Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ravens parallel great apes in physical and social cognitive skills

They can plan, suspect hidden causes, can put themselves into someones elses shoes, learn damn quick, and even pass their knowledge on to other individuals. Bowing

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-77060-8
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 11 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • tomilay, Dom, abaris, Aroura, Dancefortwo, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, Phaedrus, skyking, Paleophyte, Aliza

Does every thread have to be about T.rump?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(12-28-2020, 05:30 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: They can plan, suspect hidden causes, can put themselves into someones elses shoes, learn damn quick, and even pass their knowledge on to other individuals.  Bowing

They conduct wars also. There were two groups at war on my property a couple of years ago. I saw them sneak up on each other and suddenly attack...
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aroura, skyking

(12-28-2020, 05:30 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: They can plan, suspect hidden causes, can put themselves into someones elses shoes, learn damn quick, and even pass their knowledge on to other individuals.  Bowing

I'm wondering if a crow would match the ravens abilities.  I know they're closely related.  The only difference I can see is that a raven is a larger version of a crow.  When I take a walk there's a couple of crows who watch me.  They sit up on the telephone wire and follow me with their crow eyes.  I've stopped and talked to them a several times.  I asked them, "What the heck are you guys doing - sitting around on a telephone wire watching people. Don't you have something better to do?"   They 'cawed' loudly at me so I guess they were telling me to fuck off but even so I notice they watch for me.  I think they like that I talk to them.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, Little Lunch, SYZ, Inkubus

I knew that bird at my window was up to no good!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(12-28-2020, 07:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

I'm wondering if a crow would match the ravens abilities.  I know they're closely related.  The only difference I can see is that a raven is a larger version of a crow.  When I take a walk there's a couple of crows who watch me.  They sit up on the telephone wire and follow me with their crow eyes.  I've stopped and talked to them a several times.  I asked them, "What the heck are you guys doing - sitting around on a telephone wire watching people. Don't you have something better to do?"   They 'cawed' loudly at me so I guess they were telling me to fuck off but even so I notice they watch for me.  I think they like that I talk to them.
Exactly

Crows are just small ravens
R.I.P. Hannes

And don't forget magpies. Magpies love to harass cats. Google you tube, magpies harass cat for examples.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(12-28-2020, 07:59 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: And don't forget magpies.  Magpies love to harass cats.  Google you tube, magpies harass cat for examples.

Helmet camera catches aggressive magpie attacking cyclist in Australia

Quote:Magpies are known to be jerks and attacks by the swooping species are not particularly rare, so should you find yourself peddling down under, keep these abbreviated and increasingly ludicrous-sounding tips in mind. Per WikiHow’s “How to Keep Safe from Swooping Australian Magpies” (yes this exists):
  1. “Be vigilant.” That sounds like a no-brainer.
  2. “Inform others.” Again, duh.
  3. “Never harass magpies.” Even if they harass you first.
  4. “Take evasive action.” Pedal toward shelter, people!
  5. “Do not return after the encounter.” Hope that’s not your regular commute…
  6. “Improvise solutions.” Maybe build a hard dome to surround your bike?
  7. “Attach a steel nut to the end of a piece of string and swing it above your head.” Um… really?
  8. “Be aware that very aggressive magpies can attack from the ground, aiming for the face and eyes.” WAIT, WHAT?!
  9. “Have a heart.” Unless it pokes your eyes out.
  10. “Start an online magpie database for your area.” Isn’t this Step 2?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Many years ago, when I was in high school, I read a scifi story about an Earth going dry and cold. This made it attractive to the Martians and they launched an invasion, via spores, so they could move their civilization to planet #3. The plot was foiled with a raven spotted the early signs of this invasion and notified a human for action.

Even sixty years ago ravens were getting their props.

(I may be able to dig up the title of the story if there's interest.)
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom, Dancefortwo, Inkubus

Every year in a neighbouring village to where I live, we have the Crow fair. The real Crows just watch and shake their heads.  

The following 4 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Dom, Dancefortwo, Dānu, Deesse23

I remember seeing this research on PBS a few years ago.

Quote:Crows have an uncanny memory for human faces. They can hold grudges against some of us—and tell other crows about it, too. In fact, they seem to have a good sense that every person is unique and that they need to approach each of us differently.

In 2011, two researchers at the University of Washington, each wearing an identical “dangerous” mask, trapped, banded and released seven to 15 crows at five different sites near Seattle. To determine the impact of the captures on the crow population, observations were made over the next five years about the birds’ behavior by people walking a designated route that included one of the trapping sites. These observers either wore a so-called neutral mask or one of the dangerous masks worn during the initial trapping events.

Within the first two weeks after trapping, an average of 26 percent of the crows encountered scolded the person wearing the dangerous mask. Around 15 months later, that figure was 30.4 percent. Three years later, with no action towards the crows since, the number of scolding crows had grown to 66 percent. Obviously, the crows were “talking” to each other about the humans, passing on the knowledge of the threat between peers and down through generations.

There's an Aesop's Fable about a crow dropping pebbles into a pitcher of water to raise the water level so he can take a drink.  I mean, it's a 2000 year old story for gods sake and scientists have proven that crows actually do this so they understand water displacement.  It's a darned good thing crows don't have thumbs or humans would be in deep, deep trouble.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, TonyAnkle, Dānu, Deesse23, Inkubus

Half of this video is about jackdaws but at around 7:17 in this video it shows crows using tools to get food.  Ok, I'm fine with that.  That's pretty smart but it doesn't blow me away too much.   But at 8:56 and 9:31 it shows a crow bending a wire into a hook shape to get a tiny bucket of food out of a tight spot.  Now THAT is downright freaky.   

Like I said earlier, it's a darned good thing crows don't have hands with appossable thumbs -  humans would have a lot of competition.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Thumpalumpacus, Dom, skyking, Deesse23

Judge Farris in The Stand knew that crow was up to no good, too, tap-tap-tapping on his motel window.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(12-28-2020, 09:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: But at 8:56 and 9:31 it shows a crow bending a wire into a hook shape to get a tiny bucket of food out of a tight spot.  Now THAT is downright freaky.

And measurably more clever than about half my airplane mechanic students.  Think about that next time you step from the jetway into the cabin on your way to seat 33E.  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(12-28-2020, 09:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Half of this video is about jackdaws but at around 7:17 in this video it shows crows using tools to get food.  Ok, I'm fine with that.  That's pretty smart but it doesn't blow me away too much.   But at 8:56 and 9:31 it shows a crow bending a wire into a hook shape to get a tiny bucket of food out of a tight spot.  Now THAT is downright freaky.   

Like I said earlier, it's a darned good thing crows don't have hands with appossable thumbs -  humans would have a lot of competition.

Makes you wonder how long it would have taken T. rex to make tools to get that last beer out of the cooler.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(12-28-2020, 11:35 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Makes you wonder how long it would have taken T. rex to make tools to get that last beer out of the cooler.

With hands that couldn't hold a tallboy?
On hiatus.

(12-28-2020, 11:05 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: But at 8:56 and 9:31 it shows a crow bending a wire into a hook shape to get a tiny bucket of food out of a tight spot.  Now THAT is downright freaky.

And measurably more clever than about half my airplane mechanic students.  Think about that next time you step from the jetway into the cabin on your way to seat 33E.  Tongue

I've got seat 33E? On which flight? Hot damn, I need a vacation!

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Fireball, skyking

We've seen the Corvid videos here at chez Fireball, and my one son who works in a hardware store tells me that those birds are way smarter than some of the customers. #sad
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

Smart?
I don't see humans getting food for Ravens or letting them live in their houses for free.

-Cat.
The following 1 user Likes Little Lunch's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Ravens parallel great apes in physical skills?
Maybe when it's a thousand vs one. :-)

(12-29-2020, 10:18 AM)Little Lunch Wrote: Ravens parallel great apes in physical skills?
Maybe when it's a thousand vs one. :-)

Have you yet seen an ape forming a HOOK to get something?
I thought that was quite impressive. Shake
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Little Lunch, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

This made me spit out my coffee.  Big Grin

The following 3 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Little Lunch, Phaedrus, Dancefortwo

(12-29-2020, 11:51 AM)TonyAnkle Wrote: This made me spit out my coffee.  Big Grin

Apes can do that. :-)

(12-29-2020, 11:56 AM)Little Lunch Wrote: Apes can do that. :-)

Right turn Clyde!
The following 4 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Little Lunch, Inkubus, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

Man, I saw that movie with my Dad at the drive in and my mum was working in the cafeteria. :-)
The following 3 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus