the game and not feeling overwhelmed or anything?

(01-08-2021, 02:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: ok read list lets see how this goes *loads up the shade thrower*

1) emjay very chatty lot of fluff could just be trying to get conversation going Neutral to Weak Town lean

2) Pailzor a few fluff posts and then disappears could be bebe scum unsure how to blend Weak Scum lean

3) Tartarus Sauce Goofball play is his MO but he leans heavy into it when scum Moderate Scum Lean

4) Aroura So far they have played their typical opening gambit Neutral

5) Mathilda Not enough posts to get a handle so far so defaults to Weak Scum

6) Pocaracas Checked in early before dipping out came back in with a good catch-up post (yes He/Him are fine for me) Weak Town

7) Aegon Started a train on a player saying they were off for the night then disappeared when questioned still has not explained the logic in that.  Moderate Scum lean

8) Paleophyte Biggest tell so far is in correcting the Lynch order which is very much a Town move so Weak to moderate Town read as of yet

My basis is everyone starts as weak scum lean in these games and the more helpful to town you get the more moderate town I rank you.  As far as how experienced I am I used to play a lot on TTA but those were far different games not gagged most of the conversations happening off board for this style I have only played a handful but know some of the strats  anyway that is my Suss list.

Gah I can't even read this unless I highlight it with my cursor. Obvious scum move to distract us from spending too long reading it because we fear a migraine and tired squinty eyes.

Might as well just throw your hands now and confess.

Unvote
Vote Revenant77x

(01-08-2021, 06:43 PM)Pailzor Wrote:

Did you provide a reads list yet?

(01-08-2021, 03:08 PM)Aegon Wrote: Well, I suppose the specific verbiage emjay used is a little "sus" if we can bring Among Us terms into this game (and Among Us is just Mafia with extra steps). "I was just debating commenting on that, so I think I'll follow suit..." could be B.S.  I'm not currently inclined to believe it is though.

I've been leaning around 65% that emjay's mafia, since he's the only peafowl of you all that I know and can potentially read. Not enough to vote the first day, though.

(01-08-2021, 05:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:
[Image: 1200px-Afropavo_congensis_-Antwerp_Zoo_-pair-8a.jpg]
Congo Peacock

The Congo peafowl is native to the Congo basin in Africa. The hen is in front and the male is behind her displaying his rather unimpressive tail. Still all of the ingredients for being a peacock are clearly present. This bird is a member of the pheasant family, there is sexual dimorphism between the male and female, the tail can be fanned out and displayed, there are eyespots present on the feathers, the feathers are iridescent, and both sexes have head crests.

Is that the Mob Boss peahen, then? Big Grin
Also, I didn't even notice that front peacock for about 20 seconds while reading your post. xD

(01-08-2021, 07:11 PM)Pailzor Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 03:08 PM)Aegon Wrote: Well, I suppose the specific verbiage emjay used is a little "sus" if we can bring Among Us terms into this game (and Among Us is just Mafia with extra steps). "I was just debating commenting on that, so I think I'll follow suit..." could be B.S.  I'm not currently inclined to believe it is though.

I've been leaning around 65% that emjay's mafia, since he's the only peafowl of you all that I know and can potentially read. Not enough to vote the first day, though.

It's like that is it? lol. Glad to see that you are playing... any particular reason for this read?

(01-08-2021, 07:13 PM)Pailzor Wrote: Is that the Mob Boss peahen, then? Big Grin
Also, I didn't even notice that front peacock for about 20 seconds while reading your post. xD

The sexual discrimination in the peafowl community is a real problem.   Dodgy
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Pailzor, Tartarus Sauce, Aroura

[Image: 5726095480_ee536d59a9.jpg]
India Blue Peacock

Vote Count 3

Pocaracas:  1 voteAegon #6, Aroura #63)

Aegon:  2 votes (Aurora #10emjay #11, Paleophyte #12, Revenant #18, Mathilda #47)

Tartarus Sauce: 4 votes (Tartarus Sauce #26, Pocaracas #43Aegon #55, Revanant #73, emjay #76)

emjay: 0 votes  (Mathilda #49)

Revenant: 1 vote (Mathilda #79)

* high vote
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • emjay

(01-08-2021, 07:16 PM)emjay Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:11 PM)Pailzor Wrote:

It's like that is it? lol. Glad to see that you are playing... any particular reason for this read?

You're a follower, not a leader, and won't start something on your own at the beginning of a game. Someone else starting a vote is the perfect opportunity to jump on an extra kill with the scapegoat of "it's to get the game rolling". And then every post has been overly helpful (unnecessarily so at times) the rest of the game to potentially try and throw us further off the trail.

But, you likely have the most time of anyone to pay attention to the thread, leading to more posts from you, and it's Aliza's first time hosting a game, so some of the help is warranted.

So in all, that only turns it about 65% your way with nothing more substantial to go on yet.

And, with the above post, I'd like to reveal my role as Town Psychologist/Criminologist. Big Grin

Fuck me, I can't believe I just lost my reads list halfway through, I had two tabs open, one to keep tabs on the player list, and I somehow deep-sixed my entire post in the process.

Expect reads list soon.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • Aroura, pocaracas

(01-08-2021, 07:51 PM)Pailzor Wrote: And, with the above post, I'd like to reveal my role as Town Psychologist/Criminologist. Big Grin

[Image: bmD.gif]
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

(01-08-2021, 07:33 PM)Pailzor Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:16 PM)emjay Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:11 PM)Pailzor Wrote: I've been leaning around 65% that emjay's mafia, since he's the only peafowl of you all that I know and can potentially read. Not enough to vote the first day, though.

You're a follower, not a leader, and won't start something on your own at the beginning of a game. Someone else starting a vote is the perfect opportunity to jump on an extra kill with the scapegoat of "it's to get the game rolling". And then every post has been overly helpful (unnecessarily so at times) the rest of the game to potentially try and throw us further off the trail.

But, you likely have the most time of anyone to pay attention to the thread, leading to more posts from you, and it's Aliza's first time hosting a game, so some of the help is warranted.

So in all, that only turns it about 65% your way with nothing more substantial to go on yet.

Thanks, I wanted to have some insight into your thought process and this is it... just need something to help me read you.

As to being overly helpful. The problem is, rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly, since I introduced you to the game, and because I have a tendency to get lost in my head, in the sense of worrying about things like how you're feeling etc, I just wanted to make sure you were enjoying the game and understanding the game. My general feeling, again rightly or wrongly, is that noobs should generally be given a pass - at least for one day - and even more so because you're my friend and I'm hoping you leave with positive impressions of this game, so have erred on the side of helping rather than attacking you. But I know that RNG is no respecter of anything so you could go either way, but just saying I was basically giving you a nooby pass. This post from you now though, finally goes beyond fluff, so is helpful in reading you better, and your observations seem honest and analytical, so slight lean town on you now.

Anyway, it's good to see people are finally playing and enough activity has been generated for a semi-viable reads list to be generated. Commentary will be shorter than originally planned to due to accidentally deleting the whole thing first go around. 

Aegon: Neutral. Made an ill-advised instavote on Poca right at the beginning, but would need to be a very half-baked scum to think pulling that shit and dipping for the day was something that was actually going to fly. 

Aroura: Weak Town Lean. Doing her usual helpful opening play with early reads list. IIRC (and it's been awhile since I played with her regularly so I might not), this has made her very successful at avoiding getting lynched on day one, and I see no reason to break with that norm right now. 

Emjay: Very Weak Scum Lean. Don't remember his playstyle very well, but he did kick off the wagon on Aegon. 

Mathilda: Moderate Scum Lean. Joined late, has made three posts, voting for three different candidates in each one, including a joke vote for Rev when she should have been joining him in wagoning me and being a Johnny-come-lately on the Aegon wagon. 

Pailzor: Neutral. Not good at reading clueless noobs. 

Paleophyte: Weak Town Lean. Pointed out a lynch vote order correction for the moderator. 

Pocaracas: Neutral. Can't blame a man for voting for me, especially with such solid reasoning (and admit it Poca, you love playing with me Big Grin). 

Revenant: Neutral. Way too damn good a player to make a first day read on. 

Unvote
Vote Mathilda

We've got three hours people, let's get these wagons rolling.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-08-2021, 07:51 PM)Pailzor Wrote: And, with the above post, I'd like to reveal my role as Town Psychologist/Criminologist. Big Grin

Don't give up your day job Big Grin

Lynching Tarty on day one is so 2015, and there is enough weight on that wagon that my vote won't change that, so I'm leaving it where it is for now. I don't think poca answered my question?

(01-08-2021, 07:58 PM)emjay Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:33 PM)Pailzor Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:16 PM)emjay Wrote: It's like that is it? lol. Glad to see that you are playing... any particular reason for this read?

Thanks, I wanted to have some insight into your thought process and this is it... just need something to help me read you.

As to being overly helpful. The problem is, rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly, since I introduced you to the game, and because I have a tendency to get lost in my head, in the sense of worrying about things like how you're feeling etc, I just wanted to make sure you were enjoying the game and understanding the game. My general feeling, again rightly or wrongly, is that noobs should generally be given a pass - at least for one day - and even more so because you're my friend and I'm hoping you leave with positive impressions of this game, so have erred on the side of helping rather than attacking you. But I know that RNG is no respecter of anything so you could go either way, but just saying I was basically giving you a nooby pass. This post from you now though, finally goes beyond fluff, so is helpful in reading you better, and your observations seem honest and analytical, so slight lean town on you now.

I've told you I've played multiple times in real life though, with basic roles (2 mafia, 1 cop, sometimes a doctor, and villagers), so I know how the game works. The Wiki has been linked so I can see the more detailed roles, so it was just down to learning your group's etiquette. A day's been enough for that, I think, such as seeing there's a request for a read list, which I think I've supplied enough for the first day of getting to know everyone a bit.
The following 1 user Likes Pailzor's post:
  • Aroura

(01-08-2021, 05:11 PM)pocaracas Wrote: To answer both in one go.... why would I jump on a well formed wagon on a player that was most certainly asleep (at the time I voted)?
The wagon existed, pressure was on.... might as well poke on a few more places. I'm sad that this one hasn't even deigned to surface.
And I hate playing with Tarty. When town, he always makes himself look scum. When scum, he still makes himself look scum... so why not vote for him and maybe remove the uncertainty from subsequent days?

Ok nm, he did answer and I didn't even do a good job asking, plus ths answer makes a lot of sense.

BUT, now he's unvoted himself, posted a read list and is playing normally (Tarty that is), so I'm still not inclined to jump on that wagon. Not only that, but I agree with his read on Mathilda.

So, since Poca has answered

Unvote

Ans since Mathilda is all over the place.

Vote Mathilda

At this point Revenant and Mathilda are pinging my "scumdar" the most. I should be back around 5 pm ET.

Vote Revenant
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

(01-08-2021, 08:09 PM)Pailzor Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:58 PM)emjay Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 07:33 PM)Pailzor Wrote: You're a follower, not a leader, and won't start something on your own at the beginning of a game. Someone else starting a vote is the perfect opportunity to jump on an extra kill with the scapegoat of "it's to get the game rolling". And then every post has been overly helpful (unnecessarily so at times) the rest of the game to potentially try and throw us further off the trail.

I've told you I've played multiple times in real life though, with basic roles (2 mafia, 1 cop, sometimes a doctor, and villagers), so I know how the game works. The Wiki has been linked so I can see the more detailed roles, so it was just down to learning your group's etiquette. A day's been enough for that, I think, such as seeing there's a request for a read list, which I think I've supplied enough for the first day of getting to know everyone a bit.

I know, I just assumed that the RL game of this, is very different. Basically quick mafia, where every phase is over in just a few minutes based on real visual and audio cues, is very different from forum mafia. If I misunderstood you and you've actually played forum mafia before, I'm sorry.

But anyway, none of that matters any more. I can see now that you're into it and understanding it, so can we move on?

(01-08-2021, 08:13 PM)Aroura Wrote: BUT, now he's unvoted himself, posted a read list and is playing normally (Tarty that is), so I'm still not inclined to jump on that wagon.  Not only that, but I agree with his read on Mathilda.

So, since Poca has answered

Unvote

Ans since Mathilda is all over the place.

Vote Mathilda

I like Tarty's response (his read list), so am willing to unvote him...

Unvote

And agree that Mathilda is a bit all over the place... in the sense that joke votes are hard to read and could go either way, so I'll join you on her...

Vote Mathilda
The following 1 user Likes emjay's post:
  • Aroura

(01-08-2021, 04:50 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I'm to bed too. These are crap reads based on too little info but I may not be back before lynchtime:

emjay  - weak town based on engagement and activity
Aroura -  neutral based on good start but little follow-through
Revenant - neutral based on few posts but at least not fluff
Pailzor - weak scum based on lotsa fluff and no vote. Hard to distinguish the scumsign from the n0bsign though..
Tartarus Sauce - weak scum based on pure fluff and no vote
Pocaracas - weak scum based on 1st post and subsequent vanishing act
Aegon - weak scum based on pressuring absent Poca and then vanishing
Mathilda - Gone a waltzing?

(01-08-2021, 05:13 AM)Aroura Wrote: Well, not much info or posting, but that seems pretty typical of day 1 in general, and the first half of day one in particular.

I see no reason to change my vote, though I see now that Aegon did say he wouldn't post much due to work.  Hopefully he can find time to post tomorrow.

My only reads:
Emjay: slight town for jumping right on my vote because that looks scummy.  WIFOM? Maybe, it's just very bold for a scum for the first game we've played right out of the gate.
Paleo: Slight town for correcting the vote order, because indeed that is one of the best tools we have for scum hunting as the game progresses.
Tarty: Slight scum for voting for himself (which is normal), but trying to stick with it past the joking stage.
Aegon: Very slight scum for missing that he voted for an absent person.  That being said, if he went off to be busy, he might not have really paid attention, and just voted for the only person who had posted to get the ball rolling.  So very slight.

Nothing really on anyone else, poca and Rev not enough posts to go on for anything.  Mathilda just being missing, hopefully showing up later today.

(01-08-2021, 08:27 AM)pocaracas Wrote: Where's the player list?.... ah, first post... damn all this rust!

1) emjay - So far leaning townie, with some helping comments for pailzor... however meaningless that may be...
2) Pailzor - So far I see only fluff. Let's ruffle some feathers, noob!
3) Tartarus Sauce - Idiotically voting for himself. Why???
4) Aroura - For putting pressure on Aegon to explain himself, leaning town.
5) Mathilda - zzzzzzzz
6) Pocaracas - Got here first, went out first... he's back, now.
7) Aegon - First to vote. Trying to put pressure on a player who was going away.... and then he just disappeared. Odd.
8) Revenant - Head in the game. Already excusing himself (am I using the right pronoun here?) if we end up linching a townie... though I gotta agree with the excuse.
9) Paleophyte - Lots of posting. First to put up a reads list... perhaps a bit prematurely?

(01-08-2021, 05:22 AM)emjay Wrote: Anyhoo, my read list is as follows:
1. Poca... and Aroura. I like your analysis but also recognise that it is, as always, kind of hedgy. Same feel kind of for Aroura. I'm not reading anything into it yet but just saying that since you two seem to be pretty comfortable writing wordy read lists etc when you are scum, I have to be extra cautious with you guys. So for me it's just a case of 'need to see more' with you two, but tentatively I feel neutral to slight town on both of you, Aroura especially since I also agree with her reason for her vote.
2. Pailzor... as has been said, fluffy, which could go either way. Need to see more.
3. Tarty is another one of those unpredictable players... so not out of character for him to vote for himself, but like someone said, perhaps a bad sign if he persists with it.
4. Aegon... voted for you then disappeared with a wagon on him, but he did say in the signup thread that his posting was going to be restricted because of work. So I'd say that's inconclusive... would like to see his response.
5. Paleo... like his read list, and the initiative to post it, so he's my townies lean at the moment I'd say.
6. Revenant... not sure yet any way... looks like a pro-ish player from the way they talk... so will take me a bit longer to form an opinion on them.
7. Mathilda... not here so cannot judge.

(01-08-2021, 02:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: ok read list lets see how this goes *loads up the shade thrower*

1) emjay very chatty lot of fluff could just be trying to get conversation going Neutral to Weak Town lean

2) Pailzor a few fluff posts and then disappears could be bebe scum unsure how to blend Weak Scum lean

3) Tartarus Sauce Goofball play is his MO but he leans heavy into it when scum Moderate Scum Lean

4) Aroura So far they have played their typical opening gambit Neutral

5) Mathilda Not enough posts to get a handle so far so defaults to Weak Scum

6) Pocaracas Checked in early before dipping out came back in with a good catch-up post (yes He/Him are fine for me) Weak Town

7) Aegon Started a train on a player saying they were off for the night then disappeared when questioned still has not explained the logic in that.  Moderate Scum lean

8) Paleophyte Biggest tell so far is in correcting the Lynch order which is very much a Town move so Weak to moderate Town read as of yet

My basis is everyone starts as weak scum lean in these games and the more helpful to town you get the more moderate town I rank you.  As far as how experienced I am I used to play a lot on TTA but those were far different games not gagged most of the conversations happening off board for this style I have only played a handful but know some of the strats  anyway that is my Suss list.

(01-08-2021, 03:15 PM)Aegon Wrote: Real quick read list before I go back to working:

emjay - soft town lean, could also be doing a splendid job of blending in as scum as Mathilda hinted at
Pailzor - no lean, noob
Tartarus Sauce -  No lean, just humorous posts as far as I can tell.
Aroura - soft town lean, I think she's doing things right in town's favor
Mathilda - soft scum lean, currently confused by her logic and votes
Pocaracas - the softest of town leans, not entirely sure
Aegon - definitely town
Paleophyte - soft scum lean, he voted me for voting for poca, since poca was going to bed, and yet he himself said poca had staged a "vanishing act." these ideas contradict one another if I'm reading his posts correctly.

(01-08-2021, 08:06 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: Anyway, it's good to see people are finally playing and enough activity has been generated for a semi-viable reads list to be generated. Commentary will be shorter than originally planned to due to accidentally deleting the whole thing first go around. 

Aegon: Neutral. Made an ill-advised instavote on Poca right at the beginning, but would need to be a very half-baked scum to think pulling that shit and dipping for the day was something that was actually going to fly. 

Aroura: Weak Town Lean. Doing her usual helpful opening play with early reads list. IIRC (and it's been awhile since I played with her regularly so I might not), this has made her very successful at avoiding getting lynched on day one, and I see no reason to break with that norm right now. 

Emjay: Very Weak Scum Lean. Don't remember his playstyle very well, but he did kick off the wagon on Aegon. 

Mathilda: Moderate Scum Lean. Joined late, has made three posts, voting for three different candidates in each one, including a joke vote for Rev when she should have been joining him in wagoning me and being a Johnny-come-lately on the Aegon wagon. 

Pailzor: Neutral. Not good at reading clueless noobs. 

Paleophyte: Weak Town Lean. Pointed out a lynch vote order correction for the moderator. 

Pocaracas: Neutral. Can't blame a man for voting for me, especially with such solid reasoning (and admit it Poca, you love playing with me Big Grin). 

Revenant: Neutral. Way too damn good a player to make a first day read on. 

So here are all the read lists in one place, a good reference for later in the game.
I'd like to note the only players who didn't follow through are the new guy (excusable on day 1, he's new) and Mathilda, a very seasoned player, and less excusable, so my vote stays where it is for now.

@Mathilda can you post a read list for us?  Any reason you are just popping in to vote and not much else?

I'd also like to note that Paleo posted this read list quite some time go and I don't think he's posted again since?  So that changes my read to more neutral or even weak scum.  Kinda lurky.
The following 2 users Like Aroura's post:
  • emjay, Revenant77x